Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Are Redskins Done at Wide Receiver?

bulldog

After the Jammal Brown trade looking at the Redskins roster I can't see any other positions where the confidence factor is any lower than at WR.

The draft, signings and trades have provided help at QB, OL, DL, LB, RB, and Nickel CB, but the results to date of the changes made at WR seem less than satisying.

Moss is 31 and is still rehabbing from offseason procedures.he only recently returned to practice.

With ARE gone there isn't anyone else on the roster with 50 catches in 2009 or even going back to 2008.

Galloway at 38 was cut by both NE and Pittsburgh. The Steelers then brought ARE back to town.

Bobby Wade is a career back-bencher and special teamer who at 29 seems to be winding it down. One of the worst offensive teams in the AFC, Kansas City let him go after last season.

Roydell Williams and Hagans were here last year and couldn't secure a spot on a 4-12 team. I don't see them doing it this year either.

The latest addition, Michael Furrey is 33 and hasn't posted starters numbers in 3 years.

And one has to question in Martz's system in Detroit at the time with a bombs away approach the numbers guys like Furrey and Jon Kitna put up, since they have failed to do so since.

Which leads us back to Thomas and Kelly. At 24 these guys still seem a bit lost at the NFL level. Everyone is saying the right things about working hard and improving, but for former #2 picks, when is the pure talent going to shine through?

While Kyle Shanahan has been vocal about using Davis with Cooley in a successful tag team at TE, I really haven't seen any such open-ended endorsements of #11 and #12.

It may be 'their' year to prove they can play but my guess is based upon how aggressive Shanahan and Allen have been to address needs that we aren't that far away from a trade or signing of a veteran released from another club in camp or the preseason due to money or 'fit' issues that can log starter's minutes in 2010.

You are looking at the WRs in the most negative spin as possible.

For example, using your logic the Steelers could say "We picked up ARE who was cut by one of the worst teams in the NFC and they then signed a 38 yr old Galloway to replace him".

Truth is, I have no clue who will make this team, or even how well they will perform. I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt for now.

I think the skins probably are done upgrading the wr core.

I'm not quite as down on the 2nd rounders as everyone else, I agree they haven't shown ****, but they didn't exactly have a lot of.opportunities and they were playing in one of the NFLs worst offenses

Try CB's for an area of much needed improvement. Especially over WR. Lot's of choices there who they should keep.

CB's on the other hand is more like who are they going to be stuck with - unless they get some real choices in there.

This is true. I didn't mean to say "the" priority....rather "a" priority!

:point2sky

Try CB's for an area of much needed improvement. Especially over WR. Lot's of choices there who they should keep.

CB's on the other hand is more like who are they going to be stuck with - unless they get some real choices in there.

I dont aagree here. I have heard nothing but praise about Kevin Barnes and have also heard compliments of Tryon as well so far in OTA's. I think we will be just fine in our secondary.

I think our receivers will be fine with Donovan under center.

I think that's a good way of looking at it...

I mean, these past few years, we've been seeing our receivers at an impaired level so-to-speak, due to the ineptitude at quarterback.

Finally, with some real talent, it'll be hard for us to gauge what we truly have until the season begins.

I am sure the coaching staff will make the right decision and if we don't upgrade, I'll take that as a very positive sign.

There's not much left out there if 11 & 12 prove to really be busts, though...

TO? Maybe Shanahan would like another flier on Javon Walker? The market's thin and I can't see us doing any more trades unless it's player for player.

By the way, Roydell only missed out on the team last year because he broke his finger.

I just want to get my facts straight but, isn't Thomas also nursing a hamstring injury? The injury would just make the Thomas and Kelly situation even more concerning if it's true IMO.

But yeah bulldog when you stop and break the position down the way that you did, one would think that our new FO is not quite finished with bringing in players.

I share your concerns, bulldog, and have posted such. Thomas still shows promise, but MK remains unproven and quite questionable, and Moss was never fully utilized by the previous QB buts is aging as normal. By the standards of being a really competitive team in a rough division, we are weak in WR's, period. I believe we can design the passing game to compensate via the abilities of our TE's and pass-catching from RB's (especially if we get Westbrook, aging as he is too). But we need to improve at WR. The fact that I agree with choosing a guy whose best days are well behind him (Galloway) over many folks' man-crush (and a guy I also like and wish well--Marko) just brought it even more home to me how this is still a weak spot by the standard we want to hold for this team's future.

I'm trying to hold out hope for DT and MK, but this is it for the excuses. Year 1 was "they were injured and didn't take the preperation seriously"...Year 2, "It was like a rookie year for both of them since they didn't get playing time"....What will it be in year 3? They will really have to let loose, starting in training camp and going into the first preseason game.

Now that we have a QB that can see open receivers, I think you will see more production out of Thomas and Kelly.

Similarly, I'm curious to see how DeSean Jackson and Jeremy Maclin fair this season. Will they still thrive? Will their performance decline? Was it McNabb who was making them look good? Or the other way around. Guess we'll all find out soon enough...

I understand that we're trying to field a championship team this season, but unfortunately, we can't fix everything in one offseason.

The only way I could see pulling off a major upgrade right now is somehow trading Haynesworth for an above-average receiver. I'm not talking Andre Johnson because that's delusional, but I'm talking someone in the 60-catches range.

Otherwise, unfortunately, I think this is an area of concern that's going to have to wait until 2011.

I dont aagree here. I have heard nothing but praise about Kevin Barnes and have also heard compliments of Tryon as well so far in OTA's. I think we will be just fine in our secondary.

