Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anyone here take Fish Oil?

#98QBKiller

What have you done with your season ticket invoice?  

154 members have voted

1. 1. What have you done with your season ticket invoice?

• I paid in full
    • I paid on 3 payment installment plan
    • Waiting for 3/1/10
    • Not renewing this year

Hmm....Sounds like something I need to look into. My triglycerides are ridiculous, and if it helps with focus to.....uh.....the hockey game is today, right? :ols:

Seriously though, I'm going to check this out. Any other side effects besides the apparent belchtasticness?

None. Well,aside from some funny growths around the neck,(I'll leave out the breathing part),a sudden obsession with watching the Little Mermaid 24/7,and the urge to actually eat that can of worms. Other than those,should be fine. And never take the stuff with soda. The potential for epic nastytastingburp syndrome is greatly increased. And Lord help you if you fall victim to a vurp after taking one.

None. Well,aside from some funny growths around the neck,a sudden obsession with watching the Little Mermaid 24/7,and the urge to actually eat that can of worms. Other than those,should be fine. And never take the stuff with soda. The potential for epic nastytastingburp syndrome is greatly increased. And Lord help you if you fall victim to a vurp after taking one.

Ewwwwwwww......:ols:

Hmm....Sounds like something I need to look into. My triglycerides are ridiculous, and if it helps with focus to.....uh.....the hockey game is today, right? :ols:

Seriously though, I'm going to check this out. Any other side effects besides the apparent belchtasticness?

Fish oil is LIKELY SAFE for most people, including pregnant and breast-feeding women, when taken in low doses (3 grams or less per day).

Fish oil can cause side effects including belching, bad breath, heartburn, nausea, loose stools, rash, and nosebleeds. Taking fish oil supplements with meals or freezing them can often decrease these side effects.

Taking high doses of fish oil is POSSIBLY UNSAFE. Taking more than 3 grams per day might keep blood from clotting and can increase the chance of bleeding.

High doses of fish oil might also reduce the immune system’s activity, reducing the body’s ability to fight infection. This is a special concern for people taking medications to reduce their immune system’s activity (HIV/AIDS patients, for example) and the elderly.

Taking fish oil supplements in larger amounts can increase levels of the “bad” LDL cholesterol in some people. You will need blood tests periodically to ensure LDL cholesterols do not become too high.

Some fish meats (especially shark, king mackerel, and farm-raised salmon) can be contaminated with mercury and other industrial and environmental chemicals, but fish oil supplements typically do not contain these contaminants.

I don't take it, but my consumer reports health Mag just had an article in it, says it way too much money for the little it does. You can get just as much needed vitamins with your diet and not have to spend so much money on the supplement.

I don't take it, but my consumer reports health Mag just had an article in it, says it way too much money for the little it does. You can get just as much needed vitamins with your diet and not have to spend so much money on the supplement.

That's the same nonsense that has been spouted for years. You can have a perfect diet and still be deficient. The AMA of all organizations has even stated that everyone should be taking a multi-vitamin.

Trust me. Supplementation is a wise move. I hate spending the money too, but it is well worth it IMO.

It's a ridiculously cheap supplement (easily less than $10 a month), are you sure your source wasn't talking about the prescription versions?

That's the same nonsense that has been spouted for years. You can have a perfect diet and still be deficient. The AMA of all organizations has even stated that everyone should be taking a multi-vitamin.

Trust me. Supplementation is a wise move. I hate spending the money too, but it is well worth it IMO.

I pay attention to what I eat and get all of my nutrients via food. Maybe some are unusually deficient, like many women have issues with iron, but that too can be controlled by diet.

It's a ridiculously cheap supplement (easily less than $10 a month), are you sure your source wasn't talking about the prescription versions?

I tossed it out already, but I don't recall it talking about prescriptions...but I do believe you can get what you need through food. Man has been around for thousands of years, and we all of a sudden won't survive without supplements? I don't buy it.

I pay attention to what I eat and get all of my nutrients via food. Maybe some are unusually deficient, like many women have issues with iron, but that too can be controlled by diet.

I tossed it out already, but I don't recall it talking about prescriptions...but I do believe you can get what you need through food. Man has been around for thousands of years, and we all of a sudden won't survive without supplements? I don't buy it.

People survived for thousands of years without immunizations too. However a lot of people DIDN'T. In the case of supplements it's not a matter the human race surviving but of perhaps extending your life further.

I take them because my doctor recommended them because of low good cholesteral. You can get it through food if you eat enough but sometimes it depends on the person. I wouldn't take it if my good cholesteral was at a normal level.

Seriously though, I'm going to check this out. Any other side effects

A significant risk of Halitosis is common after taking Fish Oil.

$10 a month for Fish Oil will get you crap for Fish Oil.

Just like pretty much any other merchandise, you get what you pay for, and the quality of Fish Oil from one manufacturer to another varies greatly.

If you're only willing to spend $10 a month on Fish Oil, you might as well spend $0 and get the same result.

ACW is surprisingly absent from this thread.

Yes, I'm still waiting for him to appear.

Apparently he's embarrassed because Kevin Trudeau recommends Fish Oil, as well.

A significant risk of Halitosis is common after taking Fish Oil.
Along with many other things common to your average person's every day diet. Like onions,garlic,milk,some cheeses,coffee,ect. Let's try not to be too dramatic with that one.

Wife was watching Oprah and gave me the list below. I have borderline cholesterol and medically controlled high blood pressure. I added 2 baby aspirin, cut in 1/2 vitamin, garlic tabs and fish oil to my daily regimen. I go for bloodwork in about 2 weeks - we will see what 8 months of this change really accomplished.

Dr. Oz's Ultimate Vitamin List:

• Vitamin D: Dr. Oz shared that over 50% of Americans are deficient in vitamin D - he recommends 1000 IU daily
  • Calcium: Calcium may make you constipated, so Dr. Oz suggests taking it with magnesium - 600mg of calcium and 200mg of magnesium twice a day
  • DHA Omega-3: Similar to fish oil, says Dr. Oz, DHA omega-3 comes in a pill form but doesn't have the side effects of fish oil - he recommends 600mg a day
  • Baby Aspirin: 2 baby aspirin a day for people over 40 is Dr. Oz's suggested dose - 2 baby aspirin have half the amount of 1 regular aspirin
  • Multivitamin: Dr. Oz explained the benefit of cutting a multivitamin in half and taking 1 half in the morning and 1 half in the evening - it will spread the vitamin intake evenly throughout the day

I've taken it a few times, didn't notice any difference focus or energy wise. In fact I felt kind of weird after taking it, like I wasn't thinking clearly...perhaps placebo effect. It also didn't make me any more happy than I already was. As far as a mood lifter, there are plenty other supplements out there that trump Fish Oil.

Archived