Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

News-Press, Peter Kerasotis, Race questioned in Roethlisberger suspension

SWFLSkins

From my local paper today. The question is raised about race being a factor in the suspension handed down. I don't know what to think about this but think unless writers quit bringing race into it, that racism will continue to live on. I would be interested in seeing what others think about this article. I don't even know if this guy is basing this off of anything other than speculation but I would like to write him back after I see what the concesus here is.

Fair or not, you have to understand, then, that the NFL's black players were watching the Roethlisberger case closely.

How would Goodell punish a white superstar quarterback and two-time Super

Bowl champion who has twice been involved in rape allegations

http://www.news-press.com/article/20100422/SPORTS/4220403/1010/sports/Goodell-should-have-done-more

First, I think Roethlisberger is guilty and should currently be sitting in a prison cell.

That said, Goodell has a tougher decision because Roethlisberger has never even been charged with anything. He simply was investigated. Is that unfair, you damn right it is, but it is what it is.

Goodell basically gave him a suspension for being investigated for a crime. A terrible crime, but nonetheless, just an investigation. Vic, for example, was convicted and put in jail.

Do I think Roethlisberger should be banned from the league, yes, but Goodell has to deal with the cards on the table. Not the cards that were not put down.

And, I don't see race as an issue in this case.

The story seems like an attempt to sensationalize a story. Big Ben's actions were clearly in the wrong, and a pattern could be seen developing, but I don't think you can compare this to Pacman, Tank Johson, Vick or Stallworth.

For one, Pacman and Tank had a bit of a history, Vick also had the interstate gambling ring going on as well as lying to Goddell and Blank, and Stallworth killed another through his actions.

The part that's important is that Ben must undergo behavior analysis. I think that's going to end up being a huge help in the long run. Hopefully, he realizes the problem and works towards improving himself.

Race plays a part in most high profile issues in this country, whether the public at large wants to admit it or not. It isn't "pulling the race card" to acknowledge that race is a factor in our daily life, just like saying "race played a role" is not the same as calling a specific group of people racists. People are unfortunately unwilling to consider any degree of nuance once a conversation turns to race. There's a large group of people who wish we'd never discuss race under any circumstances, and it's the same group of people who think invoking the issue of race is the same as accusing someone else of racism, and its the same group of people that might otherwise accuse someone of "playing the race card."

The new card that's played more often is "the race card" card. Playing the-race-card card is what you do when you'd rather not discuss race under any circumstances.

No I don't think race plays any part at all in the policies of the NFL. It's 2010 does racism still exist....sure it does, but I would like to think we as a society have come further than to think a comish of a sports league would hand out different rulings based on someone's race...JMHO.....and every writer or reporter that uses the race card without evidence does more harm than good when it comes to bringing everyone together...

If I saw Ben Rapelisberger on the streets I would spit in his face. However, this writer is dumb. Race played a factor in the case going to court, not his suspension. The suspension fits the crime. While he was never charged, which he should of been, a 6 game suspension is fair in my books. The rest of those clowns were guilty and charged so there suspension fit the crime.

If I saw Ben Rapelisberger on the streets I would spit in his face. However, this writer is dumb. Race played a factor in the case going to court, not his suspension. The suspension fits the crime. While he was never charged, which he should of been, a 6 game suspension is fair in my books. The rest of those clowns were guilty and charged so there suspension fit the crime.

Six foot five inches and 241 pounds. I hope you would be able to defend yourself after.

In some localaties spitting on someone can be comparable to assault. And it could lead to a civil suit as the person could feel you havea communicable disease and they "fear for their life."

Far reaching I know, but so is saying if you saw them walking down the street you would spit on them.

No I don't think race plays any part at all in the policies of the NFL. It's 2010 does racism still exist....sure it does, but I would like to think we as a society have come further than to think a comish of a sports league would hand out different rulings based on someone's race...JMHO.....and every writer or reporter that uses the race card without evidence does more harm than good when it comes to bringing everyone together...

To say "race played a factor in this case" is not to say "Goodell gives different suspensions based on players' skin colors."

Pacman was never charged with a crime for his incident in a Las Vegas nightclub. If Roethlisberger wasn't suspended, there would have been a perception from some (or many, who knows) that there's a racial double standard being applied.

There were external pressures on Goodell, some of them motivated by racial considerations, that effected the way this case played out.

"Race played a roll" is not the same as "_______ is a racist!"

People who don't want to talk about racism are as bad as the racists.

People who don't think that racism exists anymore need to get out of their bubbles.

People who don't think that race played a factor are unaware of how society works.

People who don't think that Roethlisberger has a past don't know his past.

Did I miss anyone?

Apparently I did. There is no such thing as "reverse racism"; racism is racism.

To say "race played a factor in this case" is not to say "Goodell gives different suspensions based on players' skin colors."

Pacman was never charged with a crime for his incident in a Las Vegas nightclub. If Roethlisberger wasn't suspended, there would have been a perception from some (or many, who knows) that there's a racial double standard being applied.

There were external pressures on Goodell, some of them motivated by racial considerations, that effected the way this case played out.

"Race played a roll" is not the same as "_______ is a racist!"

I agree. This is the best way to put it. I don't think race was a highly motivating factor in Goodell's decision, but I am looking for victims groups to come out in the masses like they did in the case of Mr. Vick. If not, I think we all know what is at play on their parts. I say this because there's no way I put the lives of dogs above that of a human and I think sexually violating a woman is a far harsher crime than fighting and killing dogs IMHO. I expect equal treatment in the eyes of the victims community.

I don't know what to think about this but think unless writers quit bringing race into it, that racism will continue to live on.

So if people don't discuss racism it will go away?

Look, there are several ways to look at Ben's punishment and really who's to say how it was decided on? Unless a black franchise QB gets accused of sexual assault twice there is no apples-to-apples comparison.

Unfortunately, cries of racism are becoming like cries of rape/sexual assault. The false accusations are clouding the legitimate claims.

Last week, Arrington accused the Steelers of being racist in their dealings with Holmes -- trading him for peanuts due to his pending suspension and night club assault case. He said that Rothliesberger was getting preferential treatment b/c he was white.

Accusing the Steelers, champions of the Rooney Rule, of racism. THis is one of those claims that clouds the legitimate instances.

Archived