Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WaPo: Gen. Stanley McChrystal coming to Washington to explain anti-administration comments

Redskins Diehard

Yes, but the attacks are coming from other places and other people. So what's to say that being in Afghanistan is deterring anything? I think the problem was and remains airport security, no fly list, surveillance of terrorists, etc. It's not like we had no idea there was some plan to attack us and were completely blindsided. If we spent as much money on working on tools that help us connect the dots instead of country building.... who knows. I hope we have goodwill from the Iraqis and Afghanis, I really do, and for them our money is worth it. But at some point we have to admit reaching diminishing returns.

You're point would advocate us being in Iraq and Afghanistan forever, or elsewhere since someone wants to attack us. I think we need to work on a better defense.

I believe, and have always believed that once we are in the Middle East, we are not coming out. For me, that opinion hasn't changed. The easiest, most efficient path to market for illegal drugs being grown is through Afghanistan. The terrorist who was just found guilty received training in Pakistan. I know that our presence in Afghanistan has had an impact on terrorist activities.

Diminishing returns is more a point of the situation that exist between McChrystal, this Administration, Holbrooke and Eikenberry. That group is not able to function efficiently. I mean, it is what it is and I believe that McChrystal is gone, even though he is probably the best guy for the job, but that eventuality is probably unavoidable.

That was my attempt to synthesize between McCrystal and his staff. Just because he never went directly "on-record" doesn't mean anything, those were clear thoughts on page 1 I gleamed from McCrystal, and the existence of this article. The President runs the whole country. So when you insult the Vice President's strategy (which no doubt was approved by the President, went through his office and advisors, etc.), you are insulting the President. That's the whole point of calling McCrystal back the first time and meeting him on AF1.

Do you think Obama's cabinet and officials up there act independent of the White House? While it's true they can have internal debate, no doubt there was White House (ergo Obama) approval prior to Biden putting his strategy on the table.

Why does UCMJ Article 88 mention the President, Vice President, other cabinet level positions? Because those are other top-level civilians and insulting them or showing a lack of respect for them and their positions undermines the cilivian-military control.

This article was pre-cleared to be run and I have no doubt that when the author wrote he he cleared it through McCyrstal's staff. Whether McChrystal personally cleared it in its form is another question, however that's why the staff member got fired.

No, the President did not approve the Vice President's strategy as you claim. The President approved McChrystal's strategy. Biden wanted a drawdown...that didn't happen...http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/23/world/asia/23policy.html?_r=1. You are factually incorrect in that position.

No, the military does not "clear" what journalists write. Freedom of the Press is something you must be familiar with. You are factually incorrect there as well.

No, the President did not approve the Vice President's strategy as you claim. The President approved McChrystal's strategy. Biden wanted a drawdown...that didn't happen...http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/23/world/asia/23policy.html?_r=1. You are factually incorrect in that position.

No, the military does not "clear" what journalists write. Freedom of the Press is something you must be familiar with. You are factually incorrect there as well.

He didn't really approved McChrystal's plan either. Don't forget that McChrystal requested an additional 80K troops, with no publicized deadline for withdrawal, to begin deploying last summer and fall. He stated he could take on risk with a minimum of 40K. He got 30K, a publicized withdrawal date and a major delay to boot. If this war is lost it was lost last fall by the President (He could change strategy again to recover which is why I say if it is lost).

Word is that we will find out within the hour.

WaPo now has the three front runners to replace him if he is canned.(which I do not think is a foregone conclusion at this point...wouldn't bet on either outcome). Mattis would be an interesting pick

Matthis is due to rotate out of the JFCOM postion and he was

passed over for the Marine Commandant job. Good and bad.

It means he is free for another job but it also means that

he is not on their list of top folks.

He didn't really approved McChrystal's plan either. Don't forget that McChrystal requested an additional 80K troops, with no publicized deadline for withdrawal, to begin deploying last summer and fall. He stated he could take on risk with a minimum of 40K. He got 30K, a publicized withdrawal date and a major delay to boot. If this war is lost it was lost last fall by the President (He could change strategy again to recover which is why I say if it is lost).

