Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WaPo: Gen. Stanley McChrystal coming to Washington to explain anti-administration comments

Redskins Diehard

I think you guys are missing the point here. Petraus is a Soldier in the U.S. Military. He goes where he is ordered to go. This is not about what he wants to do or go. It's about where the CiC orders him to go. His options are to follow orders, Resign Commision or Court Martial for failing to follow a lawful order.

EOS

He has other options, namely retirement. And I am sure the President consulted with him before this decision. GEN Petraeus is not some private or lieutenant.

I think you guys are missing the point here. Petraus is a Soldier in the U.S. Military. He goes where he is ordered to go. This is not about what he wants to do or go. It's about where the CiC orders him to go. His options are to follow orders, Resign Commision or Court Martial for failing to follow a lawful order.

EOS

What if he doesn't want to play in NT in a 3/4?

Petraeus never commanded the 82d. And has spent most/all of this time in the conventional Army.

Your wrong. Petraeus Servers as both ADCO and CG of the 82nd Airborne just prior to deploying for Kuwait as part of Desert Storm.

In 2003, Petraus was Commander of the 101st Airborne Division during the drive to Baghdad.

He has other options, namely retirement. And I am sure the President consulted with him before this decision. GEN Petraeus is not some private or lieutenant.

Well, I gave that as one of three options but if he want's to stay in the Military, he goes where he's ordered. I don't believe he asked for this assignment. No General in their right mind would. I believe he was ordered by the President because, this is about the only move he can make that will give him safe haven on this deal. I think he was ordered.

ADM Mullen will play no role whatsoever. You might want to learn who is and who isn't in the chain of command. Figured they'd teach you that as freshmen.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/POLITICS/06/23/general.mcchrystal.obama.apology/index.html?hpt=T1&iref=BN1

McChrystal met Defense Secretary Robert Gates and Adm. Mike Mullen, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, before going to the White House Wednesday morning, Pentagon spokesman Geoff Morrell said.

I know how the chain of command works just fine, thanks.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/asiapcf/06/23/afghanistan.reax.general.mcchrystal/index.html?hpt=T1

What's the fuss, Afghans ask about McChrystal controversy

Kabul, Afghanistan (CNN) -- Washington may be up in arms over General Stanley McChrystal's comments to Rolling Stone magazine about the U.S. mission in Afghanistan and how some of his colleagues are handling it -- but some in Afghanistan are asking what the fuss is all about.

McChrystal arrived in Afghanistan last summer as the top NATO commander -- but if Washington is mad at the general, his friends in Afghanistan seem to be unaffected.

Many among the local population in Kabul say that McChrystal revamped the forgotten war, putting it on a different path and instilling a counter-insurgency strategy (COIN) in an attempt to regain the trust of the Afghan people.

He instilled a new hope, they argue, for those Afghans who actually backed the war effort, also angering the Taliban -- which ramped up their PR -- in the battle for hearts and minds.

President Hamid Karzai has vocally expressed his support for General McChrystal and called him the "best" commander for the war in Afghanistan, according to his spokesman Waheed Omar.

He added that McChrystal is a man of great integrity who understands the Afghan people and their culture and that Karzai hopes president Barack Obama will not replace the commanding general with someone else.

McChrystal and Karzai have built a strong relationship in the year he has been in Afghanistan, flying to districts and provinces in order to gain the support of villagers while showing a united front.

Like the 101st, the 82nd is part of the conventional army. In any case, he commanded an airborne brigade in the 82nd back in the 1990s when he was featured in Tom Clancy's Airborne.

I am well aware of where the 101st and 82d fall. Spent my entire career in the 18th Airborne Corps. "Commanding in the 82d" and "Commanding the 82d" are two different things. And a one month stint as acting commander between McNeil and Vines doesn't really equate to "Commanding the 82d".

You might want to reread the Wiki entry.....

OK. Here is what Wiki says.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Petraeus

Commands held

U.S. Central Command

Multi-National Force - Iraq

U.S. Army Combined Arms Center and Fort Leavenworth

Multi-National Security Transition Command Iraq

101st Airborne Division (Air Assault)

1st Brigade, 82nd Airborne Division

3rd Battalion, 187th Infantry Regiment

A Company, 2nd Battalion, 19th Infantry Regiment (Mechanized)

Battles/wars Operation Joint Forge (Bosnia)

Operation Uphold Democracy (Haiti)

Operation Desert Spring (Kuwait)

Operation Iraqi Freedom

Awards Defense Distinguished Service Medal (2)

Army Distinguished Service Medal (2)

Defense Superior Service Medal (2)

Legion of Merit (4)

