Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

So Many Similarities Between the Wizards & Skins

method man

Fred Davis = Andray Blatche

Both these guys have all-star potential and have started to show signs of reaching it after getting more playing time after the guys ahead of them were traded/injured.

Gilbert Arenas = Clinton Portis

Both of these guys are primadonnas who have carried their teams to the playoffs in the past, but are not the types of players you would find on a championship team.

Shaun Livingston = Mike Williams

Former high draft picks with a history of injury problems who are busts who are trying to redeem themselves.

Nick Young = Malcolm Kelly

Two recently high picks who have some rare skills (Nick with his explosion and Kelly with his size) but will never amount to anything (Nick lacks BBall IQ and Kelly lacks explosion & both are lazy).

Mike James = Fred Smoot

Both are highly paid guys who don't get much playing time. Plus, both love to talk.

Randy Foye = Jason Campbell

Two guys who were high picks who have not lived up to the potential of those drafted after them (Brandon Roy and the 20 Pro Bowlers drafted or went undrafted after Campbell). Both are average players who some feel still have upside but have career losing records and fans are split on them.

Fabricio Oberto = Phillip Daniels

Two old niche guys (hustle and run defense, respectively) who should be retired.

Earl Boykins = HB Blades

Two dimunitive guys who are okay backups

Mike Miller = Randy Thomas

Two glue guys who are past their primes (which were near all-star level but not enough) who are always hurt and paid a lot and won't be with their teams beyond the season.

Josh Howard = DeAngelo Hall

Two former All-stars who were traded by their teams (the Mavs and the Falcons) because of perceived attitude and off-the-field issues who are looking to redeem themselves in DC.

Javaris Crittenton = Byron Westbrook

Two scrubs whose position on the roster is precarious due to their off-the-field stupidity.

JaVale McGee = Devin Thomas

Both of these guys were high picks with projected high ceilings who came into the league very raw. Both of these guys annoy coaches with shoddy work ethics but have shown flashes of potential.

James Singleton = Reed Doughty

Two cheap solid role players who are fan favorites and inspire their teammates to play better with their own play.

Quinton Ross = Ethan Albright

Two guys who are in the league for exclusively one skill (perimeter D and long snapping) but are the types of guys who would get very low ratings in video games.

Mike Harris = Curtis Gatewood

Both are guys who have been on the cusp of making pro rosters (Harris with the Rockets in the summer league yearly and Gatewood on several practice squads) but just can't seem to make the final cut. Both of these guys might get opportunities this year.

Al Thornton = Andre Carter

Both of these guys are former high picks for their former franchises (Thornton was a lottery pick and Carter was a #4 pick) who were okay with their old teams but did not live up to their potential. They are playing better with their new teams after coming from losing teams in which they may not have been used to their full potential.

Flip Saunders = Mike Shanahan

They are two respected coaches who are viewed in the second tier after the great coaches (Phil and Pop in the NBA and Belichek in the NFL) who got hired by their new teams after sitting a year out after getting fired. Both are also viewed as player's coaches who are offensive geniuses.

Randy Wittman = Jim Haslett

Two guys who are probably at their best as assistants after getting fired as head coaches.

Sam Cassell = Keenan McCardell

Two first-year coaches who were recent players. Both of these guys were unsung heroes who did not get the accolades they deserved over the course of their careers.

Ernie Grunfeld = Bruce Allen

Two guys who are on their third opportunity after coming close to winning championships in their first stints (Grunfeld with the Knicks and Allen with the Raiders). Both guys then were the GMs for perennial playoff teams which could never break through (the Bucks and Bucs).

Hopefully John Wall/Evan Turner = Brian Orakpo :pfft:

I must say:

U did a great job with this. A lot of these comparsions are right on. Thses are my faves

Fred Davis = Andray Blatche

Both these guys have all-star potential and have started to show signs of reaching it after getting more playing time after the guys ahead of them were traded/injured.

Gilbert Arenas = Clinton Portis

Both of these guys are primadonnas who have carried their teams to the playoffs in the past, but are not the types of players you would find on a championship team.

Javaris Crittenton = Byron Westbrook :doh: :doh:

Two scrubs whose position on the roster is precarious due to their off-the-field stupidity.

JaVale McGee = Devin Thomas

Both of these guys were high picks with projected high ceilings who came into the league very raw. Both of these guys annoy coaches with shoddy work ethics but have shown flashes of potential.

As far as Malcolm and Devin, I think both have great work ethics and want to be great players. I think this will be a breakout year for both of them.

