Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Let's Debate: Tony Pike

Looking For Number Four

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

He recently came up in another thread and I have yet to see a full thread of picking this option apart.

http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2010tpike.php

Strengths: Good height; can comfortably see over line

Very quick decision-maker

Great football intelligence

Nice touch on the football; clean spiral

Has an adequate sixth sense for pass rush

Takes what the defense gives him; doesn't force throws

Solid accuracy down the field

Absolutely outstanding timing; throws ball before receiver even gets into break

Good character

Weaknesses: Lacks some bulk in his body frame

Extremely weak arm strength

Lacks agility and athleticism; can't evade a pass rush

Somewhat of a statue in the pocket

Floats deep ball a little too much

Not a very good passer on the run

Throws difficult routes - but with unimpressive velocity/talent

Highly limited skill set

Competitiveness hasn't been tested yet

Older than the average prospect (will be a 24-year-old rookie)

Summary: Pike projects strictly as a career backup in the NFL. He simply doesn't possess even an average arm to be a starter. Pike can be somewhat reliable since he makes great decisions and is highly intelligent, but he lacks a lot of talent, and you can't coach talent. I project Pike to come off the board between the third and fifth rounds.

Player Comparison: Todd Collins. Collins has a weak arm, but is an extremely smart quarterback and a reliable backup.

Personally, I could not imagine him being 6'6" and not having an average arm. He will probably fill out a little more which should help with evasiveness and strength. More importantly, Peyton Manning and Tom Brady are not mobile either, great QBs with high IQ and quick decision making do not need to be.

Sounds like Matt Schaub:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2004/draft/players/47945.html

BIO: Posted passing numbers of 69.7 percent/2,952/18/10 as a senior with an efficiency rating of 141.03, even though he suffered an injury to his passing shoulder during the first game of the season. ACC Offensive Player of the Year as a junior after starting 14 games and throwing for 68.9 percent/2,976/28/7. Started six games under center as a sophomore and compiled 58.3 percent/1,524/10/8.

POSITIVES: Competitive signal-caller best in the short or intermediate passing game. Quickly sets up on the pocket, patient and buys time. Good field awareness, knows where his receivers are on the field and takes a hit in order to get the pass off. Zips the ball into the seam, accurate on the crossing patterns and puts touch on throws when necessary.

NEGATIVES: Cannot escape the rush or make throws on the move. Lacks the pinpoint pass placement and loses accuracy the further out to the flanks he is asked to throw the ball. Lacks a big league arm and not accurate with the deep pass.

ANALYSIS: An efficient signal-caller that plays within himself, Schaub has a nice feel for the position and makes good decisions in the pocket. Has limitations but should fit in nicely as a third-stringer.

PROJECTION: Late Fifth Round

Pike would allow us to get Okung, we would still have Colt as a backup, would anyone be willing to forgo Bradford/Clausen?

you must be on crack...colt brennan has a stronger arm than this kid and that's not saying much...also pike makes terrible decisions and isn't elusive like colt is, nor can he break a tackle to make up for his lack of elusiveness...

terrible pick...if we drafted pike anywhere higher than 5th round I'd cry myself to sleep and wear a Romo sits to pee jersey for a week straight, not kidding either if anyone is willing to take me up on that let me know haha..you supply the Romo sits to pee jersey though!

I have a feeling he will drop.

When he was injured Cincinatti didn't miss a beat and the backup seemed to play just as well.

I would love to land him in the 4th round.

Backup played Louisville and Connecticut at home, Syracuse on the road...

Pike threw 3 TDs 0 INTs and completed 60% against Florida in bowl game...

http://espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=169390

"Lacks agility and athleticism; can't evade a pass rush

Somewhat of a statue in the pocket

Not a very good passer on the run"

Especially the last one. Remember Shanahan is our new coach. He's going to want someone who can move well and throw on the run.

I wasn't impressed with Robinson this season, I really don't think he's going to make it in the NFL, from what I saw. I didn't watch every OSU game, but he didn't look very good in the ones I did see (mostly at the beginning of the season). He started out with a lot of talk about his status as one of the top Div I QBs, then seemed to die off pretty quickly. He had a good OL, and a dominant receiving threat, but just didn't look accurate or calm. He really looked like he panicked a lot, but I'm sure I didn't see him at his best.