Bronze Star with Valor V

Defense Meritorious Service Medal

During 1993–94, Petraeus continued his long association with the 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault) as the division's Assistant Chief of Staff, G-3 (plans, operations and training) and installation Director of Plans, Training, and Mobilization (DPTM). In 1995, he was assigned to the United Nations Mission in Haiti Military Staff as its Chief Operations Officer during Operation Uphold Democracy. His next command, from 1995–97, was the 1st Brigade, 82nd Airborne Division, centered on the 504th Parachute Infantry Regiment. At that post, his brigade's training cycle at Fort Polk's Joint Readiness Training Center for low-intensity warfare was chronicled by novelist and military enthusiast Tom Clancy in his book Airborne. From 1997-99 Petraeus served in the Pentagon as Executive Assistant to the Director of the Joint Staff and then to the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs, Gen. Henry Shelton, who described Petraeus as "a high-energy individual who likes to lead from the front, in any field he is going into."[30] In 1999, as a brigadier general, Petraeus returned to the 82nd, serving as the assistant division commander for operations and then, briefly, as acting commanding general. During his time with the 82nd, he deployed to Kuwait as part of Operation Desert Spring, the continuous rotation of combat forces through Kuwait during the decade after the Gulf War.

In 2003, Petraeus, then a Major General, saw combat for the first time when he commanded the 101st Airborne Division during V Corps's drive to Baghdad.

I am well aware of where the 101st and 82d fall. Spent my entire career in the 18th Airborne Corps. "Commanding in the 82d" and "Commanding the 82d" are two different things. And a one month stint as acting commander between McNeil and Vines doesn't really equate to "Commanding the 82d".

This may be so but, it does not change the fact that he does have command experience with SF operations, which as you know, is vital to the posting in Afghanistan.

What if he doesn't want to play in NT in a 3/4?

Aha -- I went to the last page in this thread, read this first, and became suddenly confused.

"Did I somehow switch tabs to an article about Haynesworth?!"

Well done. :-)

Okay dude. I spent 4 years in the 82d. A tour in Afghanistan and Iraq. I think I know whether or not it is SF. I have NO IDEA where you could get the idea that they are SF.

Are you seriously going to try and tell me that Airborne Troops are not used as SFs? Airborne is the training ground for Airborne Rangers and many other SF operations. Air Borne Soldiers are not conventional Soldiers. They are Special Operational Soldiers. However, if you are a former member of the 82nd, that's fine. I am not going to tell you what you are or are not. If you say you aren't then OK. However, the central point being made is that Petraeus does have experience with SFs in comabat operations. He does.

Are you seriously going to try and tell me that Airborne Troops are not used as SFs? Airborne is the training ground for Airborne Rangers and many other SF operations. Air Borne Soldiers are not conventional Soldiers. They are Special Operational Soldiers. However, if you are a former member of the 82nd, that's fine. I am not going to tell you what you are or are not. If you say you aren't then OK. However, the central point being made is that Petraeus does have experience with SFs in comabat operations. He does.

you clearly have no idea what you are talking about.

you clearly have no idea what you are talking about.

OK.

You asked me to read Wiki and I did. It clearly states that he has commanded in the 82nd and 101st, which I believe you said he did not. He has been the theater commander in Iraq, of which, SFs have been prerminantly stationed, since 2003. He has command experience with SFs.

That's not how the military works, this is an incredibly serious issue. The chain of command has to be respected here, and clearly he doesn't respect it. General or not he must be held accountable. Obama needs to fire him and Adm. Mullen and Gates will decide if there's any use left for him in the Army.

this makes me rather angry.

you're right!

and all of you serving in the SPECOPS community: do so honorably, follow lawful orders, watch out for your comrades...and get out at the first opportunity. you have a bunch of clowns running the show who have no clue what they are doing.

OK.

You asked me to read Wiki and I did. It clearly states that he has commanded in the 82nd and 101st, which I believe you said he did not. He has been the theater commander in Iraq, of which, SFs have been prerminantly stationed, since 2003. He has command experience with SFs.

You said he commanded the 101st and 82d. He commanded the 101st...he commanded in the 82d. Further you claim that the 101st and the 82d are special operations/SF...they are not. Neither one of them.

You said he commanded the 101st and 82d. He commanded the 101st...he commanded in the 82d. Further you claim that the 101st and the 82d are special operations/SF...they are not. Neither one of them.

They are not Special Forces as in Rangers or SEALS but they are not conventional troops either. They are Special Operations Troops.

What is Commanding General of the 82nd Airborne Division?

What does this mean?

"2003, Petraeus, then a Major General, saw combat for the first time when he commanded the 101st Airborne Division during V Corps's drive to Baghdad. "

Archived