Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What Our Draft Actually Got Us

JaimeDeCurry

Well, guys you had me worried there for a moment, I thought you would rate this as one of the worst drafts that we ever have participated in.

We have a very competitive team that should be greatly improved from seasons past. Cannot wait until training camp starts. We are the official unknown commodity that will always be second guessed.

i am not going to go one way or the other, i'm just going to say this:

judging the draft before the season even starts is a lot like judging a meal after the cook chooses his recipes.

trust me, whatever you think about these players now will change in 3 months, and in 3 years. so why don't we all just take a deep breath and realize that we don't know jack about what any of these guys will do, and we won't for a long time.

What's with all of this Bruce Campbell love?

The guy has some of the worst technique I've seen. He bends at the waist (should be moving from the hips), he lunges forward with his head down, and he relies entirely too much on his athletic ability than he does skill and technique. He's also, this one is according to scouting reports, got a "brain" issue.

Give the Bruce Campbell stuff a rest. He's a major project. Major.

I could not agree more. If he had gone to Iowa, there would not be nearly as much love. He was great at the combine, but being a solid O-Lineman does not have much to do with 40 times and cone drills. I actually think that Capers has just as much upside as Campbell.

Jarmon might not even make the team. He doesn't really fit a 3-4. He's not an OLB and he's too small to play 3-4 DE. Maybe they can recoup something for him in a trade during training camp.

I think he definitely makes the team if he's healthy. I also think OLB in a 3-4, provided we don't make him cover in space, is actually a pretty good fit for him.

I suppose some folks in Washington have been missing quality quarterbacking play for so long they don't properly rate what an upgrade at the position means to a football team.

In today's NFL it all starts there. You can draft safeties and lockdown corners but the truth is the Redskins at no point in the 2000's had what anyone could consider to be the best quarterback in the NFC East.

It may be a point of argument, but Redskins' fans can now make that statement with a straight face and without fear of imminent laughter or derisive dismissal.

There was no #2 pick that was going to make that much of a difference for the team in 2010 or 2011 so crying over that selection and not recognizing what McNabb brings to the table is to miss how teams in Indy, SD, Philly, NE, etc. have remained competitive.

Upgrading at quarterback and left tackle were the top two priorities in the offseason and moves to secure both positions has been made by the new management team.

Other positions of need are being filled in with veteran free agents and the mid to lower round picks.

Given the hand that Shanahan was dealt, ie a draft where #3 and #6 picks were already traded, and a roster with aging players making mega-bucks, I don't see how things could have been handled any better.

If only Zorn had been fired after that one year and the team had gone 4-12 instead of 8-8, Vinny might have been pushed out the door before he had the chance to bring on board the team cancer called Albert Haynesworth.

He is the only remaining blot on this club.

and which team that drafts doesn't sit in the same position when it is all over? :)

Sam Bradford may end up being a bust. Tony Pike may end up being a Super Bowl quarterback 5 years from now.

Nothing is guaranteed.

Which is one reason why the decision to trade for a known commodity in McNabb instead of using a #2 pick on Jimmy Clausen or Colt McCoy was the right one.

I could not agree more. If he had gone to Iowa, there would not be nearly as much love. He was great at the combine, but being a solid O-Lineman does not have much to do with 40 times and cone drills. I actually think that Capers has just as much upside as Campbell.

If he went to Iowa he would have been a top 3 pick.

Technique can be taught, size and athletic ability cant... This is called coaching.

What's with all of this Bruce Campbell love?

The guy has some of the worst technique I've seen. He bends at the waist (should be moving from the hips), he lunges forward with his head down, and he relies entirely too much on his athletic ability than he does skill and technique. He's also, this one is according to scouting reports, got a "brain" issue.

Give the Bruce Campbell stuff a rest. He's a major project. Major.

It's a very good draft.

- Trent Williams is an immediate starter at tackle.

- McNabb should be our starting QB for the next 4-5 years

- Jarmon is nice depth at either DE or OLB in a 3-4

- Riley is a good run stopper and ILB in a 3-4, insurance for McIntosh's situation

- Adam Carriker will rotate in and out with Daniels at end, possibly start.

- Morris might start immediately at fullback.

- Austin has got speed and may be a return man for us.

- Cook will fight for a roster spot with a bunch of guys who haven't stepped up yet at G.

- Capers is a nice OT prospect, converted from TE who is very raw. But has a lot of potential.

Overall we have 2 guys who will start immediately (McNabb and Williams), two guys who will most likely see significant time if not start (Carriker and Morris), a guy who has already been here a year and worked himself into the rotation (Jarmon), A guy who will contribute immediate on special teams and maybe eventually start (Riley), A potential return man if he makes the roster and two other prospects on the offensive line.

A very good draft.

If we get 4 or 5 years out of an ageing, injury-prone QB like McNabb I will be astounded.

If we get 4 or 5 years out of an ageing, injury-prone QB like McNabb I will be astounded.

Agreed.

Granted ,I'm an idiot at these things. But to me, he's good for 2-3 years. And he'll miss games, every year.

Which doesn't in any way mean that he was a waste of a 2nd round pick.

ya know the FO definately tried on this one..whether the players make it and shake out is one thing but i get what they were going for....... and its improvement!!!!! i like what we did overall... and i feel we can be a threat next year!!!! the NFC East has not been as dominant as it used to be, nor the NFC itself for that matter....with more offense added to our already great defense i like what we've done!!!!! i really think we have an edge

My favorite draft pick is capers, I love watching the eagles pick blow by him like he's stuck in cement. The best thing about it is it was the senior bowl with no blitzing just physically got owned.......... I'm pumped!

lol...i feel everyone is ignoring how hilarious this comment was lol... but yea, i hope he turns it up a notch and has a good career

Having thought about it and done some reading, including on this board, it was a very good draft because we took positions of need. There are no guarantees anyone is going to work out, including the first round picks.

You have to like Williams. Need and potential stud for 10 years.

McNabb - worth a few wins just with the upgrade.

Jarmon - unsure. I think I would rather have had the third pick this year at this point.

Riley - seems like a good player. I like his chances in the 3-4.

Carricker - not a bad risk for a fifth round pick.

Morris - I'm now convinced this guy is for real. His motor doesn't stop and he plays with fire.

Austin - why not? A return guy.

Cook and Capers - fills needs. Let them work their way onto the team.

I think I'm happy.

Hail,

H

It takes at least 3 years to see if any of these guys have what it takes to play consistently in the NFL.

Unfortunately even Trent Williams has a shot at being a bust.

I am happy we didn't take a Punter and happy we drafted the positions we needed the most.

The one thing I do like the most is seeing how well our coach's take these low end picks and coach them up to be starters.

The draft looks good. The Skins addressed needs at the main positions. Hopefully McNabb will be with the Skins and play at a Pro Bowl level for the next three or so years. Now just want to see them grow in camps and execute on the field, which is the real test of any draft class.

Archived