Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES: Redskins asking for trouble with Portis/Johnson duo

themurf

johnson031610.jpg

(photo by Brian Murphy)

Is there a less likeable backfield in the NFL today than Clinton Portis and Larry Johnson?

Both running backs head into next season with huge question marks hanging over their head (namely, does either guy have anything left in the tank?), each player is fully capable of making headlines for all the wrong reasons and neither will ever be in the running for “most popular teammate.” But other than that, things are great in Ashburn these days.

So yeah, that’s where we’re at. The last time Portis was brought up, it was because his teammates had finally grown tired of his selfish ways and spoke out against him. It seems that after years of thinking he was above the law or that he wasn’t held to the same standard as the rest of the Redskins players, Portis’ act had finally set off his teammates.

“With Clinton, it’s not a big secret. Everybody knows he doesn’t practice,” said a teammate who asked that his name be withheld. “And then he fires off on someone. You’ve heard people say, ‘Well that’s just C.P. being C.P.’ So what? Does that excuse him for his actions? It shouldn’t. It shouldn’t because there are 53 guys on the squad. Why should one man be different?”

For those keeping score at home, the breaking point in this situation seemed to be if you’re out of the lineup and rarely even bother to show up at your place of work, then you probably shouldn’t badmouth the guys who are there every day putting in the time and effort. Sounds reasonable, right?

But that didn’t stop Portis from running his mouth about Redskins quarterback Jason Campbell on the radio and, honestly, it’s not like this was an isolated instance. Even on his way out the door, backup running back Rock Cartwright couldn’t help but question Portis.

“They never really took care of the guys that put all the hard work in, worked every day, practiced every day,” Cartwright said. “I remember there were times when there wasn’t nobody practicing but Ladell Betts and I, because C.P. didn’t want to practice. So it was just Ladell Betts and I practicing day in and day out. And then they expect you to go out and perform on Sunday, and when you do go out and perform on Sunday, they never reward you.”

Okay, let’s see if we’ve got this straight. Portis has lost a step and is no longer the player he used to be, has questionable practice habits, regularly says something dumb and/or throws his teammates under the bus on a weekly radio show. Did we leave anything out?

Now, you’re adding Johnson to the equation, and you’re not going to believe this, but drama apparently follows this guy wherever he goes as well.

Things started back in 2004 when Kansas City Chiefs coach Dick Vermeil told Johnson to “take the diapers off” in response to what the coach perceived was a casual approach toward preparation. Instead of taking the hint that maybe he should work harder if he wanted to see the playing field more often, Johnson got pissy.

Click here for full article.

Good questions. Personally, I don't think Portis will be that much of a problem. I don't think you are going to have the questions about "special treatment" with Shanahan around. I do think that the team needs to have a talk with him about his radio appearances, when more often than not he says more than he should. That being said, Portis usually gives it his all when he's on the field.

As for LJ, we'll have to wait and see if he can leave some of his outbursts behind him. It will also be interesting to see if he can coexist with Portis.

But, one thing I do see in common here is that this stuff comes out when teams do poorly and frustrations boil over. Some handle it better than others. Personally, I was pretty amazed that the team overall was able to keep a lid on it for so long last year. Course, some are speaking out now that the principles are gone (or the other way around).

loved the article.. first line is classic... and this is what worried me about shanahan (second to his lack of focus on defensive personnel)... shanny has always had some questionable guys on his rosters... you need look no further than his gamble on clarett to sort of get an idea of what he is willing to risk in return for production...

while I think shanny has all the x's and o's necessary to lead a team to the top, I question his grasp of chemistry and character.. there's a fine line between getting top notched character guys who aren't true number one's at their position (see gibbs 2) but there's another in thinking just because a guy puts up the stats you want, it will translate to those crucial moments that define a team late in the season...

I just can't believe we'd get LJ on this squad with the success shanny has had with RBs in general and the depth of the draft this year at that position...

I just can't believe we'd get LJ on this squad with the success shanny has had with RBs in general and the depth of the draft this year at that position...

Course, you are assuming that we don't draft someone. Also, the nice thing about this year is that you can let players go without repercussions. That is one thing that is going to keep players in line for the most part this season.

Personally, I would have rather we had grabbed Willie Parker.

I still say that they signed LJ to light a fire in CP's ass and he clearly needs it. The fact that they signed LJ to a incentive ladened contract should do nothing but motivate him to push CP.