Hopefully after this season we can make a thread comparing us to the caps

Wizards irrelevant in this town.

Redskins will always be relevant regardless of record. When the Wizards stink, fans ignore them. When the Redskins stink as seen this year fans still show up and commentate in the chat. I don't think I've heard a peep about the Wizards season this year other than the 2 trades that dealt Jamison and Butler out of town. Absolute irrelevance.

shaun Livingston = Mike Williams

Former high draft picks with a history of injury problems who are busts who are trying to redeem themselves.

first off , this post looks like a huge waste of time... with that said these two stuck out to me the most because they aren t similar at ALL. shaun livingston was not a bust at all, he had a freak injury... Mike williams was a lazy bum.. the wiz will never be good so i could care less.

Wizards irrelevant in this town.

Redskins will always be relevant regardless of record. When the Wizards stink, fans ignore them. When the Redskins stink as seen this year fans still show up and commentate in the chat. I don't think I've heard a peep about the Wizards season this year other than the 2 trades that dealt Jamison and Butler out of town. Absolute irrelevance.

What does this have to do with anything? I also think the fans are actually reenergized to watch this team after the trades. You are seeing a lot more posts on Wizards message boards.

shaun Livingston = Mike Williams

first off , this post looks like a huge waste of time... with that said these two stuck out to me the most because they aren t similar at ALL. shaun livingston was not a bust at all, he had a freak injury... Mike williams was a lazy bum.. the wiz will never be good so i could care less.

As far as Livingston, the only reason he is not called a bust is because of that injury. In season 3, the year in which he got hurt, he was not even averaging 10 points a game despite playing starter's minutes. Furthermore, his PER that season was 13.7, which is considered to be below-average in the league. He sucked the two seasons before that.

Mike was a below-average performer too, but you have to remember that the reason he was out of the league until now was because of that severe back injury of his.

I was just saying there are very little similarities between the Wizards and Skins overall. The Skins are big in this town and the Wizards right now are 3rd in relevance, down there in the sports cellar with the Nats. Lol

Can't talk much about this season because I've ignored the Wizards and most of the NBA this season...but I'll see what you have to say in your first post

I think this is a lot of fun, but you messed up with some assessments seeing as this is just your personal opinion so I'll add mine and change yours a little!

Here's the big one:

Earl Boykins = London Fletcher.

Reliable, undersized BIG TIME, underrated, veterans who have excelled despite their flaws.

Malcolm Kelly's comparison is bad because Kelly has literally been in the league 2 seasons, and actually showed MAJOR improvement last season while comparing him to a guy who's been in the league for a little more then that.

But beyond that, some of these comparisons are just bad because the comparisons don't really exist.

I think this is a lot of fun, but you messed up with some assessments seeing as this is just your personal opinion so I'll add mine and change yours a little!

Here's the big one:

Earl Boykins = London Fletcher.

Reliable, undersized BIG TIME, underrated, veterans who have excelled despite their flaws.

Malcolm Kelly's comparison is bad because Kelly has literally been in the league 2 seasons, and actually showed MAJOR improvement last season while comparing him to a guy who's been in the league for a little more then that.

But beyond that, some of these comparisons are just bad because the comparisons don't really exist.

Boykins absolutey DOES NOT = Fletcher. Yes, both are short, but Boykins is a career backup who may be a marginal NBA player at this point in his career while Fletcher just made a Pro Bowl and some All-Decade teams. Boykins has a ton of flaws, especially the fact that he is a ballhog who pounds the ball for 20 seconds before passing, while Fletcher does not have many in his game.

I don't think Kelly showed MAJOR improvement last season either. 25 catches is nothing to write home about. He also got a third of his receiving yards when the Chargers sat most of their starters for most of the game.

London Fletcher is imo one of the top 20 to top 15 or so all-time at his position.

Earl Boykins is a marginal bench player.

Also, I hope to god Ernie = / = Bruce because Grunfeld is a horrible GM.

Grunfeld is average like Allen. Grunfeld has done some good things like trading for Butler and signing Butler, Haywood, and Blatche to bargain extensions. At the same time, he botched our trade of the #5 pick, the Butler/Haywood trade, and has overpaid role players like Stevenson and Songaila.

Allen is similar in that he has top-tier contract and salary cap skills, but bottom-tier player evaluation skills.

Sorry Meth, I see what you were trying to convey, I just don't think the two are actually comparable. I mean CP = GA. I must have missed the police blodder on CP. Maybe I don't follow the Wizzards close enough, but it's even hard to compare a sport w/ a roster of 11 to a sport where 11 take the field at one time.

