Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Browns trade Quinn...interested in trading up to #4 for Claussen?

hunterx

I mentioned this scenario (us taking Claussen) last night to TK, both as part of a trade-back deal and I was even wondering if we flat might do it at #4 even if that's "too high" in many people's opinions, and he said the same thing then, and a little more. :)

So is it Bradford or Claussen if BOTH are there at 4?....Let's say BLC is right and Shanny likes Claussen above all other QB's in the draft...what will be the backlash if Shanny takes Jimmy C...over Bradford if both of them are there at 4? I bet the answer is "well I trust the front office"...ok then we shouldn't have any "What is the FO thinking" threads if they go Oline right?

I dont see any QB besides Bradford bring a "Franchise " QB...Period...Clausen had losing seasons every year in college What makes everyone say he is a franchise Qb? Wow ND fans got to get real and think...You build the line first then get a QB behind it...OKUNG at #4!!!!!

First of all, thats not true. He was 7-6 in 2008, 6-6 in 2009

Second, he doesn't play defense

Clausen, Floyd and Tate are the only reason why that team ever won a game. He had MANY 4th Quarter comebacks some of which the defense ended up blowing again.

I think he's a franchise QB because he's smart, makes great decisons, accurate, reads defenses, pro ready,

Lastly I do not like ND at all. I'm actually a HD hater. I dislike them just as much as I dislike Duke. BUT I'm objective and I can put that aside. The kid can play. I've watched Clausen play a lot and I think he has the tools to be a star.

There's a certain former familiar face from Redskins Park that has ties to ND & has been working with Jimmy to get him ready to enter the NFL.

Jimmy Claussen.

DO. NOT. WANT.

TK

I don't like Vinny as much as anybody else on this board, but he has nothing to do with Clausen the football player. Of course Vinny his tryn to help his ND guy. I dont like it but, it is what it is.

Do u think he can't be able to play QB in the NFL?

Vinny has nothing to do with it at the end of the day. I want the kid cause he can play. I don't really care who advises him.

How would u feel if Shanahan drafted him?

First of all, thats not true. He was 7-6 in 2008, 6-6 in 2009

Second, he doesn't play defense

Clausen, Floyd and Tate are the only reason why that team ever won a game. He had MANY 4th Quarter comebacks some of which the defense ended up blowing again.

I think he's a franchise QB because he's smart, makes great decisons, accurate, reads defenses, pro ready,

Lastly I do not like ND at all. I'm actually a HD hater. I dislike them just as much as I dislike Duke. BUT I'm objective and I can put that aside. The kid can play. I've watched Clausen play a lot and I think he has the tools to be a star.

Here we go again. Everytime the Golden Boy doesn't get it done it's the defenses fault. He just executed every time he had the ball. What a perfect specimen.I'll see how far you want to ride that excuse in the Big Boy league.

I'm not against taking Clausen at #4, any more than I am against taking Bradford, or OL. I'm happy with either one, if that's what our FO wants.

Now, if we take defense at #4...........I might have to stop coming here for a couple months until I can cool down. If Suh is there at #4, then trade out if possible, if not, go with the offensive player that's there because there's no way Okung and both QBs are gone.

I'd be happy with Clausen, and if he's good, I guess I might have to go get a new jersey.

Here we go again. Everytime the Golden Boy doesn't get it done it's the defenses fault. He just executed every time he had the ball. What a perfect specimen.I'll see how far you want to ride that excuse in the Big Boy league.

I'm not really a Clausen cheerleader, but he did have a pretty great season last year, as far as what he could control went. 4 Ints in a year is pretty epic. It's obvious he didn't do anything to LOSE the games. Their defense gave up an average of 26 points per game, and the offense scored an average of 30 points per game. Their lowest scoring game was a 20 - 16 win over BC, they were in the 20s 4 times last season (2 of those were wins and 2 loses), the rest of the time they were over 30 points. Not sure how that would be the offenses fault.

I'm just saying, you sound more biased than you do rational. I'm not trying to be a jerk, but you haven't backed up your statement with anything yet.

i saw a report on rotoworld that shanny is interested in clausen. here it is:

NFL Network's Mike Lombardi predicts that the Redskins will draft Notre Dame QB Jimmy Clausen with the No. 4 overall pick.