I didn't watch ANY Pike games, so I don't know anything about him. The scouting report sounds really good (minus the girl scout arm and I think Shanahan uses lots of boot-leg plays, so not being able to throw on the run could be a major issue). I figure if we get any of the 2nd (like McCoy) or 3rd tier (like Pike or Robinson) QBs I'll be fine with it.

To be honest, at this point, I'm fine with whatever Allen and Shanahan decide. I just wasn't impressed with Robinson early this season.

Yes to Okung if Bradford isn't 100%, but no way in hell to Pike. I'd take Snead or LeFevour over Pike. Pike is a lanky kid with an average arm, who is immobile, and seems like a system QB in Cincy under Kelly, especially with how well the back up played when Pike was injured.

I wasn't impressed with Robinson this season, I really don't think he's going to make it in the NFL, from what I saw. I didn't watch every OSU game, but he didn't look very good in the ones I did see (mostly at the beginning of the season). He started out with a lot of talk about his status as one of the top Div I QBs, then seemed to die off pretty quickly. He had a good OL, and a dominant receiving threat, but just didn't look accurate or calm. He really looked like he panicked a lot, but I'm sure I didn't see him at his best.

It looked like he suffered from a talent drain, as well as injuries.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/stories/122909dnspocottonlede.3356bbc.html

Yeah, it does sound like he had a really rough year. Like I said, whoever we get, I'd assume Shanahan drafts him because he had the talent to be a star at QB, so I'm fine with whoever we get.

9TD/0INT 570 yards against Ill. and Fla.

29/6 TD/INT and missed 3 games....

All of the debate against Pike seems much like the facts used in 2004 to deem Schaub a ceiling as a 3rd stringer...

9TD/0INT 570 yards against Ill. and Fla.

I was actually referring to the article that talks about his grandfather dying and his receivers all getting kicked off the team, quitting, or being suspended by the NCAA.

I can't even find the two games you're referencing. When did OSU play Florida or Illinois? In the 4 seasons Robinson's been at Oklahoma State I don't see (from ESPN) that they played either team. Maybe something's wrong with their site or my computer, but I can't find it.

His best game this season was against Texas A&M where he threw 14/25 for 279 yards and 2 TDs 1 INT. His stats are less than mediocre this season:

59.8% completion percentage

2084 yards

15 TDs 12 INTs

That's nearly pathetic, and looks exactly like what I watched during their first 3 or 4 games this season. He didn't look like the guy who threw for 9 TDs against Illinois and Florida, but, as Longshot pointed out (with the article) he had a pretty rough season off the field as well as with revolving receivers. If we pick him, I'm more than willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, I just wasn't impressed with what I saw this year.

However, Allen and Mike know WAY more than me, and if they like what they saw, then great, I'll be a Zac Robinson fan all the way. Besides, he's a great looking guy, so maybe I can get my wife to sit down and watch a game with me.

EDIT: I see, you are giving me Tony Pike's stats, while Longshot and I were having a slightly off topic discussion about a different QB. That's my fault, I didn't refer to Robinson in my reply to him.

We were talking about Zac Robinson, not Pike. Like I said, earlier in the thread, I don't know anything about Pike, except what the OPs post says, which sounds good, except for the weak arm and the lack of being able to throw on the run, which Shanahan uses a lot.

The only QB worth taking outside Bradford and Clausen is McCoy, who is in their class as a prospect. I like Pike though, he has a lot of the qualities I like (accuracy, quick decision-making, quick release, intelligence) but even though I poo poo arm strength, his seems to be a real problem. It can be improved in the pros, but McCoy has a lot of the same issues but has more upside.

I believe McCoy is a legit franchise QB, on Bradford and Clausen's level, and a team that takes him in the #2nd or even the late first will be getting very good value.

I think this is a great QB class. No big armed hulking morons like Jamarcus Russell was, and Jake Locker will be. Just solid, intelligent, fundamentally sound guys with good work ethic who can be successful if developed well.

Archived