Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Tommorrows UK Elections

nonniey

Why not give the Lib Dems a shot?

The Lib Dems are the dog on heat that you can't get off your leg. They take a 10% share of the vote & force the overall vote into deadlock.

However, and quite ironically, they now have the other parties by the nuts, both want to get into bed with them to form a majority share.

These guys are selling there souls to the devil. Whoever gives the 'most' up to the Lib Dem's wins.

Well Clegg has to tread very carefully here as there are many in his party that hate the idea of the Lib Dems selling out to the Tories, especially on any watered down version of PR. At the same time he has excluded the Labour party as a possible party to work with and gone straight to the Tories. If that falls through what kind of leader does he look like if he suddenly starts touting Labour as a party of Government having snubbed them from the start?

As for Cameron, there are hard liners in his party looking at the state of the economy and wondering how this man didnt lead them to a majority victory and why the hell they are having to deal with the Lib Dems to get any kind of 'majority'. Just why didnt they WIN? what kind of leader is Cameron? If he gets things wrong with the deal with the Lib Dems he could be a king without a crown. Oh dear how sad, never mind ;)

Has Brown declared a Republic yet? why not? :)

The Lib Dems are the dog on heat that you can't get off your leg. They take a 10% share of the vote & force the overall vote into deadlock.

However' date=' and quite ironically, they now have the other parties by the nuts, both want to get into bed with them to form a majority share.

These guys are selling there souls to the devil. Whoever gives the 'most' up to the Lib Dem's wins.[/quote']

The Lib Dems got more than 20% of the vote in actually fact and ended up with less than 10% of the seats in Parliament. It's ridiculous.

They're not selling their souls to the devil. In order to form a government the Tories or Labour will need to concede electoral reform (which is sorely needed anyway). My guess that will be the crux of it.

It's a fascinating situation and I think we will see some far reaching and fundemental changes in our politics going forward. We do need voting reform though I'm not personally in favour of PR. It is a nonsense that the Libs get almost the same share of the vote as Labour but about 200 seats less.

One thing that's not commented on is the split in the vote between England, Scotland and Wales. In England the Tories took well over 50% of the vote and a sigificant percentage of the seats. In England Labour are restricted to central London, the North East and some parts of the North West. It's votes from Scotland and Wales which give their vote any sense of respectability or relevance.

I'd like to see a smaller Parliment with the size of seats based on more equal electorate populations to give a fairer reflection of share of vote to seats won. I also think that given the divide in voting between the Countries we are going to have to address the issue of an English assembley with similar powers to those in Scotland.

I think we will see another election inside 12 months.

Does anyone think it's possible for Brown to remain as PM?

It is possible but odds against. If the Tories and Liberals can not do a deal then Brown has already offered a deal which might be more attractive to many Liberals in terms of voting reform. However Labour and the Liberals together do not have enough seats to command a majority, they would need votes from the Scottish and Welsh nationalists and the Ulster parties. To get those votes they will have to agree more favourable funding arrangements for those Countries which will be resented in England.

There is no mandate though for Brown to stay as PM and the risk for the Liberals is if they prop up Brown along with the Nationalists they risk a sigificant backlash from voters next election. Given that the new Government whoever leads it will need to take very unpopular decisions on taxation and spending it's not going to survive long with such an unstable coalition.

It's odds on a Conservative Liberal deal and I also think we will see another election in the next 12 months

The Lib Dems got more than 20% of the vote in actually fact and ended up with less than 10% of the seats in Parliament. It's ridiculous.

They're not selling their souls to the devil. In order to form a government the Tories or Labour will need to concede electoral reform (which is sorely needed anyway). My guess that will be the crux of it.

Yeah, I should have said 10% of the seats, not vote. Thats what I was meaning as that's what really matters.

I don't see how proportional representation helps us. I don't see how parties joining forces help us. I believe they are selling out by getting into bed together. We don't need a washed down gvmt. We need some tough decisions making.

The tories or labour will take the lib dems on board, then probably ditch them within 12 months via a new election. Wasted time when, financially, the country is on the bones of its ass.

If there is another election do you see a conservative majority?

Good question. If the Labour party and Liberals end up doing a deal which keeps Brown in power and there is another election in about 12 months I think that the Conservatives will get a clear majority. If the Conservatives get in backed by the Liberals and Labour ditch Brown I think you would see no overall majority again and probably some Labour gains.

The UK overall is pretty much split with no enthusiasm for any of the 3 parties. No one has engaged us with a vision and policies we can believe in. The only really clear thing to come out of the election is a feeling that we want Brown out - we just don't know in favour of what.

What would be the advantages of a Republic?

It would, I assume, demand we have a written constitution. Imagine an actual checks-and-balances set of rules that defines Government of the people by the people (great words, some Americans may recognise).

A lot of what is going on right now in the UK actually has no support in terms of any constitutional law, for the simple reason there isnt one! we make it up as 'what we do', a gentlemans agreement. And of course at the end of the day whoever becomes the party with a majority of some sort then has to go to the Queen and put themselves forward as her majestys Government.