It's also worth noting that K.C. Joyner, the Football Scientist, is on record as saying Clausen's skill set and decision making offer an even better fit for Mike Shanahan's offense than Jay Cutler. Lombardi's opinion is noteworthy, too, because he worked under Shanahan in Denver. Lombardi expects Shanahan to go with Clausen even if both he and Russell Okung are available.

Err this report is just pure speculation ... is there any point posting rotoworld news here anymore ...seaweed a more reliable source for divining the future ...

REALLY.

He's just the QB what do u want the man to do. I didn't say the kid was perfect. Obviously he's not perfect. Neither is any QB in the league. Have u seen the kid play. All the arguments u use against him has nothing to do with his actually play. 28 TDs and 4 ints in 2009. His offense was pretty good.

All I'm sayn is I think he has the tools to be a great QB. Call me crazy but there are many scouts who agree with me. Under Shanahan especially this kid can be great

I dont see any QB besides Bradford bring a "Franchise " QB...Period...Clausen had losing seasons every year in college What makes everyone say he is a franchise Qb? Wow ND fans got to get real and think...You build the line first then get a QB behind it...OKUNG at #4!!!!!

If we were going to hire Notre Dame's defensive coordinator I would agree with this. However, Clausen progressed as a Qb throughout his college career to the point where that offense was outstanding last year. What Notre Dame haters have do is get real and think....the QB doesn't play defense!

If we were going to hire Notre Dame's defensive coordinator I would agree with this. However, Clausen progressed as a Qb throughout his college career to the point where that offense was outstanding last year. What Notre Dame haters have do is get real and think....the QB doesn't play defense!

Yeah honestly I'm tired of the not winning stupidity.

The QB can only do so much. Clausen played at a very high level. That is all u can ask ur QB to do. If the defense don't do their job, how can it be played on Jimmy?

The haters need to come with something new cause this arguement is ridiculous. There is no way you can say you have watched ND this past season and even try to blame him for ANY of their 6 loses. For the ND or Clausen haters, tell me ONE REASON how Jimmy caused them to lose 1 od those games.

Nothing

So is it Bradford or Claussen if BOTH are there at 4?....Let's say BLC is right and Shanny likes Claussen above all other QB's in the draft...what will be the backlash if Shanny takes Jimmy C...over Bradford if both of them are there at 4? I bet the answer is "well I trust the front office"...ok then we shouldn't have any "What is the FO thinking" threads if they go Oline right?

Note however, that the rotoworld article doesn't say that Shanny likes Claussen, it says:

"Michael Lombardi of the NFL Network believes the Redskins will target quarterback Jimmy Clausen (Notre Dame) with the fourth overall pick in the 2010 draft. "

Of course this rotoworld article: http://www.rototimes.com/nfl/player.php?tqid=8833&type=news&nid=74523

also points out:

Our View: Clausen is intelligent, and the Redskins are apparently not convinced that Jason Campbell could emerge as an efective director of their offense. Campbell held an unimpressive 86.4 efficiency rating in 2009.

That "unimpressive" 86.4 rating was sufficient enough to place him 15th out of the 32 starting QB's in the NFL, but who's keeping score.

NFL.com QB Stats

(They also used the word intelligent and misspelled the word effective in the same sentence, so that should tell you something).

Here's the link for the other rotoworld blurb that BLC posted earlier:

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/playerbreakingnews.asp?sport=NFL&id=5574&line=169827&spln=1

"NFL Network's Mike Lombardi predicts that the Redskins will draft Notre Dame QB Jimmy Clausen with the No. 4 overall pick.

It's also worth noting that K.C. Joyner, the Football Scientist, is on record as saying Clausen's skill set and decision making offer an even better fit for Mike Shanahan's offense than Jay Cutler. Lombardi's opinion is noteworthy, too, because he worked under Shanahan in Denver. Lombardi expects Shanahan to go with Clausen even if both he and Russell Okung are available."

that wasnt my opinion, it was just posted on rotoworld. i have no clue how shanny feels about either QB.

