Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why do soccer fans want me to watch soccer so badly?

In my experience, soccer fans want you to watch soccer so their favorite sport can grow in this country. If more athletes were committed to soccer we could seriously become an international power within 20 years. We need better grass roots level coaching to start and better organization for promising young teenagers so that they develop properly. young teenagers in Europe are already working with professional clubs and coaches by the time they are 16. Here they are playing varsity high school soccer which is just complete **** in comparison.

Football is primarily about strength, speed, size and toughness, and a bit of technique (at least at the high school level, where there is more of a gap in pedigree and atheleticism between the best and worse players). Soccer is about skill, speed, quickness, and size (at least height) as well, but not much in the way of toughness of strength. On the other hand, it involves more conditioning and endurance than football.

Which is why Rugby is the most physically and athletically challenging sport there is.

90 minutes of non stop brutality without pads.

In my experience, soccer fans want you to watch soccer so their favorite sport can grow in this country. If more athletes were committed to soccer we could seriously become an international power within 20 years. We need better grass roots level coaching to start and better organization for promising young teenagers so that they develop properly. young teenagers in Europe are already working with professional clubs and coaches by the time they are 16. Here they are playing varsity high school soccer which is just complete **** in comparison.

You are correct but there is this little thing called football that kids want to play. It's never going to happen. The guys that run the league I coach.in are trying to implement european coaching methods, it's just not going to work. They are proposing taking away the games for U6 and having 3 V 3 clinics and practice on sundays which is downright freaking boring. The kids hate practice and love the games.

I agree with small side games so the kids can get more touches, scoring a goal really does help build the childs confidence. Some of the stuff they want us to teach 4 and 5 years olds is way over the top. So they think this new method of boring the kids is going to create a dominant group of kids for the future, when in all reality at least 66 percent of them are going to play baseball and football and forget they even played soccer.

It's a third tier sport in the US and until football and baseball are banned, it always will be.

Which is why Rugby is the most physically and athletically challenging sport there is.

90 minutes of non stop brutality without pads.

Where do they play 90 minute games in rugby? It's usually 40 minute halves.

And "non stop brutality"? :ols: It's not a one vs one cage match.

This thread is full of humorless petty bickering that just demonstrates ignorance of other sports.

Cricket is like mens field hockey, no one cares about it because it's gay.

You may think that men's field hockey and cricket are gay, but many of the England, New Zealand, Australian and South African international rugby players play all three sports. But they actually understand the sports and play them at a high level, rather than talk **** about them on a message board.

I want you to watch soccer? Really?

Here's the reality. I don't. If you do please don't do so around me. I hate when a US sports fan "experimenting" pops up in my vicinity while I'm enjoying a game to annoy me. I want to be surrounded with soccer fans during the world cup whenever possible.

Imagine watching the NFL playoffs at a bar and having a Frenchmen pull up next to you and start saying things like this:

"Why is that a foul?!"

"I can see why this game isn't popular worldwide!" followed by a smirk

"Why does this stupid sport stop all the time?!"

"I can see why this game isn't popular worldwide!"

"Why isn't that a foul?!"

"OMG another commercial break?!"

"They aren't scoring enough touchdowns, we've been sitting here for half the game and they've only scored twice... how hard can it be to run with a ball?!"

"This game will never be popular in the rest of the world"

That is what people forcing themselves to watch soccer are like much of the time. It's the world cup. It's the biggest sporting event on the planet and something the nations in it have been working for YEARS (literally) to reach. You think I want to explain basic **** and deal with moronic comments?

If you can't appreciate it, don't. The World Cup is in absolutely no danger of ceasing to be due to the absence of US enthusiasm. They've never needed US sports fan support and they likely never will. The only thing that matters to me is that I get to enjoy it because I love it. It's like March Madness x100. I only get to do this once every 4 years.

winner of the thread.......:point2sky

Where do they play 90 minute games in rugby? It's usually 40 minute halves.