As you may have noticed I am not a monarchist. The last time I checked on Thursday when I was voting, Queenie wasnt on the ballot paper. I cast no vote for the Queen to be offered any party as her Government and I never would EVER vote for such a thing. When Cameron made his speech about people power etc last week it was a load of crap. He doesnt really mean real change - this is a man educated at Eton and given a role in the Tory party after a quiet phone call from Royal equirries at Buckingham Palace for gods sake! people power? aye right!

It would, I assume, demand we have a written constitution. Imagine an actual checks-and-balances set of rules that defines Government of the people by the people (great words, some Americans may recognise).

Let me start by saying I'm not a monarchist, I don't really have strong feelings either way about keeping them or abolishing the institution. That said you are mixing two seperate arguments with your comment above. The issue of a written constitution is a separate issue to having (or not) a monarchy. The Queens role in our Government is entirley symbolic and has no practical implication with regard to our constitution.

When Cameron made his speech about people power etc last week it was a load of crap. He doesnt really mean real change - this is a man educated at Eton and given a role in the Tory party after a quiet phone call from Royal equirries at Buckingham Palace for gods sake! people power? aye right!

Why does where he was educated have any bearing on anything? Many of the Labour front bench were privately educated as well. One of the things that people on the left have to come to terms with is that the whole class war stuff has very limited relevance anymore and is certainly not part if the 'new' politics people are talking about.

The only question that matters is will he make a good Prime Minister not which school he went to. People need to be judged on who they are and what they can do not where they come from and that cuts all ways.

Ok then Lets start with a new page next week then. Assuming Cameron sorts out a Government lets have him just go straight to Parliament rather than Buckingham Palace. Since its all purely symbolic with no practical implications then apart from Queenie being slightly affronted by it all the Government can simply carry on with no serious repurcusions. Ok, fair enough I'll go with that as a simple start to things.

Who you are just might be linked to how you were brought up - not that simple I know but an Etonian upbringing with Royal connections is hardly not going to shape at least part of you! come on. How I was brought up is part of the reason I'm a grumpy, middle aged left winger. :)

Who you are just might be linked to how you were brought up - not that simple I know but an Etonian upbringing with Royal connections is hardly not going to shape at least part of you! come on. How I was brought up is part of the reason I'm a grumpy, middle aged left winger. :)

How and where you were brought up certainly has a big influence on who you are, no question. But thats not simply a matter of class or money. My Dad was brought up as one of 4 kids in a 2 bedroom house with 2 rooms downstairs and a toilet outside. I was lucky that he believed in education and achievement and I was encouraged to take responsibility for my own life and future.

I can certainly understand the reluctance in Scotland to be governed by a Conservative led admistration that you did not vote for. That cuts both ways though - England has not voted for a Labour Government now for the last 2 elections. We need to think all this through and there needs to be a debate about exactly what the role of Government is at UK, Country and local level. What the various levels should and should not do and what we can and can not afford.

I tend towards the small Government, low taxation personal responsibility side of that argument. I do believe we need a well funded and comprehensive Health and Education service and a Social Security system which provides for those unable to care for themselves. I do though think too many people and politicans see Government as the answer to problems which need to be solved by people themselves or which Government can not realistically have any impact on.

How and where you were brought up certainly has a big influence on who you are, no question. But thats not simply a matter of class or money. My Dad was brought up as one of 4 kids in a 2 bedroom house with 2 rooms downstairs and a toilet outside. I was lucky that he believed in education and achievement and I was encouraged to take responsibility for my own life and future.

I can certainly understand the reluctance in Scotland to be governed by a Conservative led admistration that you did not vote for. That cuts both ways though - England has not voted for a Labour Government now for the last 2 elections. We need to think all this through and there needs to be a debate about exactly what the role of Government is at UK, Country and local level. What the various levels should and should not do and what we can and can not afford.

I tend towards the small Government, low taxation personal responsibility side of that argument. I do believe we need a well funded and comprehensive Health and Education service and a Social Security system which provides for those unable to care for themselves. I do though think too many people and politicans see Government as the answer to problems which need to be solved by people themselves or which Government can not realistically have any impact on.

That Scotland generally locks in their votes for Labour or other relatively far left parties has always disappointed me (being half Scottish). With their resources they could have been a lot more prosperous and less dependent on Government hand-outs if they had chosen more the middle road or even just a slightly left of center position (New Labour types maybe).

UK politics interest me so much. It's just neat to observe an election that's way different from what Americans are used to. Maybe I'm just a political junkie :ols:

I think other countries politics is always interesting, not least because as an interested bystander your not stuck with the immediate results ;)

Thought you might be interested in knowing that the Conservatives and Liberals have agreed a coalition deal. Brown had resigned and Cameron is now at the Palace informing the Queen that he can now command a majority and form a Government. David Cameron will be Prime Minister tomorrow.

:beatdeadhorse:coalition's don't last long to many ego's won't be long before another election history proves it!

Normally I would agree. In this case though it appears that the deal involves legislation to introduce a fixed term parliment, 4 years is being reported. Both parties are committing to maintain the coalition for that period. All future Parliments would also then be fixed terms.

There will be 5 Liberals in Cabinet with Nick Clegg being one of them as Deputy PM.

This will not be popular with some in both parties at grass roots and some MPs but the combined majority is comfortable enough to be stable. I think this will last and could work.

Archived