Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES: Redskins asking for trouble with Portis/Johnson duo

themurf

It's a great article KG.

You know the answer. Every fan on earth knows the answer.

You dump Portis immediately. Even dump the entire RB roster if you like, including Betts. And replace them with younger runners, and maybe even one LJ as a vet.

He simply isn't worth the risk of destroying the locker room again.

They just didn't have the balls to do it.

This team is much better off without Portis. He is absolutely a locker room cancer. It will only get worse as he seeks to blame others for his poor performances.

Cut him while there is no cap!!!

Ah Betts.

What a waste of a career in a dysfunctional organization.

The new coach had a chance to set a tone.

Instead, we now waste another season as Portis falters again.

How do we know for sure that we're going to 'waste' another season with Portis?

For one, the guy knows he's on notice. With the signing of LJ (which I question as well, but it is a low risk, high reward signing) he also knows that he's essentially expendable. Plus, we still have a long way to go until TC. That's plenty of time for Shanahan to draft a young running back in the mid to late rounds, or to find another UDFA gem in the mold of Selvin Young type who could pay off big for us.

If you guys really think that we're going to waltz into the season with ONLY two old running backs, you're crazy.

You dump Portis immediately. Even dump the entire RB roster if you like, including Betts. And replace them with younger runners, and maybe even one LJ as a vet.

He simply isn't worth the risk of destroying the locker room again.

They just didn't have the balls to do it.

Once again, I disagree McD.

Despite the turmoil that went on this past season, there was no sense of a locker room collapse like the types you've heard about in Cleveland or on the Jets under Mangini or in Philly with TO. That has a lot to do with the veteran leadership we already had established on the team. Despite Portis' annoying antics, I didn't get a sense that the locker room was 'destroyed.' If it were, I guarantee you we would have heard about it.

Us not dumping Portis was a matter of cost and production IMO. Whether we let him go or not, the monstrous contract Gibbs/Cerrato handed him guarantees that he's going to get paid. I believe Allen looked at this, and figured that since they're going to have to pay him anyway, they might as well put him through mini camp and training camp to see if he can play anything like the Portis of old under Shanahan.

Believe me when I say that I truly believe if Portis continues acting out, he will be cut. Shanahan won't deal with his nonsense for long if it threatens to divide the locker room.

Just a thought that I haven't seen conveyed yet.

I am guessing we draft a RB with one of our draft picks and I hope that person is not easily influenced by the character of others around him. I dread thinking about having a talented, young RB on the roster with Portis and Johnson around to influence his character.:puke:

Back on the subject, I agree with others that the potential is there, but how many times has a player's potential ever really worked out for us?

Finally, no one is going to make of difference rushing the ball if we don't fix the O-line and block better.

Peace & HTTR!!!

Did he have concussion like Portis and stop playing?

If having both of them translates to more wins, then i'm all for it. Would it have been interesting to sign Ladainian Tomlinson and Brian Westbrook to a 1 year contract with the minimum salary? I know Lt signed with the Jets already. What about Westbrook?

There's plenty of reason to dislike those two... LJ is an idiot, pure and simple, and CP doesn't know when to keep his mouth shut. Still, I don't really see why this is a major concern. Shanahan knows what he's doing. RBs are relatively expendable and both of these players know that their respective careers are on thin ice at this point. They'll behave or they'll be replaced by some as of yet unknown quantity waiting in the wings.

This team is much better off without Portis. He is absolutely a locker room cancer. It will only get worse as he seeks to blame others for his poor performances.

[Obnoxious formatting redacted.]

You do realize that there is absolutely no benefit to cutting Portis from a strictly cap perspective, right? He would be easy to cut next year with a cap in place and almost all of the money he earns this year is guaranteed.

There's plenty of reason to dislike those two... LJ is an idiot, pure and simple, and CP doesn't know when to keep his mouth shut. Still, I don't really see why this is a major concern. Shanahan knows what he's doing. RBs are relatively expendable and both of these players know that their respective careers are on thin ice at this point. They'll behave or they'll be replaced by some as of yet unknown quantity waiting in the wings.

