Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Palin's Political Positions

ThinSkin

She was a hail marry for a canidate that saw his last chance at being president slip away.

Maybe so, but that still meant that she was on the starting roster and not even deactivated on game days. The coaches still saw something in her. It's not easy to get on that playing field. She has the same stature as a Dan Quayle or a James Stockdale.

[edit] Illegal Immigration

On October 31, 2008, Palin told reporter Greta Van Susteren that closing the borders should be the first priority in dealing with illegal immigration. She rejects amnesty for illegal immigrants who have violated federal law.[47] Palin did, however, state that she supported a path to citizenship for illegal immigrants.[48]

I know this is the Republican party line on immigration, but I wish everyone would just admit that "a path to citizenship for illegal immigrants" is the same thing as amnesty.
As governor, how do you deal with them? Do you think they all should be deported?

There is no way that in the US we would roundup every illegal immigrant -there are about 12 million of the illegal immigrants- not only economically is that just an impossibility but that's not a humane way anyway to deal with the issue that we face with illegal immigration.

Do you then favor an amnesty for the 12 or 13 million undocumented immigrants?

No, I do not. I do not. Not total amnesty. You know, people have got to follow the rules. They've got to follow the bar, and we have got to make sure that there is equal opportunity and those who are here legally should be first in line for services being provided and those opportunities that this great country provides.

To clarify, so you support a path to citizenship for undocumented immigrants?

I do because I understand why people would want to be in America. To seek the safety and prosperity, the opportunities, the health that is here. It is so important that yes, people follow the rules so that people can be treated equally and fairly in this country.

http://www.univision.com/content/content.jhtml?chid=3&schid=10414&secid=25534&cid=1716304&pagenum=2

Maybe she was just parroting McCain's party line back then, but her more recent statements also seem pretty soft on immigration. It's a good thing that she hasn't embraced the Tancredo side of the Tea Party platform, but I wish Republicans could just be more honest about the practicalities of illegal immigration.

Why can't the Palin critics make up their mind ?

She resigned because political life was difficult.

She resigned so she could start prepping for a 2012 run.

Can't have it both ways.

That's only true if those ways contradict each other.

She could have resigned because political life was difficult, to prepare for the 2012 run, to make more money, to avoid making mistakes while governing, and to satisfy her secret desire to live in a big city... ;) These things are not contradictory, so the answer can be all of the above :2cents:

I know this is the Republican party line on immigration, but I wish everyone would just admit that "a path to citizenship for illegal immigrants" is the same thing as amnesty.http://www.univision.com/content/content.jhtml?chid=3&schid=10414&secid=25534&cid=1716304&pagenum=2

Maybe she was just parroting McCain's party line back then, but her more recent statements also seem pretty soft on immigration. It's a good thing that she hasn't embraced the Tancredo side of the Tea Party platform, but I wish Republicans could just be more honest about the practicalities of illegal immigration.

Nice catch. I would like to think that Palin knows that undocumented immigrants is the same as illegal immigrants, and that amnesty is the same as "pathway to citizenship", but the information provided indicates otherwise.

Can I get away with saying she was probably misquoted?;)

Serious questions for Palin supporters.

Are there any other potential candidates out there who hold substantially similar politicial positions to Sarah Palin?

If so, excatly why would you choose Sarah Palin over one of those other candidates? Be specific, if you can.

[edit] Birth Status of Barack Obama

In a December 3, 2009, interview with Rusty Humphries, Palin was asked about Obama's Birth Certificate. She stated, "I think the public rightfully is still making it an issue. I don't have a problem with that. I don't know if I would have to bother to make it an issue, because I think that members of the electorate still want answers." When asked if people had a legitimate reason to question the certificate, she stated, "I think it's a fair question, just like I think past association and past voting records – all of that is fair game." She also stated that the questions were 'fair play' because, "the weird conspiracy theory freaky thing that people talk about that Trig isn't my real son – 'You need to produce his birth certificate, you need to prove that he's your kid,' which we have done. Maybe we can reverse that."[42]

Palin later clarified her position in a Facebook posting by stating: "Voters have every right to ask candidates for information if they so choose. I’ve pointed out that it was seemingly fair game during the 2008 election for many on the left to badger my doctor and lawyer for proof that Trig is in fact my child. Conspiracy-minded reporters and voters had a right to ask... which they have repeatedly. But at no point – not during the campaign, and not during recent interviews – have I asked the president to produce his birth certificate or suggested that he was not born in the United States."[43]

It's absolutely possible that I missed this, I'm saying that right up front, but was the validity of Trig being Palin's biological son actually on the same level, scrutiny-wise, as Obama's citizenship?

It's absolutely possible that I missed this, I'm saying that right up front, but was the validity of Trig being Palin's biological son actually on the same level, scrutiny-wise, as Obama's citizenship?

I don't rememebr hearing much about that either. I think I heard it once just as a rumor thing, but I don't think it ever got national attention.

First I've ever heard of it.

~Bang

Are there any other potential candidates out there who hold substantially similar politicial positions to Sarah Palin?

If so, excatly why would you choose Sarah Palin over one of those other candidates? Be specific, if you can.

There are a number of them

Choosing would have to wait till I knew what they were running for(different offices,different priorities)

But something that I respect is her coming up outside the system to a large degree from a largely modest background.(a feat that is not easy )and her ability to work towards a goal.

She has grit and firm convictions.

added

being a female and doing so is even more impressive to me,especially in Alaska.

First I've ever heard of it.

~Bang

I've heard of it. I saw a story on an election blog (name escapes me now, one that tracks probable electoral votes based on an amalgamation of recent polls) that had a story about the possible genesis of the rumor. IIRC, allegedly she had flown to Dallas in her 9th month of pregnancy for some national Governors meeting or something, and the baby was born pretty soon after she got back. People believed that there was no way she would be flying at that time, and rumors/speculation developed that maybe she was covering for her single teenage daughter by claiming the baby was hers.

This is just another conspiracy theory, but the flight itself, assuming that part is true, should arguably raise some questions about her judgment and priorities. No woman in her 9th month should be flying on any plane unless it is an emergency. A long unnecessary flight from Alaska to Texas, especially where the mother is a little older, and pregnant with a special needs child, seems highly irresponsible.

I honestly haven't paid attention to who else for the GOP might be interested in 2012. Many names have been bandied about such as Huckabee, Pawlenty, and others. The Presidential election is a long way off so I haven't had the desire to really investigate their exact positions, although we're all familiar with Huckabee.

As for Palin's viability to be a good candidate, you can't discount her star power as a major attraction. You guys capitalized on the same thing with Obama, only in this case, Palin brings brains to the table.;) Another thing that can't be discounted, is that she's a woman. I don't mean that men and women will be attracted to her out of lust or identification, or that her election would be "historic". That seems all so shallow to me. I'm talking about how a woman's character would somehow be seen as above reproach (see: Bill Clinton).

Anyway, looking back over what I just wrote, I can see that I in no way answered your question. Sorry. Maybe in the future I will be able to.

Why can't the Palin critics make up their mind ?

She resigned because political life was difficult.

She resigned so she could start prepping for a 2012 run.

Can't have it both ways.

Well just in case you didn't notice Palin's critics aren't part of the Borg collective, we do have our own minds and think for ourselves.

With that said, her resignation is about tough political situation and being unprofessional, and weak.

Archived