Is it good to distrust authority?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Is it good to distrust authority?

• Yes, in all cases
    • No, in all cases
    • No, but there are exceptions
    • Yes, but there are limits that must be observed

http://www.kold.com/global/Story.asp?s=12524931

PRINCE WILLIAM COUNTY, VA (KOLD) - For the last three years, a county in Virginia has remained under the radar in the immigration debate even though it has a law almost identical to Arizona's immigration law.

The ordinance in Prince William County was passed in 2007. It initially required police to check the status of detainees they suspected of being undocumented immigrants but one year later it was revised.

Officers now question all criminal suspects about their immigration status once an arrest is made.

In 2008, the University of Virginia conducted a survey to see what effects, if any, the Prince William County law had. It concluded initial fears about racial profiling did not happen.

Click above to read more.

So what you all think about this law?

Who ever wrote this article is a moron.

1 - This law did not fly under the radar. It was a major issue when it passed.

2 - No consequences? I love when people just say **** and pretend it's true. Hispanics fled the area, legal and illegal, in larger numbers than expected. As a consequence that county was one of the hardest hit areas in the real estate fall in the NATION despite the DC areas natural resilience due to it's proximity to the federal government.

To be sure, home foreclosures and a declining economy are felt by citizens and non-citizens alike. It’s difficult to distinguish the more general effects of the recessional economy from the effects of the county and City of Manassas measures on the immigrant population. Certainly you cannot determine one’s immigration status by a surname, but it is still impossible not to notice that the classified section of area newspapers lists property foreclosures in which a large proportion of the owners have ethnic names. On the anti-BVBL blog, operated by the Prince William stay-at-home moms group, a commenter who identified himself as a title examiner for one of Northern Virginia’s busiest title companies quoted that 90 percent of the county home foreclosures in 2007 and 65 percent of the county home foreclosures in 2008 were of houses owned by people with Hispanic names. Even national news sources are taking notice of the Hispanic home foreclosure phenomenon in Prince William County. The Wall Street Journal just published an article on the county’s Hispanic home foreclosures on Jan. 5.

Who is benefitting from this recent reversal of fortune? Citizens, legal immigrants and especially investors looking for good deals are able to snap up the newly bank-repossessed homes at staggering bargains. After an initial slowdown in home sales in 2007, buyers began to reappear. Total homes sales in Prince William County are up 200 percent. That should be great news for everyone, but here is the kicker, the median sale price has plunged 41 percent in the past year, from $405,000 to $239,000.

http://www.nuwireinvestor.com/articles/strict-immigration-laws-and-their-impact-on-local-real-estate-52652.aspx

Housing fell so far so fast that they raised property taxes to compensate. Fairfax county on the other hand saw an increase in immigrant population as a result. Clearly Fairfax is crumbling under the weight... lol

That should be great news for everyone, but here is the kicker, the median sale price has plunged 41 percent in the past year, from $405,000 to $239,000.

Sounds like a win-win. Got rid of the illegal population and corrected home prices? :evilg:

Sounds like a win-win. Got rid of the illegal population and corrected home prices? :evilg:

It's funny when people don't understand what a market correction is. A market correction is a natural process. When it plunges because of an outside factor, it's an artificial crash, not a correction. And good luck getting those prop taxes reduces once this crash does correct (upwards).

It's funny when people don't understand what a market correction is. A market correction is a natural process. When it plunges because of an outside factor, it's an artificial crash, not a correction. And good luck getting those prop taxes reduces once this crash does correct (upwards).

I thought it was an obvious joke not worth giving any merit to the content. :cool:

Des,

If you're trying to argue that "getting rid of the illegals" will or won't have consequences, good and bad, on the economy, then maybe that should be another thread.

What I'm saying is that the law in the county that we are discussing in this thread did have consequences. It's not theoretical and in truth at this stage it's old news.

The article claims the law flew under the radar. It did not. It claims that fears were never realized, yet doesn't say how to quantify "fears". I showed a consequence and pointed out immigrants (legal and otherwise) left in large numbers.

What I'm saying is that the law in the county that we are discussing in this thread did have consequences. It's not theoretical and in truth at this stage it's old news.

The article claims the law flew under the radar. It did not. It claims that fears were never realized, yet doesn't say how to quantify "fears". I showed a consequence and pointed out immigrants (legal and otherwise) left in large numbers.

In short, you're saying that the law worked?

Edit: Thought occurs to me.

I wonder if there are any statistics (that everybody would believe) on what percentage of the supposed Hispanic Exodus were illegals fearing the law, vs how many were legals fearing persecution?

Want to know why racial profiling isn't happening there? The answer is in the OP.

Officers now question all criminal suspects about their immigration status once an arrest is made.

That's called equal protection under the law, and it's not what the Arizona law does. But we can't have things like details and facts to get in the way of a perfectly good agenda thread.

Who ever wrote this article is a moron.

1 - This law did not fly under the radar. It was a major issue when it passed.

2 - No consequences? I love when people just say **** and pretend it's true. Hispanics fled the area, legal and illegal, in larger numbers than expected. As a consequence that county was one of the hardest hit areas in the real estate fall in the NATION despite the DC areas natural resilience due to it's proximity to the federal government.

http://www.nuwireinvestor.com/articles/strict-immigration-laws-and-their-impact-on-local-real-estate-52652.aspx

Housing fell so far so fast that they raised property taxes to compensate. Fairfax county on the other hand saw an increase in immigrant population as a result. Clearly Fairfax is crumbling under the weight... lol

Destino, so let me get this straight, they only check the status of legal residency only after an arrest, and you're even opposed to this?

Destino, so let me get this straight, they only check the status of legal residency only after an arrest, and you're even opposed to this?

I assume he'll answer eventually, but I thought I'd point out that he didn't say he was opposed to it. He simply pointed out that the claims made about "under the radar" and "no consequences" weren't true.

Edit: Also observing that his quote at least somewhat addresses my question as to whether the law being discussed drove away legal Hispanics, too. It at least makes the statement that it did.

I'm about tired of all this "backlash" and hoopla against Arizona for their law. I'm even more surprised anyone is against this county law. It's like bizzaro world. If someone is here illegally, I don't care about their feelings. I don't care about their neighbors feelings. I don't care about their ethnic brethren's feelings. I want them to get the hell out. Especially if they've been arrested! It's not like we're hauling them away for no reason. They're here illegally. If it "offends" them, too bad. I'm tired of this pansy BS. They can go **** themselves.

Want to know why racial profiling isn't happening there? The answer is in the OP.

That's called equal protection under the law, and it's not what the Arizona law does. But we can't have things like details and facts to get in the way of a perfectly good agenda thread.

Yes, I am SURE that everyone arrested is given the EXACT same attention regarding their immigration status. :ols:

Oh yeah, and without this law I bet housing prices would have remained the same. We all know the overinflated prices were caused by the immigrant population. But I do agree that this law did anything but fly under the radar. It was a big deal. Similar to the Herndon "dayworker" site.

Archived