Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per Schefter Twitter: Boldin to Baltimore

kevincollateral

Boldin and a 5th for Ravens 3rd and 4th round picks. Wow what a steal, now i know that majority thinks that we're set at the WR position and i kinda agree with you guys but the two youngsters though got mad potentials are still unproven, and Santana is 30. I mean wouldn't it have been a steal for us for the number of picks that baltimore gave up?

Edit: oh and by the way 2 years ago we were willing to give up 2 first rounders for this guy , but Arizona turned it down, but a 3rd a 4th? a no brainer

Yeah, it would have stole any potential of this being a sucessful season :)

(join the coversation in ATN :) )

ight sorry guys i was out all night last night and woke around noon and found out about this, the fact that i brought up our receivers thought i could fit it in in this forum somehow. :(

You can sleep all you want just don't forget to use that search feature. :)

I wouldn't say that exactly. Like mentioned earlier, they play in the NFC West. Which team is gonna step up and challenge them? Seattle? Rebuilding. Rams? Puh-Lease. San Fran? Slim chance. If Leinart can play somewhat decently, don't see why they don't at least win the title.

San Francisco dominated Arizona this past year. Beat them twice and almost swept the west. If you don't think that the 49ers are now the favorites in the NFC West I don't know what to tell you. The Cardinals lose Warner who was a huge part of their success, a great linebacker in Dansby, Berry, a good safety in Rolle, and Boldin. The 49ers have 2 first round picks and last year lost 6 of their 8 games by less than a touchdown, something that as the team gets older will change. I just can't see Arizona keeping afloat with Leinart at the helm and an older depleted defense. The 49ers were a hail mary from Favre and a dropped touchdown by Davis in Seattle from winning the division.

To back up what I was saying earlier:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d816d7c80&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

"One of the main reasons we really explored that area was because of the ascension of younger players, like Steve Breaston and Early Doucet," Cardinals general manager Rod Graves said. "We really felt like those young guys stepped up and that there is still a lot more potential there. Even so, we weren't just going to give (Boldin) away in a trade. It had to be something acceptable."

A year ago, "something acceptable" was a first-round pick. Arizona was offered a second-rounder in the draft and it told anyone offering that wasn't enough. The Cardinals had just come off a Super Bowl appearance and they didn't want to part with one of their best players. Boldin seethed and publicly complained, which just made things worse for him because the annoyed Cardinals became even more girded to drive a hard bargain.

Fast forward to late last week: Baltimore offered up a third- and fourth-round draft pick for Boldin and the deal was done. Boldin's seven-year career in Arizona was over. Both sides are happy -- sort of. In the aftermath of arguably the biggest player move since free agency started on March 5, let's examine the Boldin trade from information provided by those who drove the trade: Graves and Boldin's agent, Tom Condon.

Exactly Longshot,

Anyone who watched the Cards late last season could see that Early Doucet basically made Boldin expendable. Goes to show that sometimes developing your own WR's cough*MarkoMitchell*cough pays off in the long run...

That Lloyd was young, had a lot of upside and could be good for many years. Unfortunately, it didn't work out, and Lloyd himself had a lot to do with that.

The value which Baltimore had gotten Boldin goes to speak to how much his value has dropped. A couple years ago, a 1st round pick wouldn't have been enough to dislodge him. It's a good move on Baltimore's part, because when he's healthy he'll still be a good receiver for him, but you do have to question how much he has left.

I think his health problems are being overstated. He played in 15 games last year and had over 1000 yards for the 5th time in his 7 year career. Ironically, the time period that you state his value was higher was a two year period where he only played 12 games each season.

He's no ironman, but he's not brittle either.

Wow and Mason just resigned. Baltimore is going to be very tough this year. They've had some great drafts and moves in the past three years.

Yeah, now they can try to get younger in the front seven or pick up value in the secondary or at tight end in the 1st and 2nd round. They'll be one of the few teams that doesn't have any holes to fill with draft picks.

Lets see if B-more goes after Gresham now, I figured a while ago they'd look his way.

They'd have a pretty nice set of skill guys, that's for sure.

If there's a willing partner, they'd be best served to trade out of the first and grab more picks. If they can turn their two picks in the first two rounds into four picks in the first three rounds, they'd be able to draft BPA at tight end, corner, safety, and DT/DE/LB with all of them. Gresham is good, but I'm not sure, from a value standpoint, that he's much better than what will be available at the bottom of round 2/top of round 3.

Archived