Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NESN: Report: New York Giants Could Offer Julius Peppers $100 Million

kiingspadee

You want to play him twice a year? Some people on this site....

Pfft, I'm honestly not too worried about him. Dude is a good player, but he's prime to start declining and it looks like the Giants are getting a little desperate without that dominate defensive line they had in recent memory.

Very few players change games on their own, and I don't believe Peppers did by himself. I'd take Haynesworth over Peppers any day and twice on Sundays.

Any of you who would be happy to have him NY I need to ask you - do you think he's fallen off THAT MUCH? When I saw him play this year he seemed still beastly

yeah something about the way he moves... i dont think hes the kind of guy thats going to lose a step anytime soon. similarto london fletcher. people have probably been saying he was going to lose a step for the last 5 years, and the man is still running stride for stride with westbrook. something about basketball players..

yeah something about the way he moves... i dont think hes the kind of guy thats going to lose a step anytime soon. similarto london fletcher. people have probably been saying he was going to lose a step for the last 5 years, and the man is still running stride for stride with westbrook. something about basketball players..

Understanding angles.

I was a basketball player converted to football. It helped.

Giant's have a self imposed cap that won't allow them to do a 100 mil contract. Plus ownership is reportedly pissed that spending last year didn't result in more wins & are more focused on building through the draft.

Just would like to say this: when rumors say that we are "interested" in players like Peppers, that doesn't mean that we are in the bidding for a mega-contract. They are just doing their jobs. Not even inquiring about the asking price for a player of Peppers' caliber would be negligent.

Andddddd TK comes in with the ownage.

I really don't want Peppers in the NFC East, especially the Giants, with that D-line already there. I think I want that more than Peppers in DC. This article sets more of a price on him than it does anything else I feel, now people think he's worth that much to at least one team, even if it's not true.

Giant's have a self imposed cap that won't allow them to do a 100 mil contract. Plus ownership is reportedly pissed that spending last year didn't result in more wins & are more focused on building through the draft.

Hmm interesting. In that case, maybe the story has merit, but it's only because they're just trying to force the Skins to blow more cash on Peppers?

As much as Haslett is enamored by Peppers, I truly believe that Peppers won't come here. If NYG will $100M, then WE would have to pay more. And who would want TWO AGING $100M players on one team?!

Uh Haynesworth is only 27. But if you mean aging in the strictest sense, then yeah i mean every player is "aging".

Andddddd TK comes in with the ownage.

I really don't want Peppers in the NFC East, especially the Giants, with that D-line already there. I think I want that more than Peppers in DC. This article sets more of a price on him than it does anything else I feel, now people think he's worth that much to at least one team, even if it's not true.

Just wondering where the ownage was?

Why would the giants spend that much on him? Isn't their team chocked full of pass rushers already? Do they really need a 100 million dollar one too?

PS. Thanks for the insight TK. Seems like a lot of teams of self-imposed caps. Are there any teams other than us that don't have a self-imposed cap?

Just wondering where the ownage was?

Try this then. :)

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/2010/03/04/2010-03-04_giants_may_hold_the_peppers.html

New York Giants need free-agent LBs but may not spend big bucks

BY RALPH VACCHIANO

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Thursday, March 4th 2010, 4:00 AM

The Giants are preaching fiscal sanity again, just like they did last year on the eve of free agency - before they tried to dump $80 million in Albert Haynesworth's lap.

So, with the market set to open at midnight tonight, do they have another surprise in store? Publicly they haven't ruled anything out - including a run at top free agents such as linebacker Karlos Dansby and defensive end Julius Peppers. But privately, team sources say: Don't count on it. Not in this watered-down free agent market. "We'll spend where we have to spend," Giants GM Jerry Reese said. "I still believe you do what you do to fill the spots in your roster you need to fill. We have a budget. We'll try to stick to our budget. But if we have to spend on a guy, we'll do that."

Clearly, coming off a disappointing 8-8 season, the Giants have holes to fill. And despite spending $84 million in contracts on defensive players last offseason, the Giants will likely concentrate on defense again. They could use a middle linebacker after releasing Antonio Pierce, and there has been lots of speculation that they'll be in the mix for some defensive ends after their once-vaunted pass rush collapsed last year.

The problem, however, is that "this is not an attractive free-agent class at all," one NFL executive said Wednesday. "Teams are going to be forced to overpay for the wrong players because they're desperate."

And the Giants aren't desperate, despite the way the season ended last year. Co-owner John Mara said, "We have a good nucleus here," and he sees no need to overspend even though the NFL will be in the first year without a salary cap.

That's exactly what the Giants would have to do to land some of the top free agents. Dansby is reportedly seeking a deal with $30million in guaranteed money. Peppers reportedly turned down a contract worth $14 million per year from Carolina. Even players on the next level, such as linebacker Gary Brackett or defensive end Aaron Kampman could nab big deals thanks to a weak free-agent class. Still, count on the Giants to at least sniff around some of those players, and maybe even take a look at a running back such as Darren Sproles, who could fill the gap Derrick Ward left before last season and boost a sagging rushing attack. If the price is right, they could make one big free-agent score.

They prefer, however, to bargain hunt, according to a source familiar with the team's plans. That's what worked in 2007, when they didn't sign their first free agent - LB Kawika Mitchell - until nearly a month after the free-agent signing period opened. Mitchell then became a key player on the Giants' Super Bowl championship team. "You always see some teams jump out there and make some moves," Reese said. "But with the uncertainty of everything going on (with the labor talks), I think people will be cautious."

That has always been the Giants' preferred style - unless, of course, they're planning another March surprise.

Archived