Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Chris Mortensen on Twitter: Colt McCoy my not last until the 2nd round

Dr Drunkenstein

Now, whether the pick is McCoy or someone else, that's up in the air. That being said, McCoy is still the 3rd QB on Mayock's board.

I'd still put Snead, LeFevour and even Tebow ahead of McCoy. The fact that McCoy is only 6'1" also hurts him.

I agree some GM/HC will take a flyer on him early simply because of how weak this QB draft class is.

"I'd still put Snead, LeFevour and even Tebow ahead of McCoy. The fact that McCoy is only 6'1" also hurts him.

I agree some GM/HC will take a flyer on him early simply because of how weak this QB draft class is."

Maybe Shanny has a thing for 6' 1" QBs...we did sign Grossman.

1) Trade down, pick up a late round OL in the first, and an OL in the second. Hopefully with the trade down we can get a 3rd round pick, and then grab Lefevour.

Pardon my ignorance, but if we were to trade down from the #4 overall pick in the draft, why hope we'd swap 1sts and pick up a 3rd? IMO, that should be the very minimum we'd consider depending on how far back we drop in the 1st.

Exactly. Getting a LT in the 4th can still work. People keep acting if we don't draft OL with the first 2 picks, it's like we didn't draft OL at all. Why?

I keep hearing that Jason Fox out of Miami may be available in the 4th because of injury concerns. Otherwise he'd be solidly in the 2nd round.

The difference in QB's to me between Bradford and LeFevour just isn't that huge.

I am happy taking the best QB still there....in the fourth round.

I REALLY like both of these guys but if you think there is no difference between them there is an issue here. Bradford is a guy you could start right now, Clausen might be able to as well. LeFevour I think will be a good NFL QB but will need sometime to acclimate IMO.

I am just not sold on McCoy and Tebow is the wildcard of the bunch.

In regards to the height issue, Drew Brees is almost 2 full inches shorter than Colt McCoy.

Exactly. Height, while ideal, doesn't mean nearly as much IMO. If a guy can play, he can play regardless of how tall he is.

Pardon my ignorance, but if we were to trade down from the #4 overall pick in the draft, why hope we'd swap 1sts and pick up a 3rd? IMO, that should be the very minimum we'd consider depending on how far back we drop in the 1st.

Most important thing in the trade back is who the other team is, and who do they want at #4.

But yes, my earlier senario had us trading with the 49rs, we would swap #1 picks, and get their 2nd and 4th rounders. That may be alittle rich, for us :D

But I would bet that if we were to somehow trade down, we would swap #1's, get either a second round pick, and maybe a pick next year.

Or swap 1st rounders and get a couple of third rounders.

Bengals, Titans, Falcons got 3rd round comps, Arizona and the Browns also have two third rounders, could get interesting.

MoveTheSticks

RT @brownsfan162452: What ya think of Colt Mccoy?>> reminds me a little of Jeff Garcia... Can have a nice career in the right offense35 minutes ago via TweetDeck

MoveTheSticks

RT @kish_man: Do you think Colt Mccoy will still be available when the Browns make their 2nd round pick?> If Bradford goes 1, yes I do31 minutes ago via TweetDeck

Where is the certainty coming from on those 2 picks, the mocks? I still see Suh much more often than Okung in the mocks for the Lions for the 2nd. But still aren't the mocks just guesses, with little certainty?

not from the mocks at all, more from the moves the Lions have made this offseason. they've already improved their d-line this offseason, stafford looks to have a bright future, but if they want the most out of it, they would be wise to get somebody to protect his blindside, thus Okung would be a great pick for them

Exactly. Getting a LT in the 4th can still work. People keep acting if we don't draft OL with the first 2 picks, it's like we didn't draft OL at all. Why?

A decent LT IMO won't be easy to find in the 4th round. I think though the position of not using either 1st or 2nd on the O line isn't really the hot debate from what I've noticed but many are crying foul if we don't use our first on a tackle as if an early 2nd on a LT is too late.

I've seen Jason Fox anywhere from in the 2nd to the 5th in mock drafts. Maybe Ciron Black or Capers but I usually see them higher, I don't see at least in mocks a wealth of possibilities of highy regarded LT's in the 4th. We could get lucky there but IMO that's too much of a risk. But what's wrong with drafting a QB in the first and an LT in the 2nd?

As for the early 2nd looks like we'd have a shot at a good one, possibly:

Charles Brown

Roger Safford

Vladimir Ducassee

For those showing McCoy some love, can any of you direct me to some game film from 2009 that shows he will be a quality NFL QB. I just don't see it. I'll admit, I was on his bandwagon at the end of last year, but that made me follow him more closely. I had to admit I was wrong about him. He won games, but I just don't see NFL QB.

not from the mocks at all, more from the moves the Lions have made this offseason. they've already improved their d-line this offseason, stafford looks to have a bright future, but if they want the most out of it, they would be wise to get somebody to protect his blindside, thus Okung would be a great pick for them

OK, but playing devil's advocate why not build an amazing D line, Schwartz is a defensive guy and he saw how Haynesworth set up the whole line for big years including one of the FA DE's he just signed.

If Suh is indeed an amazing prospect at DT why not grab him, and go for lets say Safford in the 2nd for LT. Okung seems to be regarded as a nice player but he doesn't seem to be getting the accolades that Suh gets as being best prospect at the position in years, etc.

so the difference between QBs is not huge, but the difference in LT is huge? please explain.

This is the question I have been asking myself for a while. Obviously we need help on the oline, but I just don't see how taking an OT at #4 is going to make us a much better team on offense than if we took an OT in the 2nd round. Stats have shown that taking a QB in the 1st and an OT in the 2nd has a much better success rate than taking an OT in the 1st and a QB in the 2nd.

Heck, I know a lot of people are touting Okung, but it's not like he doesn't have flaws. If Shanahan chooses Okung instead of Clausen, then I would be fine with that because it would tell me that Shanahan doesn't see a lot of value in Clausen.

We took Chris Samuels and he was great pick, but our offense was pretty much always mediocre to crap, regardless of how well he played. What have we been missing? A legit QB.

eastcoastsportsnews.com is saying that the Browns have mentioned that they could see themselves trading up with Detroit for the 2nd pick. I'm guessing that would mean Clausen to the Browns (who else would they trade up for?) That would leave Okung to us for sure. Great. In the second round, I'd prefer to trade down for a late second and third round pick. I'd take Tebow with the late 2nd if he were available. Both he and McCoy seem like decent risks to me, but risks just the same. If we're going to take a risk, we need to get that extra pick in the 3rd for another tackle or running back.

Archived