I'm not against taking Clausen at #4, any more than I am against taking Bradford, or OL. I'm happy with either one, if that's what our FO wants.

Now, if we take defense at #4...........I might have to stop coming here for a couple months until I can cool down. If Suh is there at #4, then trade out if possible, if not, go with the offensive player that's there because there's no way Okung and both QBs are gone.

I'd be happy with Clausen, and if he's good, I guess I might have to go get a new jersey.

I'm not really a Clausen cheerleader, but he did have a pretty great season last year, as far as what he could control went. 4 Ints in a year is pretty epic. It's obvious he didn't do anything to LOSE the games. Their defense gave up an average of 26 points per game, and the offense scored an average of 30 points per game. Their lowest scoring game was a 20 - 16 win over BC, they were in the 20s 4 times last season (2 of those were wins and 2 loses), the rest of the time they were over 30 points. Not sure how that would be the offenses fault.

I'm just saying, you sound more biased than you do rational. I'm not trying to be a jerk, but you haven't backed up your statement with anything yet.

Oh I've backed up my point of view in other threads. Not sure how EPIC gaudy stats are when your greatest games are against trash defenses. Pick out one game where Clausen lit it up vs. solid defense and actually won. I'll make it easy for you too, you can select any game you want from his entire 3 yrs in college.

john clayton said on sportcenter a bit ago that the browns will probably be interested in clausen if he is there at 7 when they pick or possibly trying to trade up. i wonder what they would offer us...? if they offered to switch picks as well as a 2 and a 3 i would hope we made that deal

Yeah honestly I'm tired of the not winning stupidity.

The QB can only do so much. Clausen played at a very high level. That is all u can ask ur QB to do. If the defense don't do their job, how can it be played on Jimmy?

The haters need to come with something new cause this arguement is ridiculous. There is no way you can say you have watched ND this past season and even try to blame him for ANY of their 6 loses. For the ND or Clausen haters, tell me ONE REASON how Jimmy caused them to lose 1 od those games.

Nothing

DeMarcc007 I know u got something. U bash Clausen so much with no substance why. I know u've seen him play. How did he lose games? If u can't answer that u prove my point. HE DIDN'T PLAY DEFENSE. Football is a TEAM game believe it or not. Clausen did his part, his defense did not.

..... The Browns have an abundance of draft picks in the middle rounds which would become of interest to Bruce Allen and Mike Shanahan.

Could we possible trade out of that #4, maybe even out of the first round this year...pick up Cleveland's #1 next year (maybe rookie salary caps will be in by then?), a 3rd and 4th this year?

Oh Please, Oh Please! :fingersx:

...plus they have Josh Cribbs who wouldn't mind being traded.

Shanahan traded up for and drafted Jay Cutler, who lost far more games at Vanderbilt than Clausen at ND. Keep that in the back of your mind.

Thank you for bringing this up.

With all due respect, Vanderbilt is at the bottom of the barrel of the toughest conference in college football. Jay Cutler put up the second most points EVER in Ben Hill Griffin stadium vs. Gators with 42 losing by 7. Jay Cutler went into Knoxville, Tenn and won on the road.

Reflecting on Cutler's college career, former Denver Broncos safety John Lynch said, "If this guy can take a bunch of future doctors and lawyers and have them competing against the Florida Gators, this guy is a stud."

This is the kinda stuff I want to see from Clausen. Glimpses of greatness against tough competition. Overcoming adversity and excuses and just getting it done. That's what you want from a #4 pick.

DeMarcc007 I know u got something. U bash Clausen so much with no substance why. I know u've seen him play. How did he lose games? If u can't answer that u prove my point. HE DIDN'T PLAY DEFENSE. Football is a TEAM game believe it or not. Clausen did his part, his defense did not.

I'm not bashing Clausen, I don't get the hype with no proof in the pudding. It takes more than big stats over scrubs to give me a warm fuzzy. I don't see why this is hard to see and you keep ignoring that fact like it doesn't matter. David Klinger, Andre Ware, and Colt Brennan all put up silly numbers too.

Archived