And "non stop brutality"? :ols: It's not a one vs one cage match.

This thread is full of humorless petty bickering that just demonstrates ignorance of other sports.

80 minutes was a typo, not ignorance. Played the game through my college days and then some mens club.

You may think that men's field hockey and cricket are gay, but many of the England, New Zealand, Australian and South African international rugby players play all three sports. But they actually understand the sports and play them at a high level, rather than talk **** about them on a message board.

International Rugby players play field hockey at a "high level". :ols:

Seriously? Comeon Maaan. :ols:

As a kid, we would play a combination of rugby and football on a patch of land in the neighborhood.

And by that, I mean we just played football with no pads. :D

The thing is, no one ever got hurt and we always had a good time. Of course, our mothers never knew about that. :ols:

International Rugby players play field hockey at a "high level". :ols:

Seriously? Comeon Maaan. :ols:

You really haven't a clue. Having played in both Ireland and England I can tell you that many players were involved in rugby, field hockey and cricket until picking on one to focus on later in life. Many of the Springboks, Kiwis and Aussies we played were involved in all three sports too. They would still play them at a very decent standard in the off season.

You see many adult sports clubs with a long history that have teams in all three sports.

Just because folks in the USA think rugby is some "bad ass" sport only for hard men, and other sports are for sissies, it is not reality in the rest of the world where the game is, you know, actually understood and played at a high level. :)

Just because folks in the USA think rugby is some "bad ass" sport only for hard men, and other sports are for sissies, it is not reality in the rest of the world where the game is, you know, actually understood and played at a high level. :)

Based on how most soccer players react when they get touched, ill go ahead an assume the majority of them wouldn't fair well in Rugby.

You really haven't a clue. Having played in both Ireland and England I can tell you that many players were involved in rugby, field hockey and cricket until picking on one to focus on later in life. Many of the Springboks, Kiwis and Aussies we played were involved in all three sports too. They would still play them at a very decent standard in the off season.

You see many adult sports clubs with a long history that have teams in all three sports.

Word, some of those European men's field hockey games get pretty brutal.

Based on how most soccer players react when they get touched, ill go ahead an assume the majority of them wouldn't fair well in Rugby.

How is that relevant to my comment? How does your lack of understanding of rugby, field hockey, and cricket have anything to do with soccer players?

How is that relevant to my comment? How does your lack of understanding of rugby, field hockey, and cricket have anything to do with soccer players?

Let's correct one thing, I have a full understanding of Rugby, what I don't know is, how clubs are structured in europe. With that said, I still have my doubts about rugby players also playing mens field hockey on a "high level".

Some of the earliest versions of the game were played in 3000 BC....

And they had bad teeth and terrible bathing habits back then too which most of the world still has. Should we support those bad choices too?

I'm sure Navy Davicus The Great said back then that he rather watch the mud bricks dry than be bored to death watching the prehistoric version of It Sux.

Don't forget that the US Soccer Team is a Christian Team

Being Christian not only means acknowledging sin but dealing with bad and dumb choices in life :)

God probably "rested" cough slept, on the 6th day after he watched a soccer game.

j/k

It is rather strange, though, that we seem to be the only nation that doesn't only embrace soccer, but actually loathes it. It's not the number one sport in Canada (Hockey), Australia, or South Africa (Rugby). I don't even know if it's particularly popular in East Asia.

But, we seem to be the one country in the world that actually dislikes soccer.

Soccer is the Beets, Liver or Haggis of entertainment to us where we have plenty of tasty options.

Imagine watching the NFL playoffs at a bar and having a Frenchmen pull up next to you and start saying things like this:

"Why is that a foul?!"

"Why does this stupid sport stop all the time?!"

"Why isn't that a foul?!"

"OMG another commercial break?!"

"They aren't scoring enough touchdowns, we've been sitting here for half the game and they've only scored twice... how hard can it be to run with a ball?!"

