Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Which QB has the perfect throwing motion?

darrelgreenie

It's a tough question to answer even going back 30 years or so. Brady and Brees top the list, because to me, the perfect throwing motion is a QB who both slides well, and consistently steps into their throws, something Brady has done so fearlessly for years.

And I've got to say, it's one of the reasons why I think Phil Simms had one of the best throwing motions when he was playing. He may not have been the best QB when he was playing, but he finished every throw and wasn't afraid to get hit. The way he stepped into every throw was a thing of beauty to me.

BTW, for this topic, Brett Favre shouldn't even be in the conversation. I think he invented throwing off his back foot.

I'll probably get flamed for this but there's no doubt that Peyton has an effecient and effective stroke but i've never liked the way it looks it seems jerky and mechanical i think Brees and Brady's are more fluid.

I love the effeciency of Brees motion the way he extends his arm fully and releases high give him the throwing motion of a much taller QB.

From a pure aesthetics, maybe its something about the way lefties throw the ball but i really like Mike Vicks motion so quick and powerful; i like Leinarts too but to a much lesser extent.

I also like the way McNabb and Cutler's motions

Michael Vick probably does have one of the best throws out there. The only problem is he is on the run so much his accuracy with it blows and his decision making isn't that great.

But from a pure throwing motion I've never seen anyone bomb it like him with just a simple flick of the wrist.

On a side note Favre's mechanics are actually pretty terrible. Not that i'd ever tell him to change it.

The closest thing I've seen to a "perfect" motion nowadays is Peyton Manning's. The way he throws the ball is really by-the-book: stands tall, very little windup, over-the-top delivery, and good wrist snap. The one thing he doesn't always do is drive off his plant foot, but he gets good power anyway, and I don't really know if you'd consider that part of the throwing motion. Drew Brees is a guy who gets good leg drive, but that's mostly out of necessity because he's never had a real big arm.

This thread is proofs that mechanics don't matter at the professional level. Some of the worst have been some of the best. Mechanics only matter for nerds who don't know any better.

Want to see the worst footwork of all time? Watch Peyton Manning

Want to see an ugly side-arm hybrid release? Watch Favre or Romo sits to pee

Want to see perfection? Watch Jeff George

This thread is proofs that mechanics don't matter at the professional level. Some of the worst have been some of the best. Mechanics only matter for nerds who don't know any better.

Can the guy stand in the fire and hit what he's throwing at, that is what matters most... It's about accuracy, brains, and heart, not looking pretty.

Actually, you're right regarding Peyton Manning. He does have some major happy feet which gives the illusion of a not so perfect throwing motion.

I think that's why for such a long time, people had Tom Brady as a better QB than Manning(besides 3 Super Bowl Rings), because Brady's been one of the calmest QB's in the pocket that I've ever seen. Up until he blew out his knee, he'd been the only current QB who seemed just fearless in the pocket and had no problem taking a hit.

If I were teaching kids QB throwing mechanics, I would use video of Tom Brady for demonstration purposes.

There have been two QBs, in my lifetime and recollection, whose passes have nearly moved me to tears through their sheer beauty. Jeff George and Warren Moon.

I would just never use Jeff George as a demo for kids because he was such a putz. :silly:

If I were teaching kids QB throwing mechanics, I would use video of Tom Brady for demonstration purposes.

There have been two QBs, in my lifetime and recollection, whose passes have nearly moved me to tears through their sheer beauty. Jeff George and Warren Moon.

I would just never use Jeff George as a demo for kids because he was such a putz. :silly:

If you were teaching kids how to be a putz then Jeff George would probably be a great example.

• 2 weeks later...

People will fall in love with how Sam Bradford throws the ball

I agree - I think the kid is going to do great things eventually, and his throwing motion is a thing of beauty. As far as current QB's, I know Peyton has happy feet, but I love watching him throw the ball - all of his passes just seem to be on a rope, and his release is so quick.

Archived