Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CSM: Ecological risk grows as Deepwater Horizon oil rig sinks in Gulf

China

That's interesting China....So is the US govt covering up these mass problems?

interesting we only see it from Al Jazeera,but a panel to investigate the panels responsible is in order.

We are all going to die since the administration was clearly bought off :D

Peter, do you have any idea how long they say it will take sediment to cover the oil, and will that make much of a difference on a shorter time scale? Just curious.

It is going to depend on the density of the stuff that is remaining.

What we see in marshes in places like the Persian Gulf is that the oil becomes buried by relatively small levels of sediments but exist not to far below the surface (near enough that it affects things) for over a decade. Essentially, short term sediments can bury it, but longer term the oil is less dense so is going to come to the surface.

For the Gulf marshes fouled by the oil, I'd certainly expect the same sort of thing.

For the Gulf bottom, my expectation based on the components of oil and how people describe it (as slime) is that it is more dense than water so isn't going to come up on its own, but less dense than sediments so we will see something similar happen.

Given the lack of oxygen at that depth I don't expect the remnants to be metabolized too quickly.

I expect for at least that region of the Gulf the bottom has been altered for an extended period of time at least.

---------- Post added April-19th-2012 at 03:43 PM ----------

Looks like other sources are running the story:

http://www.usatoday.com/money/economy/story/2012-04-19/bp-oil-spill-sick-fish-discovered/54415076/1

Archived