Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

If Clausen is there in the 2nd round, do we try to trade up and get him?

ceviker

Kind of sucks that we could have kept our 2nd round pick and possibly gotten both our franchise LT AND franchise QB in the same draft. Oh well...

But...we did get our franchise LT and franchise QB in the same draft.

The rest of McNabb's career > Jimmy Clausen's potential career (imo)

at this point when it comes to grabbing a QB, i say it depends on what kyle shanny wants, if hes gonna be running this team down the road and thinks clausen will be the man then yes, we grab him but if he has any doubt then no, we dont waste much needed picks moving up to get him

Please elaborate how getting a great talent that was considered by many to a potential top 5 pick for a discounted price is a bad idea?

Let's see, his biggest issues seem to be about his personality and maturity. I'm sure that spending 3 years under Mike Shanahan, Kyle Shanahan and Donovan McNabb will do wonders for helping him develop as a QB and leader. Look at what Kyle did with Matt Schaub and Clausen is a much better prospect. From a financial standpoint it also makes a lot of sense. Instead of paying top ten money for a QB, we can get a prospect of that caliber on a 3 year contract that would come with being a second rounder.

We would need to move into the first few picks of the second round and everyone has already been saying that those picks are like first rounders anyway. With the team that Shanny is putting together, I expect a pick in the 20s anyway. So is it really a bad move to trade a pick in the 20s next year for a pick in the 30s this year that will get our QB of the future on a discounted contract?

I think it's odd a lot of Clausen supporters feel like he's only falling due to his "attitude" issues. If teams were confident on his can't miss potential he would be gone. It's not like he has an arrest record. Clausen's physical abilities leave a lot to be desired and when you only put up huge stats against some of the worst defenses in college football that's a huge red flag.

So what?

Get a guy next year, or the year after that.

McNabb is here for 2, 3, maybe even FIVE freakin' years. Qb is NOT a concern right now, and won't be for some time. And the last thing the Skins need is a QB controversy if McNabb has a bad game.

This team has way too many other pressing needs. I'd be disgusted if we wasted a pick on a QB.

Agreed.

While the Aaron Rodgers comparison is fair, think back to Favre's first "retirement" and how the Packers treated it. Once he said he was leaving there was no turning back with a young gun like Rodgers ready to take over. Favre clearly had a few years left in him (like McNabb does now) and we don't need to trade away AH or next years 1st for him (the only feasible ways to get him IMO).

If somehow Charles Brown could be had for next years first and Campbell, I'd give it up though. I see Brown as a 1st rounder anyway...that we would just be getting a year early. I'm not a trade picks guy...especially future, but this is a situation I'd give a shot. Two shiny new tackles to protect McNabb would give us a pretty solid future.

Just throwing it out there - if we were indeed going to take Clausen at 4 if we didn't get McNabb and he's there in the second round, do we try to make a move and get him in the 2nd?

What's with the crazy hypothetical? Why stop at if we didn't have McNabb and had a #2 pick? What if we traded JC, McNabb, and Haynesworth, for 40 picks in this years draft? What then?

McNabb is our QB for the foreseeable future. Get used to it.

If we make any trade to get Clausen, especially with McCoy still on the board, I will question Allen's and Shanahan's evaluation of talent. If we get Clausen, then the Trent Williams pick is suspect. But, I'm thinking they don't want Clausen...which makes me more a believer that the Williams pick will work out.

Why??

We don't need a QB in this draft. It's one of the LAST things we need.

edit: I'd say it's literally THE last thing we need in this draft. Jason Cambell is probably going to be our backup next season and if not him then Grossman. We can draft Donovan's replacement next year, or the next, or probably even the next, and maybe even the next.

Say no to Clausen.

The only way the Redskins will get a pick that early is to trade Haynesworth or give up next year's #1 pick as part of a package.

If the team trades Haynesworth I would like to see the Redskins invest a pick in the DL for a true nose tackle.

It would also be nice to see another OL or OLB/S.

The team can wait until 2011 to find a quarterback.

Exactly. Skins would have to give up their 2011 #1. There will be good QBs coming out next year. We need to keep our picks moving forward.

Do the Rams have a QB to hold down the fort until Bradford is ready? I think JC and a future #2 can be had for their #2.

Jimmy Clausen is the real deal. Someone above mentioned that McCoy is a better prospect than Causen. GET REAL! Clausen has a red flag "character" which made him drop. That makes teams feel like they are taking a risk because they are unsure if he can lead an NFL team. In my opinion he is fiery, which is a quality I like in a QB.

Who ever drafts Clausen will get a steal. He will be the best QB to come out of this draft. I hope we get the opportunity to develop him behind McNabb. The kid is a stud.

This is probably the best thing for Clausen besides the money aspect be bring the guy back down to earth and makes him have to work harder and learn more and finally be done with the prima donna act.

They guy will be a decent Qb in a couple of years for some team

If Notre Dame could learn how to play a little defense, maybe they would have won a few of those games. Do some research next time dude.

Ok Mr.Research. Present for us the one game in 3 years that showed you Clausen has what it takes against elite competition OR the game he even came close in an hostile environment. ***Hint: Don't bring back Purdue or Stanford types we want to be impressed

Ok Mr.Research. Present for us the one game in 3 years that showed you Clausen has what it takes against elite competition OR the game he even came close in an hostile environment. ***Hint: Don't bring back Purdue or Stanford types we want to be impressed

:box::munchout:

Archived