Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

South Park Season 14

ixcuincle

Comedy Central bleeped them and ALSO they pulled the midnight rerun

Yeah I noticed they pulled the midnight showing. I think its all part of the joke as well.

I think Comedy Central would make a statement if they pulled the show because of criticism, or if they censored it. But we have heard nothing from CC.

I cannot for the life of me find a credible source one way or another that will tell me exactly who was/is responsible for the censorship in these episodes and the past cartoon wars episodes. I just read a blog that claims in the cartoon wars episode Viacom was the one who censored Mohamed and it wasn't supposed to be cut out of the episode. Same here, I'm getting conflicting reports about last night's episode, was the censorship part of the episode to begin with or did Viacom really pull a gigantic pusillanimous move here?

does anyone know one way or another?

edit: part of me thinks this is all one big joke by Matt and Trey, mostly because of the censored bar that appeared over Cruise in the episode... still, I'm pretty disappointed in the delivery and plot of the episode. The commentary is spot on, but I think a big middle finger to Islam by destroying Mohamed on screen would have been a lot more satisfying.

I cannot for the life of me find a credible source one way or another that will tell me exactly who was/is responsible for the censorship in these episodes and the past cartoon wars episodes. I just read a blog that claims in the cartoon wars episode Viacom was the one who censored Mohamed and it wasn't supposed to be cut out of the episode. Same here, I'm getting conflicting reports about last night's episode, was the censorship part of the episode to begin with or did Viacom really pull a gigantic pusillanimous move here?

The BBC are reporting that Comedy Central were behind the censorship. It's the wrong side of the Atlantic to be too reliable a source but it references a similar incident of censorship in 2006.

It was always on the cards though, nobody is allowed to make fun of Muslims and their "religion of peace".

I cant find anything either that definitively sas CC/Viacom censored the episode. I think thats what they want everyone to believe. Its all one big joke and somewhere Parker and Stone are laughing their asses off. Haha.

From the yahoo article:

It was not immediately clear if the move was a bid to tread carefully following the warning against the "South Park" creators, or if they were poking fun at the fuss.

Nevermind. Apparently it was censored by CC. I would link to the story about it but I'm afraid I'll be bombed!

:silly:

Just google comedy central

Also, it could be that Parker and stone knew this would happen and that was the whole point.

I agree with this.

I felt the whole point of the episode was to show how we can show Buddah doing crack and Jesus Christ himself using his OWN name in vain :ols:, yet they cannot even SAY the name Mohammad. As a Muslim, when they bleeped out the name, I was PISSED. It was pathetic to go that far, and when the censor bar appeared on Tom Cruise, I assumed that ALL the censoring was in fact a joke and a plot device, since Kyle/Stan made fun of him for having Seaman on his back, and the bar went away. It was a brilliant attempt at showing how absurd the whole Mohammad's image thing is, and sadly, if it is true that Comedy Central did give into the fear, then bleh...

^ also think about how many times they used his name (which was bleeped) early in the episode. I think this was just to drive the point home. The only sites that I've found reporting that CC censored it are blog sites, not actual news media. We'll see.

^ also think about how many times they used his name (which was bleeped) early in the episode. I think this was just to drive the point home. The only sites that I've found reporting that CC censored it are blog sites, not actual news media. We'll see.

Yea, you're right. A big part of me feels that the whole shpeal is one big giant satire at actions and reactions, using Mohammad (which they are right, Mohammad is the ONE thing in the world no one makes fun of or shows) as the plot. The bleeping of the "moral of the story" also points that way. Props to Matt and Trey if this is the case, because this would be brilliant.

Comedy Central bleeped them and ALSO they pulled the midnight rerun

Oh then thank God I got DVR at the beginning of the month. My work shift ends at 10 on Wednesday nights, and if I had missed this completely I would have been pissed.:mad:

As far as censoring in the episode goes, I can't tell whose fault it was, or if it was a combination (I think Matt and Trey censored the last few monologues, or made them have to be censored, once they figured CC would go all sissy on them yet again) in the original, but the decision not to re-air it is all CC/Viacom. Matt and Trey would have no say in that situation.

In the 14 years we’ve been doing South Park we have never done a show that we couldn’t stand behind. We delivered our version of the show to Comedy Central and they made a determination to alter the episode. It wasn’t some meta-joke on our part. Comedy Central added the bleeps. In fact, Kyle’s customary final speech was about intimidation and fear. It didn’t mention Muhammad at all but it got bleeped too. We’ll be back next week with a whole new show about something completely different and we’ll see what happens to it.

ACW, do you have a link? This could be the end of South Park if true. Matt & Trey have always said we will keep going until there is something we cannot make fun of, and now they might not sign a new contract with Comedy Central.

(screenshot picture)

ok, now I'm starting to doubt that this is a publicity stunt...

luckily I have season 3 on DVD, if I have to I'll post that **** online, the terrorists will not win here, I won't let it happen

EDIT: and I just realized the Super Best Friends is episode three of season 5 :doh:

Archived