Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

History Of ExtremeSkins

Thank you for the kind words sir!

Back in those days, when 2 of the "heavies" were engaged in vigorous debate, I would be afraid to chime in b/c I didn't want to look stupid.

I don't want to sound like I'm putting current members down, b/c there still are some really smart guys in here, but the sheer volume has completely changed the feel of the place, and many of the most impressive posters from the golden days really don't post much anymore, if at all.

Oh and btw, as good as Art was, he had an unfair advantage. If he sensed he was starting to lose a debate he would just threaten to ban his opponent! LOL.

well....we are all unique and varied in our approaches. save for those dedicated to character assassination alone...that is one of the glories of ES! wide latitude for tone/style.

as for looking stupid.....very few if any fit that category (certainly not you).....it's allowing one's self to be cowed into silence (for whatever reason) that towers as the greatest sin of all. a defining condition of your/my inheritance as an American is the right to speak our minds unfettered - except as taste, personal style and good citizenship demand. ES leadership has been pretty good about this (in Stadium anyway) while trying to bound the chaos to manageable volumes!

There isn't a mod/staff member who hasn't disappointed me or pissed me off at least once :)

DH

You forgot to add "or regular ES member". All of us have ticked you off at least once. Sometimes we intentionally do it just to watch the fall out. ;)

Wow this was a good read and it brought back a lot of memories and it makes me feel old. :doh: I miss y'all! We need to have a game/ tailgate where all of y'all get together again (staff old and new).

The part that needs to be added MTH is that the members of this board are closer than most other boards. We consider each other family and honestly I have made some amazing friendships all due to ES. Not a lot of people understand that as it does not happen on other message boards.

DH

You forgot to add "or regular ES member". All of us have ticked you off at least once. Sometimes we intentionally do it just to watch the fall out. ;)

Wow this was a good read and it brought back a lot of memories and it makes me feel old. :doh: I miss y'all! We need to have a game/ tailgate where all of y'all get together again (staff old and new).

The part that needs to be added MTH is that the members of this board are closer than most other boards. We consider each other family and honestly I have made some amazing friendships all due to ES. Not a lot of people understand that as it does not happen on other message boards.

Good point, Huly. And a lot of those friendships were greatly strengthened through the ES Tailgate, where members had the opportunity to meet in person. I think in a lot of ways, the ES tailgate has been a glue for many members. I think it has definitely added a sense of intimacy that we wouldn't have had otherwise.

I don't know much about the earlier ES tailgates though. If you want to give me a brief synopsis, I'll throw it in there. :)

Edited by Mark The Homer

I often find the truth is as diverse yet equally real as the images captured by and reflected from the surface of a spinning multi-facted mirrored disco-ball hanging over a large, heavily populated, and active dance floor, surrounded by flashing lights of myriad colors, located at varying vantage points, and changing with the music. Someday, to your great horror, I may explain that in even more detail. :evilg: :D
Disco's dead. let it go, man. :pfft:

Good point, Huly. And a lot of those friendships were greatly strengthened through the ES Tailgate, where members had the opportunity to meet in person. I think in a lot of ways, the ES tailgate was a glue for many members. I think it has definitely added a sense of intimacy that we wouldn't have had otherwise.

I don't know much about the earlier ES tailgates though. If you want to give me a brief synopsis, I'll throw it in there. :)

Actually the ES Tailgate was born from friendships made here on the board. We liked each other so much online we wanted to meet and hang out more. We all wanted a place where we could go to have a good time and enjoy fellow Redskins fans. The ES Tailgate was a collaboration of everyone here. Tarhog just helped Pez and I put a dream into a reality. I can create a brief history of it but without experiencing it words could not explain the friendships you will create and the atmosphere itself.

MTH you have been invited and begged to come join but we are just not good enough for you! :silly:

Actually the ES Tailgate was born from friendships made here on the board. We liked each other so much online we wanted to meet and hang out more. We all wanted a place where we could go to have a good time and enjoy fellow Redskins fans. The ES Tailgate was a collaboration of everyone here. Tarhog just helped Pez and I put a dream into a reality. I can create a brief history of it but without experiencing it words could not explain the friendships you will create and the atmosphere itself.

MTH you have been invited and begged to come join but we are just not good enough for you! :silly:

lol

I know. Well, I'm suffering from the same problem as Teddy833 and a bunch of others. We were already established with various people in various places prior to the "founding" of the ES Tailgate. :(

But I greatly enjoy the draft day thing, the summer picnic thing, the occasional away game thing, and of course, the every-home-game pre-lot-opening four-hour-long pre-tailgate tailgate thing. :silly:

Edit: I need to stop going "lol" now that we have the :ols: smilie back ....

Edited by Mark The Homer

Disco's dead. let it go, man. :pfft:

Disco is NOT dead. It merely waits patiently for rap to slip up and let down it's guard...at which point it will pounce in all it's platform soled, stretch-polyester bell-bottomed clothes glory.

And order will be restored to the universe. :D

Edited by BigRedskinDaddy

That was really cool. I've only been hear since 2007 so I havent seem the same dramatic changes that other, older members have. It is funny because I have always thought of this site as how it looks today. It is really cool that it started out independent and eventually got bought by the redskins organization.

Thanks for putting this together MTH.

It's good for the newbies to know the history and show some respect to some of the founding fathers (Art excluded) when they post.

I've been around for a while and am proud to say I contributed some $$$ in the early days.

It's good for the newbies to know the history and show some respect to some of the founding fathers (Art excluded) when they post.

I've been around for a while and am proud to say I contributed some $$$ in the early days.

Glad to see we're not above potshots!

lol

Why Art excluded? Or maybe I shouldn't ask. :silly:

:secret: check rule 5 before you answer

Man on June 23, 2000 I joined this site and I believe that was the first day possible to join the site. Initially I was member #7 but that changed with all those "software upgrades" through out the years. It's been 9 1/2 years of fun, argument, disappointment, unbelievable sadness and highs but I'd not give it up for anything. Thanks for the write up. HTTR

Edited by aREDSKIN

Disco is NOT dead. It merely waits patiently for rap to slip up and let down it's guard...at which point it will pounce in all it's platform soled, stretch-polyester bell-bottomed clothes glory.

And order will be restored to the universe. :D

It's still alive, it's just called "Electronic" now :pfft:

I honestly dont know what I would do without this site; been following since the TSN days and it has always been the first place I check for Skins news and info. Been quite a few changes over the years and I am always amazed at how many people it continues to attract. (So many that I dont bother posting often since so many opinions are quickly offered up.) Still have a couple of the extremeskins t-shirts and an extremeskins hat. (collectors items?) Havn't seen the fleece in years though.

As always, thanks again to all the mods and all the hard work behind the scenes.

lol

Why Art excluded? Or maybe I shouldn't ask. :silly:

:secret: check rule 5 before you answer

As I said to Al (62) earlier, perceptions often rule. :)

Ask Uncle Albert (Ellis). :silly:

You can be reading one ES-related view from some respected savvy ES vet and see another completely opposing one from someone equally credible. It all makes brain time a fun time. :pfft:

Thanks for the article MTH and to the Original 7 who made it happen, and the other staff who keep it going. This is an important link to me, especially being a long-time fan far from DC.

Just out of curiosity and ignorance, how was it that the player db couldn't be made to fit into the new vB? And am I right to think vB is Visual Basic code?

Seems to me that the data sit in the back end and the code tells the front end how to play with the data. Couldn't that be retrofitted to be compatible?

Was it a case of shedding an onerous task at a certain point in time? God knows that was a mammoth endeavor, and it looks like a pretty awesome db. Kudos on putting it together in the first place. It's just a shame that something so awesome (and I mean that in the strictest sense of the word) is no longer available through ES.

Hey MSF (the newer MSF) - my understanding, as I've posted earlier, is that the team wasn't particularly interested in adding custom hacks to their commercial software package - the reason being, it can cause instability at some point in the future, and also there is the risk of data loss during upgrades. Hacks are risky, and the team didn't want to take the risk. Can't really blame them.

That's my understanding.

Hey MSF (the newer MSF) - my understanding, as I've posted earlier, is that the team wasn't particularly interested in adding custom hacks to their commercial software package - the reason being, it can cause instability at some point in the future, and also there is the risk of data loss during upgrades. Hacks are risky, and the team didn't want to take the risk. Can't really blame them.

That's my understanding.

Thanks MTH. It's understandable but sad. