Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Allen's First Task: Humbling the Redskins

Rhodus333

With Betts gone(wish that hadnt happened), it really makes no sense to cut Portis until we have someone else.

While I would have preferred to keep Betts and cut Portis, with Betts gone, we can at least be comfortable that Portis can be an average back.

Betts can't stay healthy. Why would we want to even have an average back; to help us win in the playoffs?

Barring some crazyness the rest of the offseason, I hope people are willing to be further humbled next season.

There simply isn't enough talent, nor will there be enough talent in September, to realistically expect anything more then 6-10

I really hope we can do better than 6-10!

Keeping Portis is unpopular but a good call. My thought is he comes in in great shape and much quicker because management will give him no other choice. Clinton will have excellent production. Management sent a strong message to everyone by who they signed and cut. I think we might finally get the Portis we thought was coming when we traded for him. Plus we will draft and sign a free agent to push him from the other side.

Yes, I am totally loving this. I love the fact that Allen and Shanny essentially came in and made the statement: "Look, nobody is safe. We are going to now hold you accountable for your performance and you aren't going to get to coast with us." I LOVE that. I've never coached football or managed a team, but this is my attitude in any other sport I've coached.

I'm sick of players getting huge checks then underperforming and not being held accountable for that crap. It's ridiculous. So yeah, to say I'm happy about what's going on at Redskins Park would be an understatement.

If you are going to cut a guy to send a message, you cut a guy who does not fit into your plans. You cannot cut a guy out of hand that you told specifically what he needs to do to do to stay (and CP was told it was physical requirements) on the team until at least the first mini-camp when you can say he's not doing what he needs to do.

i am glad they didn't go nuts this offseason.i admit that i have wanted Peppers from his days Nc to be in a Skins uniform but i realize that his age and all the other holes we have didn't make it a proper thing.it would have been a want not soo much a need.2011 is the year the Skins can really take a big step forward.We will be in our second year of sound drafting a yes a very big and deeply rich fa pool with which to choose some if naot the rest of our missing pieces.and with Shanahan as our coach and the improved front office of Allens changing our spend happy but no real results rep to a real team plus our willingsness to put out the cash may improve our chances even more to get the diamonds we want.but this first year as far as winning is concerned shall be painful but the right thing to do.kind of like the country as a whole.we need to tighten up fiscally and go through some pain to get the ship striaghtened up.too bad this wasn't done back in 2004 to 2005.but better late than never as they say.we could be the raiders you know.

Well, Great Falls, that was the best opinion on this whole situation I've read in like forever.

Good job, mate.

Haha i guess I'm great falls right? Thanks. It's just good to finally be able to sit back and trust that the Front Office has a multi year plan and isn't just scrambling to stay one move ahead of total disaster.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Even the appearance of Bruce Allen conveys a type of professionalism and confidence that I never, ever saw from the Sarge.

Really ... this??

PHO-08Feb09-196683.jpg

Or ... this ... :doh:

vinny-cerrato-012308.jpg

Except for JC. He said despite our record he put up some good numbers. :doh:

He did. Some career bests for him. This despite the fact that he was getting pummeled every week. Then again, people here expect the QB to do more even tho he had no OL and running game to work with.

In any case, it was humbling enough last offseason when rumors were swirling around.

I'll start handing out thank you's when we win 10 games

I honestly think people will be suprised at how much better the Redskins will look this season. While we'll still have holes to fill, they are approaching the problems realistically and not sugar coating them. It's going to be an issue of waiting for talent on our current roster to develop, as opposed to betting the farm on 1 or 2 mega stars being dropped in here and having their best season ever. There's plenty of great players on teams that go nowhere. 53 decent players will beat 5 great ones any day.

Plus you're forgetting one huge component. With a coaching staff that actually has experience coaching, our current players will be more motivated and better utilized on gameday. Our clock management will be better, and I think alot more of those close losses from last season will turn into wins.

Plus by not signing huge names that come in with a guranteed starting spot on the roster, you have more playing time to give out to our in house young guys, which breeds both better performances through competition, as well as better team cohesion and much less of a drop off between starters and their backups.

Yeah, the Iron Sheik...that would be something else.:psyche:

Perhaps you aren't aware of the methods that the Sheik uses for making people humble. I'd wager we'd have a new attitude at Redskins Park after Carlos was made to do this :moon: and then Sheik came up behind him and did this :hump:

Yes, I am totally loving this. I love the fact that Allen and Shanny essentially came in and made the statement: "Look, nobody is safe. We are going to now hold you accountable for your performance and you aren't going to get to coast with us." I LOVE that. I've never coached football or managed a team, but this is my attitude in any other sport I've coached.

I'm sick of players getting huge checks then underperforming and not being held accountable for that crap. It's ridiculous. So yeah, to say I'm happy about what's going on at Redskins Park would be an understatement.

When did they make this statement? By cutting Ladell Betts or JD Skolnitzky?

We still have our high priced guys. Don't get too excited just yet.

Keeping Portis will be critical.

He's back in his ideal system, and hopefully we'll draft a Hardesty to give us a younger Portis, or McCluster to give us that home run threat.

If we sign Willie Parker, whichwould be a great move, than drafting Hardesty would be fantastic.

When did they make this statement? By cutting Ladell Betts or JD Skolnitzky?

We still have our high priced guys. Don't get too excited just yet.

What high priced guys do we have on our team that don't deserve a roster spot?

We cut all the losers. We're keeping all the performers and potentials. Smartest thing we've done in years.

];7350066']

What high priced guys do we have on our team that don't deserve a roster spot?

We cut all the losers. We're keeping all the performers and potentials. Smartest thing we've done in years.

I agree that we cut the scrubs, along with every other team in the league. That's nothing special yet.

I like where we're headed, I just don't see it as anything to get TOO excited about just yet....although hell, we've been stuck with Vinny so long I guess doing the standard stuff is a victory in itself.

Archived