You do realize that there is absolutely no benefit to cutting Portis from a strictly cap perspective, right? He would be easy to cut next year with a cap in place and almost all of the money he earns this year is guaranteed.

Bingo, Shanahan won't put up with any crap. If they blow it, they will be cut...plain and simple.

For years and years now we have signed this guy or that guy, we are gonna be great because we got that guy or the other guy. Personally, I am gonna go with this backfield is gonna be awesome because its the exact opposite of what everyone is saying. I know its silly and illogical but cmon', how often do you see it? Seriously. Does it EVER work out the way everyone says it will? They will push each other. Portis behaves the way he does because he is insecure. He acts out because he is insecure. He talks smack about everyone but himself because he is insecure. He bashes his genius coach because he is insecure. . . I see him performing well this year and being a model teamate for the same reason this year. Because he knows he won't have anyone to blame. Its Shannahan now, not Zorn (God bless his heart). Its LJ behind him not Ladell Betts. As for LJ, I like him with a chip on his shoulder. He has nowhere else to go if he screws this up and it won't cost us anything if he does. He will perform, be a leader on and off the field or he will be gone never to touch the NFL landscape again. Watch, we are gonna be able to run the ball like we haven't in years. Watch. Feel free to show me this thread later if that doesn't happen.

I think LJ realizies this is his last shot and Portis knows it's time to put on the work clothes. This is the perfect year to try the experiment because there are no cap implications if you cut them.

Granted, Portis gets a crapload of guaranteed money but if he doesn't bust his butt, you wait until the final cuts, get rid of him and then it's harder for him to catch on with another team. He may collect that money but he won't be double-dipping.

LJ's money is all performance-based. He's even easier to cut. I don't really see anything but a win-win situation for the Skins. You either get these guy's best efforts or you make an example of them and the players know you're serious.

Ah Betts.

What a waste of a career in a dysfunctional organization.

Since Betts was a 2nd round pick i think we can now say he was a bust. Never really saw what you did in him but to each his own. As a Redskin, he was a 2nd round bust.

On topic i like the combo in the backfield this year. Two running backs that can light it up in a system that Portis has already done well in. I would be shocked if Portis doesn't come ready to play this year. Whether or not he plays well when ready we will have to wait in see. If he faulters id much rather have LJ as the backup than Betts.

LJ's money is all performance-based. He's even easier to cut. I don't really see anything but a win-win situation for the Skins. You either get these guy's best efforts or you make an example of them and the players know you're serious.

Name one big-name free agent who the Redskins have signed that was a "win-win." They all sound great on their way in town. None of them are better off after leaving here. We don't get a guy like Drew Brees who goes on to bigger and better things after leaving his former squad.

I agree that IF you're going to sign a guy like Johnson, then you've gotta make it a pay-for-performance type of situation. I'm just saying it'd be better if the Redskins never signed him to begin with.

We all know what a d bag Portis is and that if he didn't have such an awful contract he would have been gone with the others this year...when on the field CP is on of the best RB's ever to play the game but off the field and in the locker room he is a cancer period

It's really a shame that CP and LJ don't have the same work (or character) ethic as Betts and Rock.

:helmet: The Rook

Yeah why is it the people who don't have enough talent to see the field unless there's an injury always have the best work ethic?

The training camp hasn't even taken place yet and we see this kind of negative writeup. Come on Murf, give shanny a chance. This sounds like something that would have been written with Vinny running the show. Give them a chance to weed out the "bad eggs". Please be patient until we actually see what the roster looks like.:dallasuck

Name one big-name free agent who the Redskins have signed that was a "win-win." They all sound great on their way in town. None of them are better off after leaving here. We don't get a guy like Drew Brees who goes on to bigger and better things after leaving his former squad.

