Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins Journal: Non PED-Related Observations and Notes from Redskins' OTA

Conn

Click here for link: http://blogs.fredericksburg.com/redskinsjournal/2010/05/19/non-ped-related-observations-and-notes-from-redskins-ota/

I know that my favorite part about OTA's, as well as training camp, is reading the write-ups about individual matchups and player's work during 7-on-7's and 11-on-11's. This article's got some good tidbits about players that everyone's been talking about. I figured everyone could use a thread that isn't about Moss potentially taking HGH.

I especially found the bits about the WR's, particularly DT's recovery from his Hamstring issues, and the stuff about the OLB vs. the OT's, to be interesting. Although obviously this early in the offseason, its just enough to whet our appetite, and doesn't really mean anything substantial. Here are some quotes that I enjoyed reading from the article, but click the link for the rest:

LB Chris Wilson was impressive going toward the line of scrimmage and away from it. On one play, he dropped in 12 yards in coverage toward the left sideline and undercut a throw from QB Rex Grossman. Wilson got both hands on it and should have intercepted it, but he moved well in his drop and made the right read. Wilson also easily ripped past RT Stephon Heyer to the outside in a team drill and would have had a sack in a game situation.
Speaking of Heyer, he didn’t move well when I was watching him. He appears heavy, slow and stiff, and his footwork reflected that. OLB Brian Orakpo easily disengaged from Heyer’s punch during a team drill and would have had a sack. And there was the aforementioned battle with Wilson. At this point, I’m wondering if Heyer’s knees are still bothering him because he did not look right. I realize that he struggled in game situations last season, but this appeared worse than that.
WR Anthony Armstrong has some legitimate speed. He beat a safety on a flag route in team drills and was open downfield, though he barely failed to get both feet in bounds after QB Donovan McNabb’s throw arrived right at the sideline. Armstrong also ran 10 yards past S Chris Horton, but Grossman’s deep throw went off his finger tips.
TE Chris Cooley got some nice separation in one-on-one drills against S Lendy Holmes. Cooley is moving well and appears fully recovered from his broken ankle.
Now for your regular Colt Brennan report: Everyone’s favorite QB had a very nice play where he hit TE Fred Davis near the left hash on an intermediate route after checking through his progressions. It was a great read. Earlier, Brennan underthrew a flag route to Davis. For what it’s worth, Grossman was the second quarterback taking reps.
WR Malcolm Kelly made a couple of athletic, leaping attempts for passes. With McNabb rolling right during red-zone work, he lofted a ball into the corner of the end zone that Kelly outjumped CB Kevin Barnes for and made the catch. Kelly also made a nice catch on a slant in traffic against CB Phillip Buchanon.
OLB Brian Orakpo beat first-round pick LT Trent Williams with an outside rush during team drills. Afterward, Williams spent three minutes talking with offensive line coach Chris Foerster and coaching intern Chris Samuels on the sideline about hand placement and footwork.
WR Joey Galloway displayed his veteran experience on a broken play during team drills. With McNabb struggling to find an open receiver, Galloway slid to the left sideline and waited for McNabb to find him for a completion. The play probably would have been a throw-away or sack in a game situation, but it’s proof of what Galloway brings to the team.
I saw Buchanon and WR Brandon Banks field punts during practice, though others might have done so at a session that occurred before media were allowed to watch. Punter Josh Bidwell crushed two of the four punts I saw. The other two weren’t as impressive.
Shanahan said he has not been involved in any dialogue involving the pursuit of executive Doug Williams. Williams, you’ll recall, was the Redskins’ hero of Super Bowl XXII and recently departed Tampa Bay’s front office
Thomas, by the way, practiced today after missing most of the offseason practices so far with an ailing hamstring.

And some quotes from Shanahan:

On Trent Williams:

“It doesn’t take him long when you’re going against some of the best outside linebackers in the league [to see] if the guy can compete on this level,” Shanahan said. “And he can compete. Saying that, there’s always going to be growing pains. It’s going to be a learning experience for him every day. I like the way he’s handled himself. He picks things up very quickly. We threw him in the fire right way and put him with the first unit, and I’ve been impressed so far.”

On DT and MK:

After practice, Mike Shanahan was asked for his impressions of Kelly and fellow third-year WR Devin Thomas, considering that they are still striving to meet expectations. “It’s the time,” Shanahan said. “It’s going to be an interesting question here over the next three months. We have a number of wide receivers competing for a position, but I like what I’ve seen thus far.”

And here's a link to some pictures from the Redskins blog, of QB and WR workouts: http://blog.redskins.com/2010/05/19/pictures-of-guys-throwing-and-catching-at-todays-ota

Just thought this stuff could generate some good conversation about OTA's, as we haven't seen many of these types of articles, what with the media only getting one day on the field for each mini-camp and all.

Rich Campbell is one of the few remaining journalists whose work I enjoy reading. Thanks for posting this. :)

It's going to be real exciting times once preseason arrives with all the competition at WR/RB/S/Dline/Oline/LB and even maybe back up QB going on.

Thanks for the info. Good read. I still have legitimate concerns about the O-line. Looked like my fears are not unfounded... but its early yet. I hope things get better.

I wouldn't be too concerned that our backup Tackle is getting beat by two of our best edge rushers.. Really not very surprising. This is not last year where Heyer was a starting tackle, and the other starting tackle Samuels had some serious injury concerns. In addition I would venture to say Rak would handle most backup tackles if they weren't getting help from a RB/TE.

Heyer is looking like a lost cause. I'm interested in how Hicks is looking since he would likely be the other option at RT.

