Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Chris Mortensen on Twitter: Colt McCoy my not last until the 2nd round

Dr Drunkenstein

http://twitter.com/mortreport

After drafting Okung, would you trade the 2nd round pick & a player to trade up & get Colt McCoy late in the first before the Browns?

Nope, as much as i like Colt McCoy, I don't think its worth it to trade up unless we're getting an immediate impact player like a starting caliber OL.

I would sit at 37 and wait for Tebow.

I'm not surprised that Holmgren might like McCoy but since Holmgren has never drafted a QB in the 1st round it seems unlikely to me that he would move up in the 1st to draft one.

Trading up is not a good idea. And I really don't think McCoy goes in the 1st.

Agreed. I can't see McCoy going in the first and I can see him slipping into the third. I think there is a reason we have asked Tebow to have a private workout with us and not Colt. But right after I post this they will probably schedule one and I will loook like an idiot.

This is the question I have been asking myself for a while. Obviously we need help on the oline, but I just don't see how taking an OT at #4 is going to make us a much better team on offense than if we took an OT in the 2nd round. Stats have shown that taking a QB in the 1st and an OT in the 2nd has a much better success rate than taking an OT in the 1st and a QB in the 2nd.

Heck, I know a lot of people are touting Okung, but it's not like he doesn't have flaws. If Shanahan chooses Okung instead of Clausen, then I would be fine with that because it would tell me that Shanahan doesn't see a lot of value in Clausen.

We took Chris Samuels and he was great pick, but our offense was pretty much always mediocre to crap, regardless of how well he played. What have we been missing? A legit QB.

dead on dude. id feel much more comfortable taking a competent olineman in round 2 and taking the gamble on the QB. the payoff for a great QB instead of a great OL is tenfold.

the draft can come here today

sheesh I still do not know why everyone thinks okung will be at 4

The lions have targeted him and Suh and lets add the fact the lions are asking Matt Stafford about his thoughts on offensive draft prospects tells me as of know they are not choosing Suh..

They need to move the draft to march for real

and pass on dead arm Mccoy every time I watched him against nfl caliber type players he looked horribile

Suh heck the game against texas am i was more impressed with there Quarterback than dead arm..pass

Why Clausen? I'm not a huge fan but I don't know much about him either. Isn't he another Brady Quinn?

Why, because they both played for Notre Dame?

Clausen is a more complete QB than Quinn with a better arm, better decision making and critically far better accuracy IMO. I don't think he is a top 5 pick personally but I do think he compares favourably with Mark Sanchez for example.

I'm hoping we get either Bradford or Okung. If both are gone I take whichever of the DTs that fall to us and hope there is a tackle there when we pick in the second round. I'd leave QB for next year if we can't get Bradford and need to use our second round pick on a tackle.

This is the question I have been asking myself for a while. Obviously we need help on the oline, but I just don't see how taking an OT at #4 is going to make us a much better team on offense than if we took an OT in the 2nd round. Stats have shown that taking a QB in the 1st and an OT in the 2nd has a much better success rate than taking an OT in the 1st and a QB in the 2nd.

Heck, I know a lot of people are touting Okung, but it's not like he doesn't have flaws. If Shanahan chooses Okung instead of Clausen, then I would be fine with that because it would tell me that Shanahan doesn't see a lot of value in Clausen.

We took Chris Samuels and he was great pick, but our offense was pretty much always mediocre to crap, regardless of how well he played. What have we been missing? A legit QB.

What we have been missing is consistency. 5 head coaches in 10 years does not promote consistency, either in your roster or in philosophy.

What happened to the guys who said that everything starts with the lines?

This QB class is so bad. If we trade up for any of them or draft one before the 6th or 7th round as a project it will be extremely disheartening.

For you. It will be extremely disheartening for you. For some of us, a QB that the Shanahans believe in drafted in rounds 1-2 brings hope of seeing an actual offense flourish under our new regime, and a QB drafted anytime after that will at least be a project for the future. And lets just say that I have more confidence in the Shanahans' prospective projects than in Zorn's.

But disheartening? Hardly. If anything, the opposite would be true, at least for me. It would signal that installing a real offensive scheme isn't enough for Shanahan, that he wants HIS guy to run it HIS way and that he's found that person, if he drafts him. And honestly, if he does, it will be in the first or second round. We don't have a third, and Shanahan isn't going to hope to find "his" guy in the fourth or later, with all the needs this team has...at that point, it'll be BPA.

This QB class is so bad. If we trade up for any of them or draft one before the 6th or 7th round as a project it will be extremely disheartening.

Don't see this at all and i am not a McCoy fan. There are really good decent shots (they are all shots in every year) in this draft and other then Bradford I am not saying they are starting caliber from the start but I like LeFevour too.

So, in a year where a month ago NO quarterbacks other than Bradford were supposedly close to being top prospects, we are now to believe that EVERY quarterback is moving up the scale? :laugh:

First it was Clausen, all the way from a mid to late first round pick to top 5-10?

Then it was Tebow, supposedly going from a #3 pick all the way up to a JAX pick in Round 1 or early in Round 2?

Now it is Colt McCoy going in the top 25?

Who's next? Is there going to be a push to get Tony Pike into the top 20? :laugh:

I hope teams move up the board and take these quarterbacks this high, it means they will all have failed to acquire value for the pick and as opponents on Sunday, that is better for the Redskins! :D

I find it amusing how people think that #4 is too high for Clausen, but support trading up to the late first round to draft someone who should go in 3 or 4....

thing is... i like mccoy long term more then clausen long term. i like mccoy a lot actually... if he didnt get destroyed by alabamas dt... he might be a 1st rounder for sure... ahead of clausen

Exactly. Getting a LT in the 4th can still work. People keep acting if we don't draft OL with the first 2 picks, it's like we didn't draft OL at all. Why?

Easy. Because we have NO LT. None. Zero. We didn't land any in FA (not that the pickings were that good), and right now our depth there is pretty much Stephon Heyer seeing as how Levi is craptastic as well and hasn't even been offered a contract. If you have a decent OL already but are looking to upgrade or add depth you can afford to take a chance on a later round OT in the hopes that with hard work and good coaching he can eventually be a starter, or if you're really lucky, a quality LT in time.

Due to horrible management and ignoring the OL for years, the Skins don't have that luxury. What we need is a guy who can come in and start immediately at LT and at least hold his own. The chances of running across some gem like that in later rounds is extremely slim. Usually a later round guy is just going to be depth until he has time and coaching to get used to playing in the pros. Of course there are quality LTs in the league who aren't 1st rounders. But how many of them were able to start on the left side very early on and be successful?

If you want a guy who can start immediately at LT without being a complete joke, you are MUCH more likely to find one in the 1st, or high in the 1st round. Thomas, Long, Clady, Furgeson, Jamaal Brown, Shawn Andrews, Levi Brown. All of those guys were picked in the first half of the 1st round and all of them were able to immediately start at LT and play at least decently (Levi Brown) while some very quickly became Pro Bowl LTs.

It is the same thing with QB. The further down you go, generally the less likely you are to have a day 1 starter (or even someone who ends up staying in the NFL). Obviously some people here can't stand Jason Campbell, and to each their own. However if you look at the difference between the OL, which was already bad enough without now being completely minus a Left Tackle, and our QB I think you'll see that the OL situation is in much worse shape than the QB situation. Campbell at least put up some pretty respectable numbers and is a solid, but not great QB. all while playing behind quite possibly the worst OL in football and with no running game to speak of for much of the season. Add in practically high school level playcalling and it makes it even worse.

Archived