Check the. "What have done lately?' department. I hope you are right. But that is putting a whole lot of faith in guys that are unproven underfire.

And even if one or the other (and I have doubts about Tryon this year) does rise to the occasion - what about the other CB holes? You are pinning a lot of hopes and dreams on guys that simply have not performed. They may one day but expecting them all to develop at the same time in the same year is a real stretch.

Face it - this is a patchwork secondary. Take off the burgundy, gold rimmed sunglasses for a moment. The CB position is much weaker right now than WR position is.

Similarly, I'm curious to see how DeSean Jackson and Jeremy Maclin fair this season. Will they still thrive? Will their performance decline? Was it McNabb who was making them look good? Or the other way around. Guess we'll all find out soon enough...

Good point. Thats a situation i will keep my eye on very closely. I'm hoping that the inconsistancy with MK and DT was due mostly to an uncreative playbook coupled with a sitting duck @ QB. We will see.....

i don't think Shanny is satisfied at the position, but unfortunately there is not an abundance of preferable and available alternatives. unless of course you want to play russian roulette with T.O.

i agree with TheDane that a trade is probably the only way we could obtain a difference-maker, but we have already disposed of at least two of next year's mid-round picks. haynesworth might be the key.

As another poster already stated...McNabb and an improved O-line will make the WRs look better. It's not like Thomas and Kelly had passes clanking off their hands and running the wrong routes every game. I liked what I saw in flashes from Thomas and Kelly last year and I believe they make strides in terms of consistency this year with the improvements already made to the offense.

Moss, Thomas, Kelly, Cooley, and Davis as pass-catchers gives Kyle Shanahan quite a bit to play with assuming the O-line can keep McNabb upright and McNabb, himself, is still able to make plays (which I think we all believe he still can).

If the Skins did bring another WR in, I think it will be due to a training-camp injury. Maybe *gulp*--T.O.

i don't think Shanny is satisfied at the position, but unfortunately there is not an abundance of preferable and available alternatives. unless of course you want to play russian roulette with T.O.

i agree with TheDane that a trade is probably the only way we could obtain a difference-maker, but we have already disposed of at least two of next year's mid-round picks. haynesworth might be the key.

I read on Rotoworld that AH says he will attend training camp "honoring his contract", but it may simply be a ploy to facilitate a trade since his value is sinking by the day.

Read for yourself...

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/HeadLines.aspx?sport=NFL&hl=175123

In a statement, Albert Haynesworth said he will report to Redskins training camp on time, in shape and ready to play football.

The disgruntled Haynesworth apparently got a stern talking to from someone, as today's statement is a complete turnaround from his actions over the last couple of weeks. "Despite my current differences with the Redskins, I have always planned to attend training camp and honor my contract," Haynesworth said. It's probably too late for Haynesworth to mend fences with his teammates, but showing some class could help spark a trade. Jun. 23 - 11:26 am et

Source: Rick Maese on Twitter

ARE was a salary cap move. We had to do it this year in case a cap was implemented next year. He is better than Gallaway. Gallaway, Williams, and Furrey all scare me. Hopefully 1 can put together a decent season because at some point one will be asked to contribute. MK and DT have been nothing short of disappointing. Who knows with these guys.

I agree that WR looks weak. However, I believe that WR is an over-rated position. If the QB is putting balls where they should be; the line protects the QB; and the line creates holes for the RBs, then average talent at WR will start to look pretty good.

With that said, I have confidence that MS and BA are always looking to upgrade. If something realistic is out there, they will make the right move. They will not panic and mortgage the future.

It all depends on the development of Thomas/Kelly.

If those guys shine then the Skins won't look thin at the position at all.

I'm not too confident on those guys, but we've only seen them under Zorn. I will reserve final condemnation until I see them under Shanny for a year.

Donovan had Todd Pinkston, Freddie Mitchell, and Kevin Curtis as his Wrs for awhile.....sooooo yeah...

I'm not really worried at all, At this stage of the NFL....players are so versatile and multi-faceted that those things are not as important. With RBs, H-Backs (Dennis Morris), and TEs catching the ball..it gives the WRs space to do theyre thing....

I also think you're doubting Moss's abilities...31 is not as old as you think...and with the way our offense performed last year, he has gotten alot of rest believe it or not. Moss will ball out this year.

I also think you're forgetting or doubting the abilities of Kyle's offensive schemes. Yes he had Andre Johnson in Houston but the rest of Houston's WRs are average...Kyle will allow our RBs and our TEs to line up as WRs and catch alot of balls.

Don't doubt Thomas and Kelly neither...these are young strong bodies ready to break out under Kyle's different looks...Remember Thomas catching balls from Jason last year and just breaking tackles one-by-one....remember Kelly in that San DIego game....

I also think you're doubting Galloway....Galloway is a beast and he can be an excellent 1-2 year stop gap for us...he can also mentor a guy like Terrence Austin...which I believe will come in here and beast out at Training camp....There have been nothing but positive words for Terrence Austin and I think his work ethic will get him far...

WR

1. Moss

2. Thomas

3. Kelly

4. Galloway

5. Austin

6. Wade (possibly, just for depth)

TE

1. Cooley

2. Davis

3. Morris (H-back)

HB

1. Portis

2. Johnson

3. Westbrook

4. Torain

FB

1. Sellers

With Mcnabb's natural ability and Kyle's offensive play making, I have NO worries about our offense.

I think DT and MK are primed to have good, productive years. I will shy away from saying breakout/difference making type of a year just because they barely saw the ball last year. But I think Mcnabb will be instrumental in their success.

Archived