Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anyone here take Fish Oil?

#98QBKiller

What have you done with your season ticket invoice?  

154 members have voted

1. 1. What have you done with your season ticket invoice?

• I paid in full
    • I paid on 3 payment installment plan
    • Waiting for 3/1/10
    • Not renewing this year

I've been researching its benefits for a while and just started taking it. With my family history of high cholesterol and my high-protein diet I thought it would be a good idea.

I've also read a lot of new studies saying that it's shown to be a fairly effective anti-depressant. I'm not a depressed person but after taking it for just a little bit I've noticed an elevation in my mood.

The Mayo Clinic gave it good scores on several cardiovascular/blood pressure issues too:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/fish-oil/NS_patient-fishoil/DSECTION=evidence

Evidence

These uses have been tested in humans or animals. Safety and effectiveness have not always been proven. Some of these conditions are potentially serious, and should be evaluated by a qualified healthcare provider.

clear.gif

High blood pressure

Multiple human trials report small reductions in blood pressure with intake of omega-3 fatty acid. DHA may have greater benefits than EPA. However, high intakes of omega-3 fatty acids per day may be necessary to obtain clinically relevant effects, and at this dose level, there is an increased risk of bleeding. Therefore, a qualified healthcare provider should be consulted prior to starting treatment with supplements. A

Hypertriglyceridemia (fish oil / EPA plus DHA)

There is strong scientific evidence from human trials that omega-3 fatty acids from fish or fish oil supplements (EPA + DHA) significantly reduce blood triglyceride levels. Benefits appear to be dose-dependent. Fish oil supplements also appear to cause small improvements in high-density lipoprotein ("good cholesterol"); however, increases (worsening) in low-density lipoprotein levels (LDL/"bad cholesterol") are also observed. It is not clear if alpha-linolenic acid significantly affects triglyceride levels, and there is conflicting evidence in this area. The American Heart Association has published recommendations for EPA + DHA. Because of the risk of bleeding from omega-3 fatty acids, a qualified healthcare provider should be consulted prior to starting treatment with supplements. There is growing evidence that reducing C-Reactive Protein (CRP) is beneficial towards favorable cardiovascular outcomes, although additional research is pending in this area. The data on fish oils and CRP levels is mixed. A

Secondary cardiovascular disease prevention (fish oil / EPA plus DHA)

Several well-conducted randomized controlled trials report that in people with a history of heart attack, regular consumption of oily fish or fish oil/omega-3 supplements reduces the risk of non-fatal heart attack, fatal heart attack, sudden death, and all-cause mortality (death due to any cause). Most patients in these studies were also using conventional heart drugs, suggesting that the benefits of fish oils may add to the effects of other therapies. A

<staff-edited large amount of text to comply with rules>

10. Adhere to ES policies on using headlines/content from other websites to start a new thread or to add to an existing thread.

When posting anything concerning news articles from outside sources or using any website as part of the topic please include a direct link (i.e., URL) to the original page/site. Paste the URL directly atop the post, above a small portion of the article's text (for example, the lead paragraph or a particular sentence or two). Such a practice provides credibility and attribution to the source of the information, and allows visitors the option to visit the respective websites. You are responsible for the content you post.

If you are posting a published article from a news source, please title your thread in the following format: "SOURCE SHORTFORM: HEADLINE" (Ex. WP: Redskins Name Mike Shanahan New Head Coach). Please see our copyright statement.

If you're adding content from any website to an existing thread, please resist posting large sections of that content. Just post the link and a brief relevant paragraph/description of the point the content is being used to support.

Fish oil is good for you and reduces ADD among many other benefits - why take Ritalin when you can take this natural product. Take the one that say Omega3 + Vitamin D. Also you should take Acai berry which can be bought from your local drug store. Acai berry has a nice punch of anti-oxidants as well as help reduce cholesterol and is good for your blood.

I do, just generic fish oil, 2 gels 1200 MGs each.

The burps are horrifying

~Bang

I take two 1290 MGs a day, I made sure I bought a brand that claimed to not give you the fish burps. So far so good, I haven't had a case of them yet.

My wife takes them occasionally but we eat enough fish during the week (3+ times a week) that we probably don't need to supplement. Any reason you don't just add more fish to your diet instead?

I guess it just comes down to convenience. I love fish but this isn't a great time of year for hitting the fish market and my girlfriend doesn't like seafood that much so it's just easier for me to pop the concentrated pills.

My wife takes them occasionally but we eat enough fish during the week (3+ times a week) that we probably don't need to supplement. Any reason you don't just add more fish to your diet instead?

Aside from sardines, anchovies, other small cold water fish, pretty much all others are contaminated with heavy metals and other toxins. You can order wild red salmon from good sources online however that's supposed to be fairly pure. Expensive, but an option. You may also want to stay away from farmed fish. I do anyways.

Don't take it. It's a bunch of B.S.

It's clearly not medicine, so it must be alternative medicine, and therefore quackery, and of no use for depression.

/sarcasm for the anti-alternative medicine crowd

I take it. :)

But remember, mi amigo, there's a difference between having an open mind and having a head like a sieve. :pfft:

Archived