Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CBSSports.com - Skins a surprise candidate this season along with Niners and Titans

Ellis Dee

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/13404794/surprise-candidates-niners-skins-titans-top-list/rss

Washington Redskins

img13404826.jpg Despite turning 34 this season, the Redskins believe in Donvan McNabb. (Getty Images) What I like: The head coach. Two years ago this club was 6-2 at the turn with Jim Zorn as its head coach. Then it hit the wall, going 6-18 before Zorn mercifully was fired. Now we have Mike Shanahan calling the shots, and there is a big, big difference between the experienced Shanahan and the inexperienced Zorn. The quarterbacking will be improved, and not just because Donovan McNabb is in town. The play-calling will be better, there will be more points and there will be more wins, which takes us back to McNabb. The guy is a winner, and, yeah, I know, Philadelphia went out of its way to get rid of him. But that has nothing to do with his play-making and everything to do with the Eagles re-tooling for the future. McNabb turns 34 this season and had one year left on his contract with Philadelphia. The Eagles weren't going to extend his deal with Kevin Kolb waiting for his chance, so they decided to get something for him while they could.

In McNabb, the Redskins gained a quarterback who is 92-49-1 in the regular season and someone who went to the playoffs in eight of his 11 NFL seasons. People tell me he doesn't have a No. 1 receiver, but he's been down that road before, and it didn't seem to hurt him.

What I don't: The head coach making personnel decisions. Shanahan is a head coach, not a GM. Yet he has GM responsibilities, and you saw where that took him in Denver. He was 24-24 his last three seasons and didn't reach the playoffs. Shanahan will make the Redskins better. The question is: How much better? McNabb will help, but he must have an improved offensive line, and maybe Trent Williams is the solution, maybe he's not. All I know is that Chris Samuels' retirement left a giant hole at left tackle, with McNabb's back at risk.

But the biggest problem has nothing to do with the GM or the offensive line. It's the division where Washington plays. To get to the top the Redskins must climb over the Giants, Eagles and Cowboys, and good luck.

Verdict: Washington filled a lot of holes in the offseason, with the most important move the addition of McNabb. But the problem isn't so much the Redskins as it is the rest of the division. Someone tell me who really believes the Redskins are better than Dallas ... or Philadelphia ... or the Giants. The deck is stacked against these guys, but a word of warning: Never underestimate Shanahan ... especially after he's had a year to re-energize himself.

I'm sorry but the 49ers aren't a surprise team. They should easily win the NFC West with Arizona losing Warner, Dansby, and Boldin. Then the Seahawks will be better, but not good enough to overtake San Fran, I could see Seattle going 9-7 (at best), and St. Louis is not a threat to anyone. The 49ers will win at least 11 games this upcoming season.

Also, I don't know how much of a surprise the Titans will be. They have a QB who just wins, and they have the best RB in the league and a solid defense. If Fisher hadn't stuck with Collins for so long last season the Titans could have made the playoffs last season.

Now the Skins if they can make the playoffs and contend then they would be by far the biggest surprise team out of the three. Not many, if any, "experts" are predicting the Skins to have a great turnaround and make the playoffs. Most still believe the Skins are a good ways behind Dallas, still behind New York, and are more on par with Philly.

I would say the only really surprise team would be the Skins if they were to make the playoffs. I would be more surprised if the 49ers didn't make the playoffs, and I'd be a bit surprised if the Titans at least weren't in the hunt since they play in one of the two toughest divisions in the league.

I like the moves we've made so far. We've done a complete 360 with personel and I think some of us are underestimating what MS and BA have put together until we see it on the field which is understandable. I just have a good feeling about our team. From the owner, GM, coaches, players and scheme. I think we're figuring it out fella's.:yes:

I don't like how the author seemingly completely dismisses Bruce Allen's presence. I may have missed it, but I didn't see one mention of the man.

Maybe he assumes, like so many do, that Allen is just the guy getting the numbers done for Shanahan.

playing in the NFC East is like playing in the American League East. you better bring it every season because even the worst team is usually pretty good.

You mean the 4th best team is usually pretty good, because unfortunately the Os have not been pretty good for a long time now.

