Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Browns trade Quinn...interested in trading up to #4 for Claussen?

hunterx

Now I understand this. I don't think his personality is that big of an issue but I understand the concern. The pictures in college are ridiculous. You really can't live that down. I think ND humbled and matured him in a hurry. This is a kid who went UNDEFEATED in high school. He went to a program where he had to play at his best every week to have a chance at winning.

I think he is very competive and he wants to win. Something he didnt do alot of at ND, but everytime I watch him play I can see his leadership on that field. I think guys can and will response good to him.

I agree with you in the aspect that leadership can be commanded out of greatness. When Tom Brady came into the league i remember people saying he can't be a leader in the NFL because the way he carried himself in Michigan. Now unfortunately I don't remember all the details on it and maybe if there's someone here with Big Blue ties they can shed some light on it but I remember when he was coming out the knock was whether his arm was good enough and if he was mature and able to lead grown men in the pro game.

I happen to think leaders can demand respect based off performance alone. It's not always that a leader has to be born to be great but instead actions can carry weight also. So if Claussen steps in and has success I think all this hoopla about his ego and prima donna act may go by the wayside.

Although I'm an Irishman I cannot say I watched the Irish play with regularity in college. I saw probably 30% of Claussen's games but when I did see him play I always thought he looked the part of an NFL qb. I can understand debating Wins/Losses in college but then if that's the argument we should shift gears and everyone should lobby for Tebow who might go down as the most successful college qb in history.

I don't think anyone here is serious about tebow so put argument aside.

My question on Claussen is simple. If we draft him are we getting a franchise qb who will lead us back to greatness or are we getting a ****y kid who will fold under the pressure of the NFL lights? If Shanny and Allen believe in him enough to spend the $ and the pick on Claussen then I guess we have to start getting used to the idea of Claussen as our future qb.

For all those Irish fans who saw him play regularly would you say the concerns about him being a prima donna and lacking leadership are true, are they founded or is that blown out of proportion?

How is wanting your QB to show flashes of performing against top competition ludacris? You are spending a #4 pick on this guy, if it's wrong kiss 5 years goodbye. You know you are gambling because you can't tell me you've seen anything from this guy against legit competition.The NFL is full of studs you know. The same way we are going back and forth, scouts are back and forth as well. That's who you want to gamble on fine but his resume would look 1,000,000x better with big victories OR great performances vs. ranked opponents. Why is this so hard to understand.

Every QB you keep referencing puts Clausen to shame in on the field accomplishments. Stafford beat Florida, Auburn, and G. Tech in his sophomore season. First time since 1982 UGA ever did that. He was 3-0 in bowl games. 6-3 in rivalry games (Florida, Auburn, G. Tech). He peformed against all competition not just the creampuffs. Anyone else you want to try, it's too easy.

I got u. Clausen never beat a ranked team. EVER. I get that, 0-10 to be exact.

Lets discount his freshman team cause that team was TERRIBLE.

In 2008 and 2009 he was 0-5. His team was very competitive in all those games except that USC team with a All-Time great defense. In the other 4 games his team lost by an avg of 4 pts. Even this past season, there isn't one performance when u can say he played bad. He can only do so much. I understand your pt, I just don't think u can blame JC for all those loses.

So did Chris Leak, and he won a National Championship at Florida. Just saying...

No doubt. I'm not sayn it's a huge accomplishment or anything. If you want to be an NFL QB u better dominate in HS. I was just sayn that to prove my point of the maturing proccess he had to go through at ND especailly the 1st year when he got crushed. He had to grow up in a hurry. He could have went to any college he wanted to but he chose the situation that would test him the most.

And it did

Random thought, sort of off topic........

assuming we get Claussen at 4, am I the only one who finds it distrurbing that his initials JC would be replacing the terrible JC?

coincidence, purely, I hope........

whatever happens in april please I hope Campbell's gone and we have a new qb, but hopefully there's no jinx with the initials.

assuming we get Claussen at 4, am I the only one who finds it distrurbing that his initials JC would be replacing the terrible JC?

whatever happens in april please I hope Campbell's gone and we have a new qb, but hopefully there's no jinx with the initials.

