Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CSM: Ecological risk grows as Deepwater Horizon oil rig sinks in Gulf

China

As amazing as it seems oil is continually seeping out all over the world.

MJ.. We are the best and most environmentally responsible in procuring it.(much more so than the Mexicans,Chinese,Venezuelans and Russians drilling in the Gulf

Well, that doesn't put my mind at ease. Now, you're just arguing that leaks are acceptible and natural. Minimizing or eliminating risks seems better than cavalierly shrugging that --- meh, oil spills happen all the time. What's the big deal

Well, that doesn't put my mind at ease. Now, you're just arguing that leaks are acceptible and natural. Minimizing or eliminating risks seems better than cavalierly shrugging that --- meh, oil spills happen all the time. What's the big deal

Plug all the wells...freeze a Yankee:evilg:

MJ I'll repeat myself since you didn't grasp it the first time

MJ.. We are the best and most environmentally responsible in procuring it.(much more so than the Mexicans,Chinese,Venezuelans and Russians drilling in the Gulf

Unless you can eliminate the need for oil,we are the best choice.

Accidents will happen,disasters are controlled.

Good luck on finding a quote that spills never happen.

http://www.marinergroup.com/oil-spill-history.htm

http://oils.gpa.unep.org/facts/sources.htm

ESTIMATES OF GLOBAL INPUTS OF OIL TO THE MARINE ENVIRONMENT

In a report published in 2002 by the National Research Council (NRC) of the U.S. National Academy of Sciences, the average total worldwide annual release of petroleum (oils) from all known sources to the sea has been estimated at 1.3 million tonnes. However, the range is wide, from a possible 470,000 tonnes to a possible 8.4 million tonnes per year. According to the report, the main categories of sources contribute to the total input as follows:

* natural seeps: 46%

* discharges from consumption of oils (operational discharges from ships and discharges from land-based sources): 37%

* accidental spills from ships; 12%

* extraction of oil: 3%

...until we get there we'll run our society on nothing but pure hope!

No until we get there we'll run our society on the oil that we're currently pumping. If you're reading comprehension was a bit better you would have noticed that I said "stop oil exploration" not stop oil. With continued oil exploration all we are doing is kicking the can just a bit further down the road so someone else has to deal with it later.

100 years people that's what we have, 100 years and counting of oil on this planet, by that time we'd better have something else to run everything on or it all grinds to a halt. Imagine the wars that will blow up when the oil starts running out. Hmmm sounds like fun to me.

...until we get there we'll run our society on nothing but pure hope!

More like hot air from the environmentalists,which there seems to be a excess of.:D

ASF stopping domestic exploration means declining production or simply pushing it overseas where laxer standards exist...A fools path w/o viable alternatives that we are already well down the path of.

How many hundreds of billions can we keep giving to others a yr?

Just got back from surfing. Beautiful day. Sun is peaking through the clouds, the WATER A BEAUTIFUL BLUE GREEN, kids playing on the beach, fishermen trying their luck on the pier, and i could go on.

If this happened off the coast of VA, the city of VA Beach could take a huge hit financially. Not to mention all of the environmental impact from such a spill. Drilling in the ocean just seems plain retarded to me.

I blame all of us, we're addicted to oil and we show no real signs of going into treatment for our addiction.

Don't blame me, I didn't vote for the guy :)

I do see your point and all. I'm just a little upset about all the damage that he did to the development of alternative energies specifically, and our country in general.

Nothing to worry about:

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20100424/D9F9MNN00.html

NEW ORLEANS (AP) - The Coast Guard discovered Saturday that oil is leaking from the damaged well that fed a massive rig that exploded this week off Louisiana's coast, while bad weather halted efforts to clean up the mess that threatens the area's fragile marine ecosystem.

As recently as Friday, the Coast Guard said no oil appeared to escaping from the well head on the ocean floor. Rear Adm. Mary Landry said the leak was a new discovery but could have begun when the rig sank on Thursday, two days after the initial explosion.

"This is a very serious spill, absolutely," Landry said.

Coast Guard and company officials estimate that as much as 1,000 barrels of oil is escaping each day after studying information from remotely operated vehicles and the size of the oil slick surrounding the blast site. The rainbow-colored sheen of oil stretched 20 miles by 20 miles on Saturday - about 25 times larger than it appeared to be a day earlier, Landry said.

Everything is going exactly as designed. Move along.

Nothing to worry about:

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20100424/D9F9MNN00.html

Everything is going exactly as designed. Move along.

My favorite part is when the guy who repeatedly called people "lemmings" because of their concern that this would cause environmental damage then says "naturally" this is to be expected. You think he gets whiplash when he does these things?:ols:

Nice Midnight, but you don't seem to comprehend what those quotes mean. Bottomline, I stand by all those quotes and you'll have a hard time finding evidence that contradict them. In fact this accident last week supports what I was argueing, the oil spill from that rig is miniscule compaired to the average oil spill from catastrophic tanker accidents (heck, for that matter, it is minsicule compaired to the average minor accidents involving tankers).

Bottomline, the more oil the United States produces the less oil in the worlds oceans from spills. Again anyone who opposes expanded oil production in this country for environmental reasons doesn't have a leg to stand on.

