Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WaPo: Gen. Stanley McChrystal coming to Washington to explain anti-administration comments

Redskins Diehard

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/06/22/AR2010062200813.html?hpid=topnews

KABUL -- The top U.S. general in Afghanistan was summoned to Washington for a White House meeting after apologizing Tuesday for flippant and dismissive remarks about top Obama administration officials involved in Afghanistan policy.

---------------------------------------

I was really in favor of McChrystal getting that assignment and supported Pres Obama in his bold move to replace the commanding general early. I will not be surprised if McChrystal does not survive this article. It will be tough to find someone better for the position though.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/06/22/AR2010062200813.html?hpid=topnews

KABUL -- The top U.S. general in Afghanistan was summoned to Washington for a White House meeting after apologizing Tuesday for flippant and dismissive remarks about top Obama administration officials involved in Afghanistan policy.

---------------------------------------

I was really in favor of McChrystal getting that assignment and supported Pres Obama in his bold move to replace the commanding general early. I will not be surprised if McChrystal does not survive this article. It will be tough to find someone better for the position though.

I dont care what he thinks, I dont care if he's makingg great points and exposing a serious issue.

He needs to get fired, get busted rank etc etc etc.

His job is to do what the CIC tells him to do to the best of his ability and not to question it. Further, he needs to sell that plan to HIS subordinates.

Write your book when you retire, but until then, shut your trap and do as youre told.

I dont care what he thinks, I dont care if he's makingg great points and exposing a serious issue.

His job is to do what the CIC tells him to do to the best of his ability and not to question it. Further, he needs to sell that plan to HIS subordinates.

Write your book when you retire, but until then, shut your trap and do as youre told.

He won't get busted in rank. He will likely retire.

Sad to see a guy who put in so many years of his life for something he believes in, to stumble like this.

I kind of hope they ask him not to resign. Very sick of this culture where taking out a person who's to blame is more important than fixing the issue at hand.

Man, it just seems like everything is a real mess, from the economy, to the wars, to the oil volcano in the gulf....Seems like those at the top are starting to get real frustrated. This has to be a huge blow to the morale of our troops.

Sad to see a guy who put in so many years of his life for something he believes in, to stumble like this.

I kind of hope they ask him not to resign. Very sick of this culture where taking out a person who's to blame is more important than fixing the issue at hand.

That's not how the military works, this is an incredibly serious issue. The chain of command has to be respected here, and clearly he doesn't respect it. General or not he must be held accountable. Obama needs to fire him and Adm. Mullen and Gates will decide if there's any use left for him in the Army.

this makes me rather angry.

That's not how the military works, this is an incredibly serious issue. The chain of command has to be respected here, and clearly he doesn't respect it. General or not he must be held accountable. Obama needs to fire him and Adm. Mullen and Gates will decide if there's any use left for him in the Army.

this makes me rather angry.

Two posters who I disagree with often but this shows why I'm always interested in what they have to say.

Exactly. I may not know much about the military, but I know that you do as you're told by your CO, and that includes generals.

Whether we like it or not, Obama is the Commander-In-Chief and he must be treated with respect, especially by the men who serve under him.

Yes he should be fired, but the sad thing is he basically confirmed what those critizing the President, during the Afghan debate last year, were saying.
Well, no, he confirmed nothing, what he did was voice his opinion.

I don't believe he should blindly follow orders, he needs to voice his opinions - PRIVATELY - to the President and his advisors. Once that's done, then he needs to shut up and follow orders or resign.

I know Kilmer and others are correct (and Fox and FoxNews/moron-fans are going to do the same brain-donor dances they always do), but I personally like intelligent dissent even at the top. But I defer to the valid points ya'all make on the matter and well know the military chain of command needs to be different for proper functioning. There are appropriate ways you express dissent in that realm. And I remember how Johnson and Nixon took plenty of heat about politicized/strategic choices and their own "field competency" during Vietnam. But while getting crucified in public venues, they didn't suffer their top military staff fragging the CIC or his cronies in the media.

McCrystal is done. It's to bad too. He will be replaced with a yes man and this War is going to get ugly.

Going to get? It already is, at least by our current standards.

In case anyone hasn't seen it, here's a link to the Rolling Stone article. It has a fair amount of swearing in it, so it may be NSFW.

Deejay, per some accounts, the firing of Mac in '51 had to due with grave concerns over nuclear policy and increasing Korean tensions leading up to that war. I'm sure there was a lot of stuff between them and way more than one factor involved, but their arguments over nuclear polciy and attitudes towards the Asian theater (and the Asian role in the world) during a crucial time was said to be key (as I remember).

He won't get busted in rank. He will likely retire.

I disagree. This is a wood shed moment.. not a career ending moment.

Not unless they are otherwise unhappy with McChystal's performance and we are unware of that.

This isn't even all that uncommon.

Archived