Yawn.

The first of several articles this offseason that will hail us as the surprise team...like the year before, and the year before.

I think Clayton has picked us as a team that could surprise for a couple seasons in a row as well. It's an easy article for sports writers...and one that no one ever looks back on once the season starts.

The NFC East is looking at a down year in my opinion. From top to bottom they play very difficult schedules and 3 of the teams ended the season playing very poorly. Only Dallas should be considered the favorite in this division. That's not to say that the Skins, Eagles or Giants won't be good, but they all needed major offseason work by the time last season ended. In fact, both the Giants and Eagles had horrible defenses by seasons end. I think the Skins could go 3-3 or 4-2 in the division if the offense steps up with McNabb at the helm.

I am not sure why the 49ers would be such a suprise candidate. With Kurt Warner retiring, the NFC West has become a division where an 8-8 record could possibly win the division, and the fact the 49ers went 5-1 against their own division last season.

I am already dealing with 49ers hype on overdrive out here in Cali, and I just keep reminding them that they have an injury prone RB and a huge question mark at QB, although they have a pretty good defense.

I do predict the 49ers to win the NFC West due to their division sucking pretty bad, however I feel, once they go up against a playoff calibur team.....GOODNIGHT.

Yawn.

The first of several articles this offseason that will hail us as the surprise team...like the year before, and the year before.

I think Clayton has picked us as a team that could surprise for a couple seasons in a row as well. It's an easy article for sports writers...and one that no one ever looks back on once the season starts.

This team has had talent the last couple of years. I think it's going to shock a lot of people to see how inept Jim Zorn actually was.

This team has had talent the last couple of years. I think it's going to shock a lot of people to see how inept Jim Zorn actually was.

I not saying we will or we won't be a surprise. What is a surprise to me is that people still get excited for "Who are going to be the surprise teams this year" articles.

Similar to people who get upset we aren't ranked higher in preseason power polls.

Agreed, except that I'd say we had the STARTING talent, but not the coaching to utilize it or the depth to sustain it. And Shanahan/Allen seem to be creating that, as well as an atmosphere that creates the feeling that a starter could very well be relegated to depth if they don't perform. You never really got that feeling the last couple of regimes at redskins park.

Compared to two years ago, our division is an easier place to play in imo. Two years ago we went 8-8. Our rivals have lost a lot of playmakers, whereas I can't wait to see how our guys do when we have a real qb and coach.

I agree in general, but not on the playmaker part.

The only playmaker losses were TO and McNabb, and Westbrook and Dawkins, as well as Burress and Strahan, to our rivals. (weird how so many were on the Eagles at one time) Notable players two years ago, but older now. McNabb is the most viable player of that group, and I've glad he's on our side now.

Whereas we've seen an influx of playmakers in the division, and young ones:

Austin

Steve Smith

Desean Jackson

Hicks

Maclin

Dez Bryant

Felix Jones

McCoy

Williams

And guys like Pierre-Paul and Graham could prove to be busts or elite, you never know.

Add that with the maturation of Manning and Romo sits to pee (no longer a turnover machine, it seems), and its still pretty dangerous.

Now I will say that Brandon Jacobs seems to be less effective and the defenses in the division haven't gotten better, as a whole. Not to mention, Kolb has a lot to prove and big shoes to fill.

But as a whole, on the offensive side of the ball, when it comes to playmakers, the NFC East is quickly becoming one of the most explosive divisions in the league.

I like the moves we've made so far. We've done a complete 360 with personel and I think some of us are underestimating what MS and BA have put together until we see it on the field which is understandable. I just have a good feeling about our team. From the owner, GM, coaches, players and scheme. I think we're figuring it out fella's.:yes:

I hope we haven't done a complete 360 because that means we are right back where we started. A 180 degree turnaround towards the right direction would be more desirable.

The 49ers won't get far without a decent quarterback. I agree with what the guy said about the Redskins too. I hope Allen is not abdicating his GM hat to Shanny. We are in a tough division. We need to go at least 8-8 like Peter King predicts.

Alex Smith seemed to be coming along (finally!) alright last year, especially in conjunction with Vernon Davis.

Archived