Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES: Redskins asking for trouble with Portis/Johnson duo

themurf

Since Betts was a 2nd round pick i think we can now say he was a bust. Never really saw what you did in him but to each his own. As a Redskin, he was a 2nd round bust.

On topic i like the combo in the backfield this year. Two running backs that can light it up in a system that Portis has already done well in. I would be shocked if Portis doesn't come ready to play this year. Whether or not he plays well when ready we will have to wait in see. If he faulters id much rather have LJ as the backup than Betts.

No question that Betts was a massive bust for the Skins.

Here's a guy who got beat out by Kenny Watson in 2002. Who failed to beat out Trung Canidate in 2003. Who lost out to Rock freaking Cartwright in 2003.

This is why Gibbs made the move to get an elite runner in 2004. Someone he knew he could not only get production from, but also he can rely on him to be there game in and game out season after season.

One does almost feel bad for Betts though. I mean in his one BRIEF productive moment (5 games in 2006) all anyone remembers (except for a few Ladell freaks) are his fumbles. Then after signing that contract our dumb FO gave him, his only memorable plays have been the goalline failure in 07 against the Giants and his choke fumble that almost cost us the Seahawks game in 08. Sad.

As for this thread, I think the Skins should have gone younger in finding runners to backup Clinton but I do defer to Shanahan on the decision. I do think that it reflects badly on our team to sign a repeat woman beater to the squad. I wish we hadn't. Oh well.

Call me foolish but I think the Portis/Johnson Duo is going to shock a lot of people (in a positive way).

The way I see it is Portis knows the joyride is over with MS here and will act accordingly. As for Johnson, there are way too many personal connections associated between Johnson and this team for Johnson to start trouble here. His father played for the Redskins. The guy who hired him is the son of the Coach his old man played for. And he is from the DC Area and grew up a Skins fan.

Will either of these guys be the starting back at the end of the year? or 2012? Shannahan finds late round gems, that is documented. He also knows how to deal with prima donnas. By bringing in Johnson he just made Portis alittle less sure of himself. But If I were CP I would not worry about Johnson but the ? that will be brought in.

the coach ...

that is all that matters.

I too have been pretty impressed that the skins have been able to avoid off field issues and a-hole players, but I think Shanny will keep LJ and CP in line.

You mentioned character and chemistry are important ... and while I agree with that, its the Head Coach that sets the tone in those departments, not the player. The HC can either do it, or not do it.

Now, the player(s) have the ability to set that tone as well, but then you get the 2009 Redskins.

I am going to have faith that these guys know that Shanny don't take no mess.

the coach ...

that is all that matters.

I too have been pretty impressed that the skins have been able to avoid off field issues and a-hole players, but I think Shanny will keep LJ and CP in line.

You mentioned character and chemistry are important ... and while I agree with that, its the Head Coach that sets the tone in those departments, not the player. The HC can either do it, or not do it.

It's a new day at Redskins Park and I guess I need to adjust my expectations. When Joe Gibbs was here, he focused on building a team around players who were good locker room guys and who stayed out of trouble. Mike Shanahan is the guy who had no problem bringing in Maurice Clarett when most others teams took him off their draft board completely because he's such a knucklehead.

If Shanahan thinks a player will help him win, he's going to go after him. Even if that player is regularly involved in domestic disputes, etc.

AH is not a slacker, i dont know where you people get this stuff from

He is not in shape...have you seen him go out because he is tired, or fake injuries so he can get a breather. If you can't get in shape to play the whole game then you are slacking off with your conditioning.

Cue the Clinton Portis Media Tour:

1. Don't Practice

2. Throw Teammate under bus

3."I was misquoted" or "it was taken out of context"

4.????

5. Profit

Under this regime there are three more steps...

6. Shanahan telling CP to shut up.

7. CP saying he isn't happy here.

8. Shanahan telling CP he is free to leave...see ya!

Archived