Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Tommorrows UK Elections

nonniey

Being the United States best ally and friend (Australia could dispute that) what do you all hope to see in tommorows election. Being of the right of center persuasion I'd like to see the Conservative party win an out right majority. That shouldn't surprise anyone on this board but I'm curious about what all the extreme leftists on the board have to say (you all are extreme, of course ;-) , given the relative position of the parties in the UK (ie the current Conservatives would be about where the Rinos and Dinos (old DLC) lay on the political spectrum -policy wise).

I wish I knew more about English politics. The only thing I want from all politicians, regardless of nationality, is a commitment to universal civil liberties, to support the free market, and to treat all nations with their just respect.

If the winning candidate does that, he/she's got my support!

british politics is no different to any other they promise voters the earth and when they get voted into government they never honour those promises

richard pryor got it right in brewsters millions vote

none of the above

british politics is no different to any other they promise voters the earth and when they get voted into government they never honour those promises

richard pryor got it right in brewsters millions vote

none of the above

Why not give the Lib Dems a shot? They seem to at least try to think out of the box now and then.

I hope they toss out the monarchs on their asses, but that's just me

now your talking! :cheers:

I'll vote Labour. The Lib Dems - just through years of how its been - present themselves as party of ideas rather than a party that is saying it can govern. As for David Cameron and the Tories - this is a party faced with an opponent in Labour at the end of its life span to be honest, a Labour leader regarded as a dead weight for the party and a busted economy and they still struggle to get enough votes? that tells me this is no real party with policies or indeed a leader that can lead.

Chances are the Tories will get no seats in Scotland despite their 'revival'. They currently hold ONE Scottish seat. We love them up here :silly:

At local council level the Official Monster Raving Looney Party actually had a guy elected. Alan Hope won UNOPPOSED in Devon! and went on to become the Mayor of the town :) Over the years since then at local level members of the Raving Looney party have been elected.

Is that anything like "Silly Party" :P

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31FFTx6AKmU&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31FFTx6AKmU&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Is that anything like "Silly Party" :P

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31FFTx6AKmU&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31FFTx6AKmU&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Tarquin Fin-tim-lin-bin-whin-bim-lim-bus-stop-F’tang-F’tang-Olé-Biscuitbarrel actually stood for election at the UK election of 1981 (ok, his real name was John Desmond Lewis). He received 223 votes.

I saw a feature story on Public Television today on the election and I have to say, as a member of a third party, it got me kind of excited. For the first time over a century, they said, a third party has a decent chance at taking the lead in Parliament. Now, I don't agree with the entire Lib-Dem platform, mind you; but seeing a third party emerge like this in a country dominated by two parties (like the United States), is encouraging to me and I hope members of other third parties see it as a source for encouragement as well.

I'll have to keep up with the election proceedings.

now your talking! :cheers:

:banhim::)

As for David Cameron and the Tories - this is a party faced with an opponent in Labour at the end of its life span to be honest, a Labour leader regarded as a dead weight for the party and a busted economy and they still struggle to get enough votes? that tells me this is no real party with policies or indeed a leader that can lead.

Exactly my thoughts.

Well of course no one can form a Government until the Queen accepts a party as being capable of taking power, such is our 'peoples democracy'. Hell, why bother voting, just get the Royal family to choose if thats the case. In the mean time Brown and Labour still rule - this is Broons big chance! dissolve the royal family and declare a Republic!! :)

Someone needs to lob a scimitar at one of the candidates so they can assume leadership.

:):):):)

While the movie contribute many signature phrases to my gang's lexicon back in the day, my faves included "strange women lying in ponds distributing

swords is no basis for a system of government" and "I mean, if I went around sayin' I was an empereror just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me they'd put me away." I even reduced the last to often using "moistened bint" for years. :D

Archived