"This game will never be popular in the rest of the world"

He is French so annoying is part of his makeup and 98% Americans don't care what Euros have say about our sports.

The World Cup is in absolutely no danger of ceasing to be due to the absence of US enthusiasm. They've never needed US sports fan support and they likely never will.

And the majority of Americans will not lose sleep if its not aired.

It's like March Madness x100. In the USA not even close.

I loved to play, but don't care to watch it on TV, because it bores the Bejesus out of me.

I'm not a soccer "hater"

I went to HS in Europe, (Naples). I played soccer in HS, the NATO Command League, and a couple years at a local community college, so I like the game.

As a veteran of many games at Stadio San Paolo, (and a couple the ensuing riots after the games), I find soccer is much more enjoyable live.

Not so much for what's happening on the field, (sorry...can't bring myself to call it a "pitch"...never heard heard that term used over there, except by the Brits), but for the entertainment going on around you.

Before games fans would run around and hand out confetti, rolls of toilet paper, noise-makers, whatever. It was colorful, noisy and fun!

The problem is that that type of atmosphere just doesn't carry over well on TV, nor do I think it exists here in the States.

Living in Europe gave me an appreciation and respect for soccer and it's fans, but, with the exception of watching the US play in the World Cup, I just don't enjoy watching it on TV.

To keep it OT, I've never had a soccer fan want me to watch soccer on TV.

The above post just shows how much you actually know about the rest of the world....quite sad actually but typical of most people in the US. Most have never left their state or their country and most don't even have a passport.

I suggest you broaden your knowledge about the rest of the world before you talk out of your ass.

Typical ignorant BS..but what else do you expect...There are cricket games on the PC, PS3 and Xbox and now the Iphone, etc but they are not popular here..

And no cricket players are not 150 lbs, suggest you look at some of the players from Australia, England and South Africa...they aren't overweight like most people here in the US.

Go enjoy baseball, I rather not argue with some who has absolutely no knowledge and spews ignorant BS like yourself.

Wow, here I'll wait for you to calm down before I move on.......

Ready?

You're right, I know nothing of the rest of the world. Yet if you had actually read what I have posted in this thread, my wife and her family are from PAKISTAN?!!?!?!?WHAT?!!? How can that be? You mean, I actually have family members who play and watch cricket!?!?! WHAT?!

Oh, and there may be cricket games, but its not that they aren't popular here, they aren't popular anywhere. It's not like the countries that specialize in cricket are overflowing with disposable income.

And yes, cricket players are about 150 lbs., please dispute this by showing me a Donruss or Topps Cricket players card with stats, thank you!

And last, let me get this straight, you are making fun of people in the US being fat.....while you live in the US?! :doh: Please, please, just stop, you have already failed miserably. Oh and BTW, I know plenty o people in the ME that are overweight because of the amount of starches they eat way too late at night.

Just like the ignorant BS you spewed about baseball? Yeah.....

Thank you, I don't dislike cricket, soccer, or curling :silly:, but when people start attacking and spewing crap, fight stupid with stupid!

Please don't ever compare a crap sport like baseball to soccer...Soccer or football has way more tradition, class and while we at it better athletes than baseball which is like what popular in the US and a few more countries.

Plus I love it when they win the World Series (Who else in the world is playing the World ****ing series) and then your the ****ing World Champs.

baseball sucks and will never compare ever to Soccer in terms of being as popular in the world.

Crap sports like soccer sure does have both E.S. rabid fans defending it. Soccer has class and tradition?? Yeah ok. Is it the blind refs, the blatant corruption, or the fans that think its a riot that oozes class in soccer?

Baseball in the US will always reign over soccer so get used to it, even when we give amnesty to illegals who love soccer, its not going to change that.

We are "The WORLD" everything else such as soccer is irrelevant unless we bless it with our presence and tv money.

Archived