Hicks was listed as the starter at RT the last depth chart they released with Heyer second string. It very tough though to learn much about lineman wearing shorts and t-shirts - we will need to wait until camp and preseason to see what Hicks brings to the table.

Heyer should be strictly a backup IMO.

I would not be surprised if our starting RT for this year is not yet on the roster. I think we may be scanning the late cuts at the end of preseason or even swinging a trade late in camp.

I wouldn't be too concerned that our backup Tackle is getting beat by two of our best edge rushers.. Really not very surprising. This is not last year where Heyer was a starting tackle, and the other starting tackle Samuels had some serious injury concerns. In addition I would venture to say Rak would handle most backup tackles if they weren't getting help from a RB/TE.

Well, it is early, but Heyer struggling isn't good news considering how thin we are otherwise. Heyer is the backup for both spots and there is no experience on this team otherwise at OT.

I would not be surprised if our starting RT for this year is not yet on the roster. I think we may be scanning the late cuts at the end of preseason or even swinging a trade late in camp.

If we are depending on someone late to come in and help us on the OL, we are in deep ****. That being said, it would be hard to say that we'd do much better than Hicks at this point.

I could think we could bring in someone to back up Hicks, but if you are expecting a starter better than Hicks to show up on the waiver wire, I've got some land to sell you.

how is it even possible for Heyer to look worse than he did last year?

He didn't get his shots from Galea for his knee?

Oh, wait...

Not joking, tho, if he is still carrying injuries from the season, they could be making him less agile.

I could think we could bring in someone to back up Hicks, but if you are expecting a starter better than Hicks to show up on the waiver wire, I've got some land to sell you.

We cut Bridges late in the last offseason. He was the starting LT for the Cardinals in the NFC Championship game. A few years back we traded with the Jets for Pete Kendall just before the last preseason game. He played well for a couple of years before age got the better of him.

You can pick up serviceable lineman late in preseason. Its not ideal but if Hicks does not show he can do the job you can find a guy who can help you.

Now about that land .....

yeah if heyer is looking worse, im thinking hes going to be cut. we already have 12+ OL on the roster and you need to trim that down to like 9 come the regular season, and if heyer isnt playing well hes going to have a rough time making that top 9 or however many they keep.

on another note, i find myself really cheering that anthony armstrong makes the roster. that would be a good story, and hopefully he can contribute some as the 4th receiver maybe.

On a non offensive line related note it was nice to read about Malcolm Kelly making a catch in the corner of the end zone. Maybe with McNabb under centre we are finally going to see a sucesseful fade pass in our offense - its been quite a while since we used the back corner of the end zone.

"I saw Buchanon and WR Brandon Banks field punts during practice, though others might have done so at a session that occurred before media were allowed to watch. Punter Josh Bidwell crushed two of the four punts I saw. The other two weren’t as impressive. "

I am very interested in this Brandon Banks kid, his college resume is impressive. I have yet to see him play though, so it is merely a keen interest based on stats. anyone have any knowledge of the kid?

Its not ideal but if Hicks does not show he can do the job you can find a guy who can help you.

Shanahan has already expressed confidence in Hicks at RT. I don't think we're going to be looking to replace him nor do I understand why so many people are concerned. Hicks was essentially the sixth best lineman on the best offensive line in the league and was a prototypical Shanahan pick-up when you consider the histories of both the player and the coach.

I am very interested in this Brandon Banks kid, his college resume is impressive. I have yet to see him play though, so it is merely a keen interest based on stats. anyone have any knowledge of the kid?

Other than the fact that he might be the smallest player in the NFL if he makes the roster? Nope.

Just thought this stuff could generate some good conversation about OTA's, as we haven't seen many of these types of articles, what with the media only getting one day on the field for each mini-camp and all.

I love the idea lets actually talk about football!

Rich and Gauldi i think do the best job covering the skins but i rarely get to hear/see/read Gauldi in the offseason.

I found this bit of news disconcerting:

http://blogs.fredericksburg.com/redskinsjournal/2010/05/19/non-ped-related-observations-and-notes-from-redskins-ota/[/color]

]Speaking of Heyer, he didn’t move well when I was watching him. He appears heavy, slow and stiff, and his footwork reflected that. OLB Brian Orakpo easily disengaged from Heyer’s punch during a team drill and would have had a sack. And there was the aforementioned battle with Wilson. At this point, I’m wondering if Heyer’s knees are still bothering him because he did not look right. I realize that he struggled in game situations last season, but this appeared worse than that.

Heyer's knee was messed up pretty bad last year, I hope Heyer's knees aren't trashed and that he was just having a bad day.

I am ecstatic that Chris Wilson is getting a chance to shine.

I've always liked him, it seemed whenever he got a play or two in a game he'd make something happen. But Gibbs/Williams/Blache refused to use him less-sparingly because he is a tweener. Zorn converted him to LB and then never put him on the field ... I guess that falls back on Blache too.

When I heard we were likely switching to the 3-4 I was most excited for Wilson because I knew he'd get the ability to show his skills. The fact that the FO gave him a contract extension when guys like Carlos, and Rocky haven't gotten anything aside from being tendered shows that the FO see something valuable in him and I hope he proves them right. If he comes along well he immediately makes Andre Carter expendable.

Shanahan has already expressed confidence in Hicks at RT. I don't think we're going to be looking to replace him nor do I understand why so many people are concerned. Hicks was essentially the sixth best lineman on the best offensive line in the league and was a prototypical Shanahan pick-up when you consider the histories of both the player and the coach.

personally i'm concerned about our depth at tackle. if Trent Williams or Hicks miss any games, its open season on McNabb

i know we drafted Capers late, but its hard to expect anything from a 6th round pick

Archived