Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Curling is an Embarrassment

Ghost of

I'd much, much rather watch softball than curling. Still don't understand that decision.

If softball was in the Winter Games, it would've been safer because there would have been an audience for it because so many of the "sports" in the winter games SUCK. Ice dancing? Curling? STUPID.

How the hell synchronized swimming, idiotic rhythmic gymnastics, trampoline tumbling?!? WTF?? are in the summer games boggles my mind too.

However, from what I understand, there are many other sports in the Summer games that attract audiences (swimming, track and field, gymnastics, etc.). I can definitnely see that, I love watching those myself. So basically, softball wasn't profitable enough for the IOC. Add to that that America pretty much whooped everyone's ass in the sport (except the final gold medal game in the final Olympics), and it wasn't something the IOC ultimately wanted to continue. I believe it was a one vote difference that determined that fate.

It sucks. I was coaching high level softball in SoCal at the time the announcement was made. A lot of our girls had legit hopes of being recruited to some of the softball powerhouse universities and possibly onto bigger things after that. It was sad to see the anger and disappointment in a lot of the girls and we talked about it a lot. Many of the same discussions came up, like why the hell some seemingly ridiculous sports are in and some legit ones are cut.

It all comes down to profitability and politics in the end. It's just another reason (among a multitude of reasons) the Olympics have really lost their glory to me. And don't take this as me bashing on the athletes. These athletes sacrifice so much, they put their heart and soul into these sports. They are definitely not the problem. It's the heads of the IOC, the heads of sport regulatory committees, the heads of the sport associations (USA wrestling, etc.) that really tarnish the spirit of the Olympics to me.

This isn't medal-worthy???

:ols: :ols: :ols:

Sidenote: Across the street from the Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs there is this dive karaoke bar called the "Finish Line" that me, my husband, and some of the other wrestlers go to just about every weekend. All I can say is that you can immediately tell who the male figure skaters, and usually male gymnasts, are in less than 5 seconds. :ols:

Anyone agree with me? Should Curling be a sport with an ACTUAL gold medal and on par with competitions like crew, track and field, basketball, hockey, skiing, etc?

Yes and no on the agreement. I'd eliminate any sport that requires judges to determine the winner, which doesn't include curling. Judges are too subjective, too prone to corruption and often the judging is not based on what occurs at the time but on the historical body of work of the performer(eg Figure Skating). Bottomline anything that requires a judge is an art not a sport.

More evidence here:

http://olympics.fanhouse.com/2010/02/19/learning-to-curl-with-pregnant-canadian-curler-kristie-moore/

This woman is 5.5 months pregnant and competing in curling.

Can you imagine a nearly third trimester woman going downhill in the Super G, doing a double axle on ice, playing women's hockey or basically anything that's a real athletic sport?

Sure, maybe very early on but five and a half in should tell you all you need to know about the strenuous demands of CURLING.

I agree, you probably don't need to be the greatest athlete to compete in curling. But I bet its a lot harder than many of you think.

I would compare it to horseshoes or bocci, some of us might be decent at it, but no matter how hard we try, there is always that guy that can throw a ringer 7 times out of 10.

Archived