Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CNN: 2010 Oscar Nominations

MattFancy

It's a filler film.

I'm not saying it is a bad film at all. I'm saying I believe it was put there to get folks watching and boost the ratings.

Just like "UP". Does anyone really believe "UP" has any chane of winning best picture?

There was a reason why the academy created a 'best animated feature' category. So they wouldn't ever have to give the best picture oscar to a "cartoon" (as they see it).

Now granted, they played it smart, and didn't go all crazy and nominate things like "Transformers 2" for best picture.

However, I do believe some of these nominations are just ratings grabs.

I just cant see how a "filler film" could be a movie that just won a Golden Globe for Best Drama.

There to draw ratings or not, It was still one of the better movies this year. It deserved to be nominated.

I'm putting it down because it was one of the most intellectually lazy plots, next to maybe Titanic, that I've ever seen.

I've seen more compelling characters come out of reruns of Hogans Heroes.

Titanic had more Oscar nominations than any movie in history, and it won Best Picture that year.
But Avatar will win. Go figure.
I think Avatar will win it this year, although Hurt Locker has a chance.

I think people are way too harsh on Avatar. The story was cliche, but it was still a very entertaining movie. Nobody could really fall in love with any of the characters, but the experience still sucked you in, and you were still rooting for the Na'vi in the end.

I think I am somewhat influenced by having really low expectations for Avatar that were exceeded but really high expectations for the Hurt Locker that weren't quite met. I think they are both good (but not great) movies in a year without any great movies.

If Dances With Wolves can win Best Picture (over Goodfellas), then Avatar can certainly win.

"UP" was a great picture. It will (should) win the Best Animated Feature oscar.

I'm saying it's inclusion into the best picture category was done to get mainstream audiences invested into the program.

Up was genuinely one of the best films of the entire year.

I think that just because it's a cartoon doesn't mean the Academy should simply pay it lip service by naming it in the Best Picture category.

Especially out of that list of films for Best Picture, I think Up makes a strong case to actually be named the winner.

On a related note, I would love to see Inglorious Basterds win. (will never happen)
Well, the Academy certainly loves films about Nazis and Jewish persecution.

I didn't see it that way (maybe I've forgotten some unrealistic parts). I thought it was one of the best modern military movies, period. And a great piece of cinema. Glad to see it was nominated.
The dude sneaking out into town to see the boys family? Three EOD techs running blindly into the night? Blatant disregard for safety? I could go on, but basically the E-7 would never had made it to E-7.

Wow, I had never really thought it was like Pochahontas until you just posted that China. That is pretty much spot on.
Halfway during the movie I accepted it was just an adaptation of the Pocahontas story and it was much more enjoyable.

The dude sneaking out into town to see the boys family? Three EOD techs running blindly into the night? Blatant disregard for safety? I could go on, but basically the E-7 would never had made it to E-7.

I haven't watched it in a while -- I'll have to go back and take a closer look at the end. I watched a screener of it when it first came out, and then recently only got about halfway through it with the wife -- so I don't remember the ending scenes very well.

Regardless, I think most decent war movies focus on scenarios that are fairly unrealistic. I've never seen one that doesn't have a few "aww, come on" moments. In general, my impression was Hurt Locker was technically very accurate -- and a well made movie to boot.

Avatar was no where near being academy worthy material. Good entertainment, but not award good. So, my point every year that movies which are popular don't get a nod now gets downed by avatar. IMO it was the enviromental aspect of the movie that got it in.

The only movie I thought was even close to being award worthy was District 9. But than again, the oscars are a worthless ceremony just like the grammys, where they hand out meaningless praise for small, little known movies that no one ever sees till after someone wins.

Put me in the group that think Up should win. For compelling story to which almost all of us can relate I'm not sure I've seen better in a long time. For acting, it was consistently great. For memorable moments? Squirrel! and I think of the boy on the porch while the house is already in the air...there are a bunch of them.

I'm not saying I enjoyed it the most. Avatar is still the one I would go back to see in the theatre. It's just 5 years down the line, I think Up will be the one people are still watching.

"Up" was a lot of fun and it felt good to able to watch a movie with my son and not worry about whether he should be watching it.

I stopped caring about the Oscars after James Cameron's ego run wild during "Titanic" winning everything and the following year watching the horrible job Whoopi Goldberg did. I won't watch this year on the off chance Cameron once again has another chance to proclaim himself "The King of World." Best ting I ever heard about Titanic came from Stephen King when he said, "I watched Titanic when I got back home from the hospital, and cried. I knew that my IQ had been damaged."

Avatar was no where near being academy worthy material. Good entertainment, but not award good. So, my point every year that movies which are popular don't get a nod now gets downed by avatar. IMO it was the enviromental aspect of the movie that got it in.

The only movie I thought was even close to being award worthy was District 9. But than again, the oscars are a worthless ceremony just like the grammys, where they hand out meaningless praise for small, little known movies that no one ever sees till after someone wins.

They are nothing alike. Grammys go on popularity while the Oscars go by critics more so than the Grammys do. Were Taylor Swift and Lady Gaga the best musical acts this year? Considering lyrics and everything? I think not. Although, Avatar will be the exception this year.

They are nothing alike. Grammys go on popularity while the Oscars go by critics more so than the Grammys do. Were Taylor Swift and Lady Gaga the best musical acts this year? Considering lyrics and everything? I think not. Although, Avatar will be the exception this year.
I don't get the hate for Lady Gaga. Yeah, she's a little on the eccentric side with all the costumes and theatrics, but that's what also keeps people talking about her and part of her overall entertainment package. Once you get past that, she's pretty damn talented considering how much of her own producing/songwriting/marketing she does, on top of actually having a pretty good voice.

I love "Up." It's probably one of the best movies I've seen in recent years. But if I had only one (minor) complaint about it, it's that it really does everything possible to try and make you cry. I mean seriously. If you can get through the first 10 minutes without getting at least a bit watery eyed, you're inhuman. Anyone who looks at animated movies as just "kids movies" should see "Up" so they can change their mind.

I place them in the same catagory since they are awards given out in order to pat everyone in the industry on the back and not really for excellence.

I don't get the hate for Lady Gaga. Yeah, she's a little on the eccentric side with all the costumes and theatrics, but that's what also keeps people talking about her and part of her overall entertainment package. Once you get past that, she's pretty damn talented considering how much of her own producing/songwriting/marketing she does, on top of actually having a pretty good voice.

I have to agree with you. At first I was "not again" with regard to lady gaga. But then I saw her perform on SNL and she played the piano well, changed up her songs differently and sang. I was impressed. She's not quite like these other yahoos who use a mixer, sequencer and have no talent beyond that.

From what I have read, she writes her own songs can sing. She is just alittle wierd. In fact, I would IMO place her in the same vein as madonna and probably one notch better than madonna in the sense that she can sing better.

I love "Up." It's probably one of the best movies I've seen in recent years. But if I had only one (minor) complaint about it, it's that it really does everything possible to try and make you cry. I mean seriously. If you can get through the first 10 minutes without getting at least a bit watery eyed, you're inhuman. Anyone who looks at animated movies as just "kids movies" should see "Up" so they can change their mind.

I agree again. However, I thought it wasn't that they were trying to get you to cry but used the art of story telling without words in the beginning that was so powerful it moved people.

It also had a good story that touched people who saw it. I felt it was more of an adult movie in terms of subject matter than it was for kids. I thought they just threw in some kid funny stuff to make it appeal to them.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived