Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CNN: 2010 Oscar Nominations

MattFancy

http://www.cnn.com/2010/SHOWBIZ/Movies/02/02/academy.award.nominations.list/index.html?hpt=C1

Best picture

"Avatar"

"The Hurt Locker"

"Precious: Based on the novel 'Push' by Sapphire"

"Up in the Air"

"Inglourious Basterds"

"Up"

"The Blind Side"

"District 9"

"An Education"

"A Serious Man"

Actor

George Clooney, "Up in the Air"

Jeff Bridges, "Crazy Heart"

Colin Firth, "A Single Man"

Morgan Freeman, "Invictus"

Jeremy Renner, "The Hurt Locker"

Actress

Meryl Streep, "Julie & Julia"

Sandra Bullock, "The Blind Side"

Gabourey Sidibe, "Precious: Based on the novel 'Push' by Sapphire"

Helen Mirren, "The Last Station"

Carey Mulligan, "An Education"

Looks like Avatar and Hurt Locker lead the way.

Hurt Locker was an entertaining movie, but being an Army vet was WAY too unrealistic. Like any military movie, I found myself critiquing it as I watched. The more and more unbelievable it got, the less I liked it.

That's a huge and kind of odd group of Best Picture noms.

I was thinking the same thing. Why so many nominations? That is a wide variety of choices too. There's really a little bit of everything in there. Avatar, Up, and District 9 seem like the oddest ones.

cool that D9 made it up there for best picture....i love that movie.

i watched hurt locker in 2 different segments and missed the section of the movie after they are sniping guys out of that little shack in the desert and where the main guy shoots his boy in the leg as he is getting dragged away...

Dissapointed a bit that Avatar is up there for best picture. I expect a bit more from the academy.

On a related note, I would love to see Inglorious Basterds win. (will never happen)

Keep in mind that the academy increased the slots in best picture from 5 to 10.

I believe that these 5 new slots are nothing more than 'token slots' to put more mainstream films in to get more viewers watching.

The feeling is viewers were turning away as the Oscars seemed to get too indie-focused. Movies were getting nominated that didn't even play all over the country. So the average viewer/moviegoer, feeling no investment in these films, were turning away.

I think these 5 new slots were a shallow attempt by the academy to get these viewers to watch again by nominating more mainstream films that will never win.

I think "Avatar" fits into that

I have only seen a few.. Basterds was just ok and District 9 will never win but it was the best movie I saw all year. I thought the Effects were better than any SW Prequel or anything since.

The Nazi in Basterds deserves an oscar for his work... and I hope they dont give anything to that smug a-hole clooney.

I've seen six of those ten movies:

Up in the Air

Inglourious Basterds

Up

District 9

An Education

All were very good movies, and deserving of their places. My favorite was probably Inglourious Basterds, but it won't win. It will probably be either Avatar or Hurt Locker. My guess is that The Hurt Locker wins.

I just received The Hurt Locker on Netflix, so I'm looking forward to seeing if it lives up to the hype.

I have no desire to see either Precious or The Blind Side (which seems like it should be a Lifetime movie to me). I want to see A Serious Man at some point, since I like the Coen brothers, most of the time.

Keep in mind that the academy increased the slots in best picture from 5 to 10.

I believe that these 5 new slots are nothing more than 'token slots' to put more mainstream films in to get more viewers watching.

The feeling is viewers were turning away as the Oscars seemed to get too indie-focused. Movies were getting nominated that didn't even play all over the country. So the average viewer/moviegoer, feeling no investment in these films, were turning away.

I think these 5 new slots were a shallow attempt by the academy to get these viewers to watch again by nominating more mainstream films that will never win.

I think "Avatar" fits into that

Avatar as a filler movie? Not likely. It already won a Golden Globe, and its probably the front runner to win Best Picture.

It was a fantastic movie, but I think a lot of people are putting it down because its a different kind of movie. Avatar is definitely capable of winning Best Picture, and I think it will.

It was a fantastic movie, but I think a lot of people are putting it down because its a different kind of movie. Avatar is definitely capable of winning Best Picture, and I think it will.

I'm putting it down because it was one of the most intellectually lazy plots, next to maybe Titanic, that I've ever seen.

I've seen more compelling characters come out of reruns of Hogans Heroes.

Avatar as a filler movie? Not likely. It already won a Golden Globe, and its probably the front runner to win Best Picture.

It's a filler film.

I'm not saying it is a bad film at all. I'm saying I believe it was put there to get folks watching and boost the ratings.

Just like "UP". Does anyone really believe "UP" has any chane of winning best picture?

There was a reason why the academy created a 'best animated feature' category. So they wouldn't ever have to give the best picture oscar to a "cartoon" (as they see it).

Now granted, they played it smart, and didn't go all crazy and nominate things like "Transformers 2" for best picture.

However, I do believe some of these nominations are just ratings grabs.

Hurt Locker was an entertaining movie, but being an Army vet was WAY too unrealistic. Like any military movie, I found myself critiquing it as I watched. The more and more unbelievable it got, the less I liked it.

I didn't see it that way (maybe I've forgotten some unrealistic parts). I thought it was one of the best modern military movies, period. And a great piece of cinema. Glad to see it was nominated.

It's a filler film.

I'm not saying it is a bad film at all. I'm saying I believe it was put there to get folks watching and boost the ratings.

Just like "UP". Does anyone really believe "UP" has any chane of winning best picture?

There was a reason why the academy created a 'best animated feature' category. So they wouldn't ever have to give the best picture oscar to a "cartoon" (as they see it).

Now granted, they played it smart, and didn't go all crazy and nominate things like "Transformers 2" for best picture.

However, I do believe some of these nominations are just ratings grabs.

I dont think Up will win, but I thought it was far and away the best animated film I've ever seen, storywise, graphics-wise, etc. I dont think it was nominated simply as a "hey, let's throw in a cartoon" movie. I haven't seen District 9 and a few of the other nomineess, but I thought Up showed us more about the human condition than any film I've seen in a while, and it was certainly more "touching" than Avatar. It was very well done and not really a kids film at all.

I dont think Up will win, but I thought it was far and away the best animated film I've ever seen, storywise, graphics-wise, etc. I dont think it was nominated simply as a "hey, let's throw in a cartoon" movie. I haven't seen District 9 and a few of the other nomineess, but I thought Up showed us more about the human condition than any film I've seen in a while, and it was certainly more "touching" than Avatar. It was very well done and not really a kids film at all.

"UP" was a great picture. It will (should) win the Best Animated Feature oscar.

I'm saying it's inclusion into the best picture category was done to get mainstream audiences invested into the program.

Archived