The NEW and IMPROVED JC ;)

No doubt. I'm not sayn it's a huge accomplishment or anything. If you want to be an NFL QB u better dominate in HS. I was just sayn that to prove my point of the maturing proccess he had to go through at ND especailly the 1st year when he got crushed. He had to grow up in a hurry. He could have went to any college he wanted to but he chose the situation that would test him the most.

And it did

going to ND and playing in that system gave him the best chance to be pro ready. I remember reading about Claussen's recruting hype and everything Pete Carroll did at USC to lure him there. I recall Claussen having an open invite almost everywhere. Sure he probably could have gone somewhere and became a "system" qb to put up 5000 plus yards and crazy stats but he chose the Irish because of the "tradition"....but I actually have my copy of ESPN Magazine still from back then and it says off record right in print that he wanted to go there to become "pro ready".

That was the term he kept using over and over. Pro Ready. The Irish groomed to understand the NFL offense. I believe Claussen has that.

I don't see how anyone can debate claussen's talent. My only concern is if he has the maturity to handle the NFL. If the Claussen family is similar to the Manning family then most likely he does have the maturation and won't be a prima donna but if it's different then that's my only concern in taking him.

Talent he has. Does he have the right attitidue and maturity for the 4th pick is in my mind the only real question.

I got u. Clausen never beat a ranked team. EVER. I get that, 0-10 to be exact.

Lets discount his freshman team cause that team was TERRIBLE.

In 2008 and 2009 he was 0-5. His team was very competitive in all those games except that USC team with a All-Time great defense. In the other 4 games his team lost by an avg of 4 pts. Even this past season, there isn't one performance when u can say he played bad. He can only do so much. I understand your pt, I just don't think u can blame JC for all those loses.

Wow, see I didn't even know he was 0-10 vs. ranked teams. My oh my. See that scares the beejezus out of me. I'm tired of my favorite team losing and this is our potential franchise QB and all we have to go on is physical tools. If Shanny thinks he's the man I hope it works out is all I can say. I do think Clausen is better than Brian Griese and Jake Plummer so at worst he shouldn't be a total flop.

Wow, see I didn't even know he was 0-10 vs. ranked teams. My oh my. See that scares the beejezus out of me. I'm tired of my favorite team losing and this is our potential franchise QB and all we have to go on is physical tools. If Shanny thinks he's the man I hope it works out is all I can say. I do think Clausen is better than Brian Griese and Jake Plummer so at worst he shouldn't be a total flop.

Yeah I know that 0-10 sounds terrible. He couldn't just get 1? Came close in most of those this past season, but something bad always happened at the end. (While ND was on Defense :silly: Just sayn)

But with Clausens tools, I think Shanahan can make him a Star. Shanahan has done more with less at QB. I think Clausen is more talent than Griese and Plummer combined. No knock on them cause they were solid but I just think Clausen will be way better than both

sorry to ruin your hopes but campbell's staying lol. we tendered him so he'll be here next year for you ta root for him!

I'd gladly trade down to #7. I'm not entirely sold on any QB in the draft and believe we can get better value at OT a few picks later than our #4. I'd offer the #4 (and another opportunity for a franchise QB) to Cleveland for their #7 and D'Qwell Jackson (currently unhappy with his contract). Then, we draft Bulaga if he's there (Bruce Campbell should be there but I dunno how much of a project he's expected to be). Cleveland was projected to draft Haden. Maybe we can expand the deal to include Rogers and acquire additional picks.

im really startin to like the idea of clausen quarterbacking this team

well go ahead and stop day dreaming. Clausen is a bad idea. He played against cream puff teams. He had better players (offensivly) then tha majority of tha teams that he played and Weis was way ahead of all of the other coachs in terms of offensive coaching scheme. I'm not saying that he can't be good either, but using our 4th on him is way to risky for someone who isn't proven against higher competition.

against ranked teams this year clausen has 8 TDs and 1 pick in 3 games with a near 70% completion rate.

against ranked teams this year the notre dame defense gave up 34, 27 and 45 points.

Also, a QB only getting a 1st round tender means the FO doesn't have a great deal of confidence in him.

Notice that McDaniels traded for Quinn after only giving a 1st to Orton.

I'm not saying that he can't be good either, but using our 4th on him is way to risky for someone who isn't proven against higher competition.

This argument is false as well.

I'm not sure if u want Bradford or not but Clausen played against better defenses than Bradford. That is a fact. The big 12 defense were terrible. why do u think Chase Daniel and Graham Garrel also put up carazy #s.

Based on the opponent defensive rankings, Clausen faced the tougher "ranked" opponents, defensively throughout his

tenure with Notre Dame. Clausen faced a top-25 rated defense six times vs. ranked opponents. Bradford faced only

three (3) top-25 defenses while with Oklahoma. In addition to overall defensive rankings, Clausen's opponents were

ranked higher in pass-defense, with an average ranking of: 45 and no opponent with a ranking over 88. Bradford faced

pass-defenses averaging a ranking of 79, with four opponents having a pass-defense ranking over 100

http://www.drafthuddle.com/Archivedarticles/quarterbackdebate-bradfordvsclausen.html

That's actually a pretty big difference. So the people who say Clausen hasn't played anyone or scrub teams are lieing. He faced way tougher defenses than Bradford.

A very sick part of me wants all you Clausen lovers to get your wish and see what happens when you don't have Purdue, Mich St., Washington St., Washington throw against every week.

You will eventually come to love him. This is just a phase you're going through.

Ok, tell me something I dont know. Also, that same schedule has ranked teams as well. I find it highly suspect that a highly ranked QB prospect doesn't have any of those ranked games on his highlight film.

By your argument we should draft Tebow. Played in a great conference. Won most of his games. Apparently playing in a pro style offense and with decent mechanics means nothing.

I'm not sure if u want Bradford or not but Clausen played against better defenses than Bradford. That is a fact. The big 12 defense were terrible. why do u think Chase Daniel and Graham Garrel also put up carazy #s.

Based on the opponent defensive rankings, Clausen faced the tougher "ranked" opponents, defensively throughout his

tenure with Notre Dame. Clausen faced a top-25 rated defense six times vs. ranked opponents. Bradford faced only

three (3) top-25 defenses while with Oklahoma. In addition to overall defensive rankings, Clausen's opponents were

ranked higher in pass-defense, with an average ranking of: 45 and no opponent with a ranking over 88. Bradford faced

pass-defenses averaging a ranking of 79, with four opponents having a pass-defense ranking over 100

http://www.drafthuddle.com/Archivedarticles/quarterbackdebate-bradfordvsclausen.html

That's actually a pretty big difference. So the people who say Clausen hasn't played anyone or scrub teams are lieing. He faced way tougher defenses than Bradford.

This is thread worthy, you should create a new one. It's a great comparison between two of the premiere QBs of the draft.

see here is where you are wrong. go back and look at that website. he only face 3 teams with a top 25 PASS deffense his whole career. howd he do? well just looking at tha score he scored a combined 6 points in 3 games. I'd say he did reall wel in tha tougher games!

i want Balaga myself,most of the things i have read say that Balaga is more ready at this moment than Okeung to step right in a play lt.The only thing going against Balaga is his arm length and even that isn't because it's too short.it meets the required length and beats it by a 1/4 of an inch.and because of that people want to put Okueng first.I want a temperment on this oline that we haven't had sense Grimm was blockin on it.A attitude of take no prisoners can't be underestimated.

Thank you for bringing this up.

With all due respect, Vanderbilt is at the bottom of the barrel of the toughest conference in college football. Jay Cutler put up the second most points EVER in Ben Hill Griffin stadium vs. Gators with 42 losing by 7. Jay Cutler went into Knoxville, Tenn and won on the road.

Reflecting on Cutler's college career, former Denver Broncos safety John Lynch said, "If this guy can take a bunch of future doctors and lawyers and have them competing against the Florida Gators, this guy is a stud."

This is the kinda stuff I want to see from Clausen. Glimpses of greatness against tough competition. Overcoming adversity and excuses and just getting it done. That's what you want from a #4 pick.

This is a great post and I agree 100% it is easy to win with superior talent (Jason Campbell, OU QBs the list goes on and on), but winning SEC Offensive player of the year from the bottom-tier team in the league is quite impressive.

Archived