Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rex or Colt Starter???

Renegade7

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Had a mini-discussion in another thread about this idea. If JC get injured in the regular season, who of the two QBs would you rather be sent out first to try on run the offense?

Rex Grossman?

or

Colt Brennan?

*I don't believe either of them are starting material, but Rex knows Kyle's offense, is a veteran, and has won regular season and playoff games, even if he sucks now. To me, there's a reason Colt has stayed a thrid stringer his little bit of time here, and is coming off IR. We may have another poll like this after the preseason, but in the mean time, we might as well see where everyone stands right now.

Keep it civil, people.

*I don't believe either of them are starting material, but Rex knows Kyle's offense, is a veteran, and has won regular season and playoff games, even if he sucks now. To me, there's a reason Colt has stayed a thrid stringer his little bit of time here, and is coming off IR. We may have another poll like this after the preseason, but in the mean time, we might as well see where everyone stands right now.

Basically...

There are only two options, and both of them are already on the roster. They aren't future draft picks or other possible veteran free agents.

Don't hijack this thread, there are a million other places you can redundantly argue the same crap over and over again in the stadium right now.

I feel what some of ya'll are saying, and I too kinda want to see what Colt can do. Thing is to me, he could come in there and we'll see him end a game for us in one play. The same can be said for Grossman, so it's like pick your poison with this one. Unless Colt can show me something in the preseason, I'm more comfortable with the "known" variable, even if it's possible doom.

We've seen what Rex can do and I don't buy into the "He knows the offense" argument. He was with Kyle Shanahan in Houston for what, one season? And in that time, he played in 1 game if I'm not mistaken.

He's a classic Spurrier bust and I am not at all supportive of this move.

That being said, I'd rather see CB5 make a go of it. If nothing else, we haven't seen it. At the absolute worst, he'd be another edition of Sexy Rexy's Unleash the Dragon.

If it's a close game - Colt

If it's a game we need to win - Colt

If we're down by 50+ - Rex

If we're up by 50+ - Rex (if it's in the fourth quarter with 2 min. left - other than that...there's still a chance for him to make enough mistakes that the other team could win)

We've seen what Rex can do and I don't buy into the "He knows the offense" argument. He was with Kyle Shanahan in Houston for what, one season? And in that time, he played in 1 game if I'm not mistaken.

He's a classic Spurrier bust and I am not at all supportive of this move.

That being said, I'd rather see CB5 make a go of it. If nothing else, we haven't seen it. At the absolute worst, he'd be another edition of Sexy Rexy's Unleash the Dragon.[/Q

Im with you on this one

Grossman may be good enough to finish a game but...I dont even know if I trust him enough to finish a game

what does that even mean? I feel like I'm questioning Bruce Dickinson, yes...The Bruce Dickinson.

Rex has proven he can win and lose in the NFL, Colt has proven nothing. If it's a matter of wanting to win the game, I vote Rex. If it's an it doesn't matter our team is horrible, like last year, than let the Shetland Pony see what he can do.

If it's a close game - Colt

If it's a game we need to win - Colt

If we're down by 50+ - Rex

If we're up by 50+ - Rex (if it's in the fourth quarter with 2 min. left - other than that...there's still a chance for him to make enough mistakes that the other team could win)

Too bad the third QB rules wouldn't allow for that. We'd have to decide who the backup is before the game, not during, if we don't want to risk having to put our third stringer in and hope he doesn't get injured. The other QBs can't come in for, what, two quarters if the third gets put in?

Too bad the third QB rules wouldn't allow for that. We'd have to decide who the backup is before the game, not during, if we don't want to risk having to put our third stringer in and hope he doesn't get injured. The other QBs can't come in for, what, two quarters if the third gets put in?

Well, I'll be...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_quarterback_rule

Third quarterback rule

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The third quarterback rule is a rule in the National Football League that governs the use of a third quarterback in addition to the starter and the backup. The third quarterback does not count towards the team's 45-man active roster. If the third quarterback enters the game during any of the first three quarters, the starter and backup become ineligible to play.[1]

The full text of the rule is:

Teams will be permitted an Active List of 45 players and an Inactive List of eight players for each regular-season and postseason game. Provided that a club has two quarterbacks on its 45-player Active List, a third quarterback from its Inactive List is permitted to dress for the game, but if he enters the game during the first three quarters, the other two quarterbacks are thereafter prohibited from playing.[2]

Although it is not specifically indicated, the NFL has interpreted its rule to mean that in order to designate a third quarterback, the two on the active roster must both be "bona fide" quarterbacks, not other position players merely designated as quarterbacks.[3]

[edit] History

The third quarterback rule was instituted for the 1991 NFL season in reaction to a 1990 game between the Washington Redskins and Philadelphia Eagles. In that game—sometimes referred to as the "Body Bag Game"—Redskins lost both starting quarterback Jeff Rutledge and backup Stan Humphries to injuries. Without a third quarterback on their active roster, Washington had to either use a different player for that position or forfeit the game. Brian Mitchell completed the game in the quarterback position. The Redskins lost to the Eagles, 28-14.[4]

Didn't know that, but go figure it was the body-bag game that start all this. :doh:

Yep (edit to add: looking at the link above, the other QBs can't come in at all if a third stringer plays) Which is why I voted Colt.

Since the two scenarios in which I wouldn't mind seeing Rex are highly unlikely, other than for practice, there shouldn't be any reason for Rex to be on the field during any point in his tenure here in Washington.

Archived