Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Curling is an Embarrassment

Ghost of

I watched this last night at the bar...I think it was the swiss and the canadians...there were about 2 hot chics....both pushing the puck...all flexible and low to the ground I liked that. I thought it was completly dumb and over rated at first, but after watching it for a while I started to see where the skill comes in. I watched on girl bump 2 oppsoing pucks out of the target and land hers dead center, another girl curved her puck around others that were blocking the path to the target. Another thing that impressed me was the girls with the brooms were able to step over the other pucks with really looking at them to much. Looks interesting, but far from an athletic sport.

The Olympics tests skill, not necessarily athleticism, as others have pointed out in the case of archery, and as is the case with events such as shooting, synchronized swimming, parts of the various -athlons, arguably sailing and table tennis, and tons of other events that have been contested at the Olympics over the years. Curling is badass. I just wish it wasn't 75% of NBC's daytime HD coverage.

Next? Poker.

Quarters.

Louisville Slugger. Seriously, Louisville Slugger, which I had the occasion to observe for the first time at a Michigan/Iowa tailgate in October, seems more of a test of the athletic prowess of those involved. I guess you can't make people drink for an Olympic sport though I can picture Curling involving a heavy amount of ale swilling between rounds (or whatever the hell they call their rounds of play.)

I'm hoping for artillery. :)

I think Ghost makes a good point- if I had a world-class softball playing daughter that was sitting at home watching curling in the olympics- not exactly sure what I would tell her.

"sorry the rest of the world are a bunch of ****es, sweetheart"

Screwing should be an Olympic sport :yes:

LOL, sign me up for the marathon event!

Curling does not deserve to be in the Olympics. Especially, as was pointed out already, in light of it being a game instead of sport or athletic event, and even more so when real sports like baseball are left out of the summer games. How the hell is baseball not popular enough to be an Olympic sport???

Just to remind you, and I find this personally as funny to think, they do call the Winter Olympics the "Winter Games". Yes I do occasionally enjoy watching curling, but let's go to the summer games where Badminton and Ping Pong are Olympic events. I don't really know the history of Curling, but it seems that it's a popular event world wide, so they'll keep it.

Screwing should be an Olympic sport :yes:

Too many countries would be left out. Then you have the fact that they'd have to make it a true challenge, so one of the partners would have to be ugly. So look at it on the bright side, Califan, if it were an event, at least you'd have a hot partner.

Yeah' date=' but it would've been fun to hear that conversation.

"Dude, i'm tired of shuffleboard, lets go ice skating."

"Ice skating?? That's gay..shuffleboard is much better."

"Why don't we combine the two! Lets play shuffleboard...but on ice! WITH A GIANT ROCK!"

10 minutes later when they reach the ice rink...

"What should we do with these brooms in my car?"[/quote']

Alright, this was fantastic and deserves high praise...especially the broom line.

BTW, my wife and I were watching curling last night, and we were basically making fun of it. Mostly because one of the women kept screaming "HARD!!" really loudly. We got bored quickly, but I think I'd probably really get into it if I were drinking. By the way, the Danish team was kind of hot.

Also, curling is officially #1 on my list, the list being "games I could most likely eventually compete in despite being an office worker and somewhat of a couch potato.

I'm probably underestimating the amount of effort it takes, but I look at it like this. I could never be a world class hockey player or ice skater, I can't skate. No matter how much I try and practice, I'll never be able to represent the US in swimming or basketball. Curling looks like you could basically play within a month. You just slide the damn rock and sweep a broom.

*Edit, screw it, that quote just became my new sig*

I think its a sport in the way that Pool or Golf is a sport.

I enjoy it.

There is strategy working with a team to place something within inches depending on the other team.

I think its more of any sport where you need judges opinion to score.

So you think it's a sport in that it's a game rather than a sport. A sport is always a game, whereas a game is not always a sport.

As far as judging, that's pretty silly too. Most of those "sports" are really just a string of stunts, like snowboarding. You can do stupid tricks. Impressive. The race-oriented events are justifiable to me, they are strictly measured and timed. It's about performance, not just style points.

*Edit, screw it, that quote just became my new sig*

That was quick! :ols: Less distracting than the last one, anyway.

It looks like fun though, doesn't it?

How many of you would like to actually play Curling?

~Bang

IMO one does not actually "play" curling. It's more like you just do it. Looks more like model building(steady hand) and sweeping the kitchen floor (do it when necessary). :)

I think Ghost makes a good point- if I had a world-class softball playing daughter that was sitting at home watching curling in the olympics- not exactly sure what I would tell her.

"sorry the rest of the world are a bunch of ****es, sweetheart"

She'd only be able to win one gold anyway... if should could swim or ski however she could win like a dozen. Which makes sense somehow.

Also, curling is officially #1 on my list, the list being "games I could most likely eventually compete in despite being an office worker and somewhat of a couch potato.

I'm probably underestimating the amount of effort it takes, but I look at it like this. I could never be a world class hockey player or ice skater, I can't skate. No matter how much I try and practice, I'll never be able to represent the US in swimming or basketball. Curling looks like you could basically play within a month. You just slide the damn rock and sweep a broom.

I pretty much agree with this.

I see downhill skiing, speed skating, swimming, sprinting, any of those kinds of events in the Olympics, and I realize I'm seeing the best in the world at this. Athletes trained to their maximum physical capacity to compete at this level specifically for this sport.

I see the guys that do curling and doubt that these guys are really the peak specimens of this sport. There's some technique to learn and perfect, I understand that, but it's such a niche sport that I'm sure there are more qualified individuals out there that given just a couple of months of practice, could probably compete on the national level. I bet some of the other Olympians could pull double duty and learn curling well enough to hold it down for their respective national teams.

It's an interesting event to watch, but I can't give it any real credit.

Curling is idiotic. I'm still bitter that's a "sport," yet women's softball was cut from the summer olympics. Total BS. Screw the IOC, I seriously hate them. Too much politicking and money involved now days...it kind of ruins the Olympics for me.

Curling chicks are MUCHHHH hotter than softball chicks. Therefore curling >>>> women's softball. I WIN!!!!

Curling is idiotic. I'm still bitter that's a "sport," yet women's softball was cut from the summer olympics. Total BS. Screw the IOC, I seriously hate them. Too much politicking and money involved now days...it kind of ruins the Olympics for me.

I'd much, much rather watch softball than curling. Still don't understand that decision.

I'd much, much rather watch softball than curling. Still don't understand that decision.

Its easy to understand it, the US dominates it therefore the IOC removes it. That pretty much goes for any sport the IOC removes, if the US dominates, it won't last long.

Archived