I agree that IF you're going to sign a guy like Johnson, then you've gotta make it a pay-for-performance type of situation. I'm just saying it'd be better if the Redskins never signed him to begin with.

The difference between this big name and past big names is that he didn't get a $10,000,000.00 signing bonus. I doubt Johnson will regain any former glory here, but he can contribute. At his current salary I'd say a 600 yard season from him would be a success. I also like him a lot more in the redzone than any other back we've had on the roster in a while.

Let Shanahan earn his money and get the most out of these players. That's what the good coaches do. He's dealt with plenty of idiots in his career.

The locker room was never "destroyed" by Portis. (I'd argue that the locker room was pretty strong, considering everything that went on last season.) Teammates were frustrated with him, but I doubt that they let that affect them all that much, particularly after he was out for the remainder of the season.

Actually, a lot of the problems teammates have with Portis is more of a coaching issue more than anything. The fact that he played without practicing. That's something that isn't likely to happen under Shanahan, especially with the presence of KJ on the roster.

I don't think the locker room's destroyed either. It's not like the team is divided in two. Wait... now that I think about it, I wonder what Santana's stance on all of this is. He's been quiet about it all.

Anyway, I don't think the team's problem with Portis is primarily him not practicing and starting. As you said, that's a coaching issue. I think the team's problem with Portis is him throwing everyone under the bus when he's in no position to talk. And when he backpedals, he does it half-assed so everyone knows how genuine he is not.

I think the signing of LJ is Shannys way of sending a message to CP...let both hot heads fight for time...not to mention...I believe both will recieve equal playing time...unless one outshines the other...JMHO

PS... I would love it if Shanny goes after a RB late in the draft...and this new kid steals the show ;)

We have a young kid in Alridge who could definitely steal the show.

Dude every day your signature looks more and more like mine. What's up with that?

And you don't just up and get rid of someone when your that financially invested in them, you do damage control and figure out how to get the most you can out of them. Especially when your bringing in a new coach and offensive scheme that he's familiar with and respects more than the past regime. And definitley NOT before you've seen him in mini camps. There are much less expensive ways to make a statement to Portis, and signing on other veterans is one of them.

There's enough rebuilding that needs to happen this year already without adding unnecessary holes on our offense just to prove a point. As troublesome as Portis could POTENTIALLY be, getting rid of him without a proven replacement is a million times worse. Then we'd be forced to "give" the starting role to someone else out of desperation, and without any competition, which brings us right back to the current problem of motivation.

I am, for the first time as a Redskin fan, totally embarrassed to have a certain player on our team. This POS is a woman beater-a self centered *******. His father should be completely ashamed that he raised someone like that. But then again, maybe his father is the same type of POS guy.

Just crossing my fingers that nothing crazy happens.

I like the signing but do not like the player. This is a good move by the FO, we have good insurance should Portis go down.

I hate women beaters but hopefully that has been addressed and should LJ do it again under our watch, we should send someone like Sellers to beat the crap our of him before cutting his ass.

Murf, I can understand your sentiments and I agree that this is a risky move.

However, I question why we're thinking of our running attack as primarily one that will consist of ONLY Portis and Johnson. I have a feeling that we'll be adding at least one, if not two young guys through the draft and after the draft, and this will be more of a running back by committee approach, which is what Denver had become in the last few years of Shanahan's time there.

Plus, let's not pretend that Shanahan is the only guy we've had who has taken risks on low character guys for a high reward, including Joe Gibbs. Our beloved Sean Taylor himself was a bit of a knucklehead before he came here, until he grew up and became the great person we all knew he could be. That was a risky, high reward situation for Gibbs, considering Sean's talent and how high he was drafted. Even in the past, a guy like Dexter Manley was a controversial character with high reward all over it.

I agree that I'm holding my breath and not extremely excited over the LJ signing, but I'm not entirely against it either. If running back gurus like Shanahan and Boddy Turner think a guy like LJ has something left in the tank, then I trust their judgment.

Archived