I assume all the liberals ****ing in this thread have disconnected their electric service, and will vow, right here, right now, never to drive a petroleum-using vehicle again, right?

Drilling and digging for the sources of fuel that power the things that YOU use is dangerous, and sometimes costly, in more ways than just financial ones.

I assume all the liberals ****ing in this thread have disconnected their electric service, and will vow, right here, right now, never to drive a petroleum-using vehicle again, right?

Drilling and digging for the sources of fuel that power the things that YOU use is dangerous, and sometimes costly, in more ways than just financial ones.

there are times when I read these threads that wonder if some of those on the "no harm" side are just another variation of birther. In this very thread, you have several articles detailing 1000's if gallons of oil spilling and contaminating the ocean and yet the response from several seem to be that "rigs don't leak" or extremist posits like the one you have just given. I know you are much more reasonable than the post above. I know that you have concerns for your children about the degree to which we are polluting and poisoning our homes and air.

Sure, there has to be a balance and we all decide that certain risks are within tolerance, but one should not deny that we are consciously compromising and that those compromises could end worse (or better) than we fear.

Just as you stopped buying fruits and vegetables farmed in the US because you are against illegal immigration. Great argument HH... clearly you can't advocate policy changes without moving to a mountain cabin and ridding your life of anything that could in any way come from a something you'd rather change.

there are times when I read these threads that wonder if some of those on the "no harm" side are just another variation of birther. In this very thread, you have several articles detailing 1000's if gallons of oil spilling and contaminating the ocean and yet the response from several seem to be that "rigs don't leak" or extremist posits like the one you have just given. I know you are much more reasonable than the post above. I know that you have concerns for your children about the degree to which we are polluting and poisoning our homes and air.

Sure, there has to be a balance and we all decide that certain risks are within tolerance, but one should not deny that we are consciously compromising and that those compromises could end worse (or better) than we fear.

With all respect, I don't think it was extremist at all.

Certain people seem to like things like lights, and driving, but think those that provide them with that opportunity are somehow evil.

Pretty damned hypocritical, if I do say so myself.

Just as you stopped buying fruits and vegetables farmed in the US because you are against illegal immigration. Great argument HH... clearly you can't advocate policy changes without moving to a mountain cabin and ridding your life of anything that could in any way come from a something you'd rather change.

There's another solution to illegal immigration. It's called the federal government doing it's job, securing the borders and enforcing our laws.

What's the alternative here?

Well, there's got to be some wiggle room between off shore drilling and moving into the woods in order to live a 12th century lifestyle

Sure there is. And if you find it, you'll never work another day in your life.

Oh, and ASF, the "Drill baby, drill" poster you posted doesn't look anything like Obama, IMO. :evilg:

Yeah, I know she's your hero, my guess is that the off shore oil exploration that Obama has authorized will now get lost in bureaucracy. Personally, I didn't agree with him caving to the drill baby drillers.

Well if that's how you read it then you need to stop reading with your "all environmentalists are idiot" glasses strapped to your face.

Not idiots, just hypocrites.

Yeah, I know she's your hero, my guess is that the off shore oil exploration that Obama has authorized will now get lost in bureaucracy. Personally, I didn't agree with him caving to the drill baby drillers.

Well if you get to determine my "hero" then I get to determine yours.

It's Al "Ain't no way on God's green earth you can hope to match my enormous carbon footprint, so do as I say not as I do" Gore.

My favorite part is when the guy who repeatedly called people "lemmings" because of their concern that this would cause environmental damage then says "naturally" this is to be expected. You think he gets whiplash when he does these things?:ols:

You're still lemmings,and yes it is natural for a burnt and sunken rig to leak.:D

I'll await confirmation on the well head leaking,but it would seem the 7,400 barrels a day was wild speculation wouldn't you say?

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20100425/D9FAD19G0.html

The spill so far appears to be small relative to some major oil accidents. The Exxon Valdez spilled 11 million gallons in Alaska's Prince William Sound in 1989 - the worst oil spill in U.S. history.

"It has the potential to be pretty serious, but at 1,000 barrels a day, if it comes to the surface they'll probably be able to contain it and vacuum it up," said James Cowan, an oceanography and coastal sciences professor at Louisiana State University in Baton Rouge.

The company is planning to collect leaking oil on the ocean bottom by lowering a large dome to capture the oil and using pipes and hoses to pump it into a vessel on the surface, said Suttles, the BP executive.

"That system has been deployed in shallower water," he said, "but it has never been deployed at 5,000 feet of water, so we have to be careful."

The robot submarines are attempting to close off the flow of oil by activating a shutoff device at the well head known as a blowout preventer.

In case that doesn't work, BP PLC (BP.), which leased the Deepwater, moved another deepwater rig, the DD3, toward the explosion site. If necessary, the new rig would drill relief wells into the damaged well underneath the ocean floor. That could take several months.

Benton F. Baugh, who holds numerous patents for blowout preventer parts, said the subs should be able to do the job.

"If they can't get it closed off, something really unusual happened," said Baugh, president of Radoil Inc. in Houston and a National Academy of Engineering member.

Archived