I would say that he came much MUCH closer to choosing McChrystal's plan over Biden's plan. Published withdrawal dates and 30k instead of 40k were Pres Obama's moves to demonstrate control. I mean, we saw what happened with the published closure date of Guantanamo.

Matthis is due to rotate out of the JFCOM postion and he was

passed over for the Marine Commandant job. Good and bad.

It means he is free for another job but it also means that

he is not on their list of top folks.

I know nothing about the other Marine General listed. And not much more about Gen Rodriguez.

At this point I would not be surprised by either outcome with McChrystal

I would say that he came much MUCH closer to choosing McChrystal's plan over Biden's plan. Published withdrawal dates and 30k instead of 40k were Pres Obama's moves to demonstrate control. I mean, we saw what happened with the published closure date of Guantanamo.

Unfortunately in this case publishing the withdrawal date essentially turned off our Afghan allies (See Karzai's behaviour) which where essential for this operation. It was a horrendously bad mistake by the President and there is no sugar coating it.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_obama_mcchrystal;_ylt=Ahw_vk4cbN3zlfkE5LjE7kqs0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTNqZTdycHM3BGFzc2V0A2FwLzIwMTAwNjIzL3VzX29iYW1hX21jY2hyeXN0YWwEY2NvZGUDbW9zdHBvcHVsYXIEY3BvcwMxBHBvcwMyBHB0A2hvbWVfY29rZQRzZWMDeW5fdG9wX3N0b3J5BHNsawNtY2NocnlzdGFsb

AP source: Obama replaces McChrystal with Petraeus

By JENNIFER LOVEN and ANNE GEARAN, Associated Press Writers Jennifer Loven And Anne Gearan, Associated Press Writers – 5 mins ago

WASHINGTON – A senior administration official tells The Associated Press that President Barack Obama has accepted Gen. Stanley McChrystal's resignation as the top U.S. commander in Afghanistan and is replacing him with Gen. David Petraeus, head of U.S. Central Command.

McChrystal was pushed out over his blistering remarks about administration officials quoted in a magazine interview.

After an Oval Office meeting with McChrystal in the morning, Obama huddled with his war advisers and planned to announce his decision on the general's fate to the nation at 1:30 p.m. EDT in the Rose Garden.

The official spoke only on condition of anonymity, because the president's announcement was not yet public. Petraeus now oversees the wars in both Afghanistan and Iraq.

THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP's earlier story is below.

WASHINGTON (AP) — A source tells The Associated Press that President Barack Obama will name Gen. David Petraeus to succeed Gen. Stanley McChrystal as top war commander in Afghanistan.

Risky move for Petraeus. Tremendous success in spite of his detractors in Iraq. Is it possible to do better in Afghanistan?

Maybe he doesn't care about that, and just wants to help his country as best he can when asked to do so? :whoknows:

Risky move for Petraeus. Tremendous success in spite of his detractors in Iraq. Is it possible to do better in Afghanistan?

Petraeus has extensive SF experience as well as a better command of political situations.

Petraeus serverd as Commander of both the 101st and 82nd. Those skills are going to be vital in Afghanistan. Petraeus should have been the Theator Commander all along but, he was due and so, McChrystal was the choice. McChrystal served under Petraus and was recommended to be the Theator Commander, replacing McKiernan, by Petraus. Petraus, I hope, will figure out a way to work with all parties involved. That's the key to winning IMO.

Petraeus has extensive SF experience as well as a better command of political situations.

Petraeus serverd as Commander of both the 101st and 82nd. Those skills are going to be vital in Afghanistan. Petraeus should have been the Theator Commander all along but, he was due and so, McChrystal was the choice. McChrystal served under Petraus and was recommended to be the Theator Commander, replacing McKiernan, by Petraus. Petraus, I hope, will figure out a way to work with all parties involved. That's the key to winning IMO.

Petraeus never commanded the 82d. And has spent most/all of this time in the conventional Army.

No doubt you are right.

I think you guys are missing the point here. Petraus is a Soldier in the U.S. Military. He goes where he is ordered to go. This is not about what he wants to do or go. It's about where the CiC orders him to go. His options are to follow orders, Resign Commision or Court Martial for failing to follow a lawful order.

EOS

Archived