Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I have a question...

SuperSkin6

You need a MACK who is similar to the MLB in certain implementations of the 4-3 (like the one we've run since 2004) and a BUCK who is similar to a WLB in certain implementations of the 4-3 (like the one we've pretty much run since 2004).

Right names wrong roles.

Mack is the WILB 'protected' ILB.

Buck is the banger SILB 'unprotected' ILB.

I would have to disagree.

"Mack" inside position, which in the 3-4 defense equates somewhat to the weakside position in a 4-3.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:DYtzHZJfIpkJ:www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/52391717.html+3-4+Linebackers+'Buck'+'Mack'&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Through the first week and a half of training camp, Bishop has been working primarily at the 'Buck' linebacker spot, the strong side position on the inside, as the backup to A.J. Hawk.

http://www.packers.com/news/stories/2009/08/11/1/

On Blades, I think he is one of our more underrated players. He has almost always made good when giving a chance. He may not have the flash or athleticism of some, but he really is solid. And unlike Landry, he really does play out of position. He's a middle linebacker and we've seem almost exclusively on the outside.

SuperSkin, not meaning to give you a hard time, but the tittle of the thread is all wrong. It needs to be more descriptive. Like "we need more MLB'ers."

Then, you need to pick a more original topic. In order to do that, you need to do a search.

It also helps to at least check the first and second page of the Forum.

That being said, I agree with your thread . I also agree that Blades is underrated. My main concern is that this group of linebackers seems very hastily patched together. They could really surprise us though.

If we're gonna line up in the 3-4, don't we need two MLB's? ... but don't we need another MLB?

We are deep at linebacker, we have the players to fill the position.

Linebackers (15): 12 holdovers, Andre Carter, Brian Orakpo, Chris Wilson, Rob Jackson (also listed as a defensive end), Lorenzo Alexander (also listed as a defensive end), Jeremy Jarmon, Curtis Gatewood, London Fletcher, Alvin Bowen, H. B. Blades, Rocky McIntosh, Robert Henson; 1 draft pick, Perry Riley; 2 unrestricted free agent, Darrel Young, Chris Draft

- Rich Tandler

Archived