While the sports are definitely different, I agreed with all of the analysis provided - especially Portis and Arenas. Maybe not on terms of criminal activity, but in terms of "leadership."

Gil was supposed to be the guy to turn the Wizards around with his return and talent on the court, but got arrested and his attitude had been hurting the Wizards even when he was still playing. With Portis, while he's not the leader, but he's supposed to have the talent to help, not hurt us and his attitude screws tons of things up with us.

Actually, there are few comparisons.

The Wizards have an owner and front office right now that no one expects to be in place by the summer. You can't set a direction until you know who is in charge.

No one is confusing Flip Saunders with Mike Shanahan. In a rebuild the Redskins have a clear advantage here.

The Wizards have traded away any players you would consider top 6 on any other NBA team. They are starting completely over with no core players while the Redskins have some talent to work with. In the NBA the lack of that core is that much more important in a 5 man game. In the NFL it is easier to build a solid foundation without a top 5 player at a given position, no way that happens in the NBA.

In the end result the Wizards also suffer from the perception, oftentimes justified over the past 30 years, that they simply don't consistently spend the money to acquire and retain talent. The signing of Arenas and Jamison and the taking on of luxury tax dollars in 2009 was really a first for that organization.

Without an ownership group willing to spend money and make decisive moves, there will be no rejuvenated team in Washington anytime soon.

Snyder has been willing to spend money on the Redskins and finally it appears it will be spent consistently in the right direction.

I agree when you are talking NBA basketball. So much turns on one player.

Not so much in the NFL.

In the NFL one move for a great player is not going to make you a contender.

Rather you have to make a NUMBER of very good to excellent moves to put a team in position to compete on both sides of the ball.

The Raiders have the best corner in the NFL and finished below .500.

The Texans have the best wide receiver and didn't make the playoffs.

You can go back and look at all the NFL rushing leaders whose teams failed to succeed in the postseason in the years they were most productive statistically.

I think the comparison can be made given that both teams are in rebuilding mode.

I don't think the Redskins will ever be in rebuilding mode.

I don't know where the OP got the idea that Kelly is lazy? I've only heard good things about his work ethic here.

Actually, there are few comparisons.

The Wizards have an owner and front office right now that no one expects to be in place by the summer. You can't set a direction until you know who is in charge.

No one is confusing Flip Saunders with Mike Shanahan. In a rebuild the Redskins have a clear advantage here.

The Wizards have traded away any players you would consider top 6 on any other NBA team. They are starting completely over with no core players while the Redskins have some talent to work with. In the NBA the lack of that core is that much more important in a 5 man game. In the NFL it is easier to build a solid foundation without a top 5 player at a given position, no way that happens in the NBA.

In the end result the Wizards also suffer from the perception, oftentimes justified over the past 30 years, that they simply don't consistently spend the money to acquire and retain talent. The signing of Arenas and Jamison and the taking on of luxury tax dollars in 2009 was really a first for that organization.

Without an ownership group willing to spend money and make decisive moves, there will be no rejuvenated team in Washington anytime soon.

Snyder has been willing to spend money on the Redskins and finally it appears it will be spent consistently in the right direction.

On your first point, yes, Shanahan is a better coach than Flip but the margin is not as wide as you think it is. Flip is absolutely a top 10 coach in the NBA today. Furthermore, he has had more recent success than Shanahan going to the conference finals in 4 of his last 5 years as head coach (although it isn't going to happen this year).

I think Andray Blatche is proving right now that he is a core player, as is Al Thornton. McGee has also showed flashes of being there too. Add this to the fact that the Wiz will get a top 10 pick. Furthermore, with tons of cap room, they will be able to get first round picks and prospects from cash-strapped teams looking to dump bad contracts. It is not hopeless at all to start from this type of position. OKC started in an even worse position than we did but then they got Durant, Green, Westbrook, and Harden in successive drafts. Furthermore, they took on other teams' bad contracts to draft other talented guys like Serge Ibaka.

The same is true with Memphis. After the Gasol trade, they had nothing. Now, they have one of the league's best young teams.

If the Wiz really wanted to, they could go to the playoffs next season by keeping Gil, resigning Howard and Miller, and then adding someone like Camby in free agency, but they realize that this is a short-term solution and the goal is to build a contender for the long-term. So, what you are going to see is the above solution of looking to add draft picks and young prospects.

Furthermore, I trust in Ted a lot more than I trust in Snyder. Abe may have been a tad cheap, but we had one of the league's highest payrolls over the course of this decade.

Archived