Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Which QB has the perfect throwing motion?

darrelgreenie

Philip Rivers and Aaron Rodgers. Two guys that are very underrated.

Underrated QBs maybe, but i think they're both pretty well respected.

But, when it comes to throwing motion i think Rodgers is in another league then Rivers, Rivers kinda throws 3/4 quarter-motion shot-put like motion whereas Rodgers has a more textbook ball around the upperchest with a classic over the shoulder throwing motion.

Experts all talk about Tom Brady having perfect throwing mechanics and I think he'd be a safe bet if you were picking the best in the league. He does everything right almost every time from the ground up. His drops are solid and balanced, weight distribution perfect throughout, nice motion and high release point. One thing you watch with him is how he moves his head. He's a cool customer but he scans the field with urgency and gets set to throw quickly, especially on play-action.

If there was one thing that's ordinary about him, it's his feet. He is slow-footed IMO even though he moves around in the pocket reasonably well. His drops could be a lot faster if he was a better athlete and you don't really see him throw on the run that often. Other than that, I think he does everything at an exceptional level and he's got a pretty strong arm to boot.

All that said, Brady isn't my favorite QB to watch play. Nowadays, I like watching Matt Stafford and of course Brett Favre throw the ball as two of the most purely talented arms I've seen. They can do fun things that almost no one else can. Jay Cutler is in that stratosphere too and he's also got a lightning fast release but I have a hard time rooting for him because of what a dick he is.

This might sound traitorous, but Tony Romo sits to pee has a perfect throwing motion too. His release is rapid and he can throw it accurately and with decent velocity no matter what his lower half is doing and what arm angle he has to adopt. If he ever got the mental part of being a QB down he would be a fantastic one.

My favorite QBs ever to watch were Steve Young and Dan Marino. I loved how wily Marino was and he probably had as much arm talent as anyone ever. I loved Steve Young's athleticism and his efficiency and toughness and he was another one that could hit his spots no matter what he was doing with his legs.

But, when it comes to throwing motion i think Rodgers is in another league then Rivers, Rivers kinda throws 3/4 quarter-motion shot-put like motion whereas Rodgers has a more textbook ball around the upperchest with a classic over the shoulder throwing motion.

Wow, I completely forgot about Rodgers. He throws the prettiest pass in the league IMO and he's a good runner too. He's not the most accurate QB but he can hit what he needs to, runs play action well, and he's got a ridiculously strong arm. You will never see him throw a pass with the slightest hint of a wobble and he can make all of the circus throws that guys like Favre can.

Also, apparently JaMarcus Russell had the most impressive college workouts of any QB prospect in recent memory. His arm talent alone seems to be what got him drafted first overall.

Drew Brees and Peyton Manning. Drew Brees is even more impressive because he doesn't have terrific arm strength so he squeezes every possible bit of power out of his release and throwing motion.

Really? Those are actually two of my least favorite of the "elite" QBs in terms of pure arm talent. They are who they are because of what's between their ears, not what's hanging from their shoulders. I've never thought they had anything but pretty ordinary arms and funny looking releases where the ball comes out kind of wobbly as often as not. Maybe that's why they are so fun to watch? Seeing them perfectly time and place a wobbly old clunker that by all rights should have been picked off is pretty thrilling.

But If I were teaching an 8 year old to throw a pass, I would show them Brady, Rodgers, Cutler, Stafford or even someone like Matt Ryan, rather than use Brees, Manning, or a guy like Rivers as the example.

People will fall in love with how Sam Bradford throws the ball

Really? One of his biggest knocks for me was how slingy and low his release was. His arm is also fairly ordinary by NFL standards and his footwork is pretty infantile at this point. He throws on the run well (when he actually had to) and everyone said he ran play-action really well too so those are some definite positives from a mechanical standpoint.

What made him special was his accuracy and timing though which doesn't say much one way or the other about his throwing style. What's pretty about his game are it's ends and not it's means because mechanics were considered a weakness for him before the draft.

I'd say a healthy Carson Palmer.
Agreed. Solid mechanics. Best pure passer in the game.

I forgot about him too. He's another with a remarkable arm but my complaint for him is the same one I had for Brady. How well their passes come out is proportionate to how little running around they have to do beforehand. Being able to throw on the run is one of the most underrated things by fans and I think Palmer is one of those guys who can just completely fall apart without solid protection. On the other hand you see guys like Stafford, (vintage) Favre, Rodgers, and Romo sits to pee make beautiful passes across their bodies off their back feet while sprinting to the sidelines, arm at a 3/4 angle because a defensive end has his hands in their face. For me, those are the most stunning throws that take the most ability.

Is it too late for a poll?

I think the QBs with the most mentions in this thread are:

Tom Brady

Mike Vick

Peyton Manning

Drew Brees

Tony Romo sits to pee

Carson Palmer

Jay Cutler

Others/Honorable Mentions:

Matt Stafford

McNabb