I've said before that I loved CP' before the Zorn tenure, but his constant running to the media and throwing teammates under the bus was a major turnoff.

For those thinking it wasn't a big deal? Think again. The quotes from teammates suggest otherwise.

While the signing of LJ had me scratching my head a bit, I trust that Allen and Shanny used due dilligence in making the decision to sign him.

Ah Betts.

What a waste of a career in a dysfunctional organization.

Come on now McD. This isn't the time or place for that. Focus on another well written piece by Murf. Perhaps you should start a Betts "Swan Song" thread for Betts. Which BTW I agree with your sentiment, but again this isn't the place for it.

Come on now McD. This isn't the time or place for that. Focus on another well written piece by Murf. Perhaps you should start a Betts "Swan Song" thread for Betts. Which BTW I agree with your sentiment, but again this isn't the place for it.

It's a great article KG.

You know the answer. Every fan on earth knows the answer.

You dump Portis immediately. Even dump the entire RB roster if you like, including Betts. And replace them with younger runners, and maybe even one LJ as a vet.

He simply isn't worth the risk of destroying the locker room again.

They just didn't have the balls to do it.

Course, you are assuming that we don't draft someone. Also, the nice thing about this year is that you can let players go without repercussions. That is one thing that is going to keep players in line for the most part this season.

Yeah, this is the one saving grace of LJ's contract this year. The moment he tries to act up, he's gone, end of story, possibly end of career. So unless he is an absolute idiot, he had better put up AND shut up.

He simply isn't worth the risk of destroying the locker room again.

The locker room was never "destroyed" by Portis. (I'd argue that the locker room was pretty strong, considering everything that went on last season.) Teammates were frustrated with him, but I doubt that they let that affect them all that much, particularly after he was out for the remainder of the season.

Actually, a lot of the problems teammates have with Portis is more of a coaching issue more than anything. The fact that he played without practicing. That's something that isn't likely to happen under Shanahan, especially with the presence of KJ on the roster.

loved the article.. first line is classic... and this is what worried me about shanahan (second to his lack of focus on defensive personnel)... shanny has always had some questionable guys on his rosters... you need look no further than his gamble on clarett to sort of get an idea of what he is willing to risk in return for production...

Yeah, I think we were so happy to have Mike Shanahan/Bruce Allen on board because they represented an obvious upgrade over what we had that we overlooked some of their mistakes in the past.

Cheating the salary cap and drafting Maurice Clarett should be two pretty big red flags. Lets hope those days are long gone.

"Porta John" backfield. LMAO!

If you don't think I'm going to embrace this and use it often ... well, then you just don't know me at all.

This is going to be a very interesting season with these two. Yet i'm not certain that they will be able to coexist for the entire year. One of them will be gone. Anyways, it was a good piece. I like how you referenced those older articles for perspective. Really has me thinking......

I think the signing of LJ is Shannys way of sending a message to CP...let both hot heads fight for time...not to mention...I believe both will recieve equal playing time...unless one outshines the other...JMHO

PS... I would love it if Shanny goes after a RB late in the draft...and this new kid steals the show ;)

My question is will it be MS or KS that motivates and works with these guys everyday? We are losing sight of Kile in all of these discussions. I don't think Mike will be as hands on as we are use to with Zorn and therefore alot more aloof to the everyday BS.

Great mobile setup on the site murf.

At best, LJ could be the new Gerald Riggs. At worst, he's cut and never sees an NFL roster again.

Pretty low risk high reward if you ask me.

Great commentary tho.

First of all, thanks for the compliment on the mobile stuff. We've been adding subtle little updates to the site over the last month - stuff like that. Glad to see folks are noticing.

Now, more importantly, onto the Larry Johnson signing. I made it pretty clear with what I wrote today that I'm not a fan of the LJ signing. But one thing I didn't have a problem with was the contract they inked him to. If you decide to go after him, that's the perfect offer to give him - make him earn his money. Keep him motivated to stay hungry and out of trouble.

I didn't like the signing, but I have no issue with the contract.

All they have to do is both show up to the first day of training camp and do an interview in a joint costume (batman and robin for example) and everyone will love both of them again.

Good on-field performace would be nice as well.

While I've always been a fan of Portis, he has definitely done and said too many things that undercut his team. Now, throw in a worthless, woman-beating, self-righteous ******* like Larry Johnson and there is more cause to be concerned. I love Portis and hope he turns it around... Larry can just kiss my ass.

Archived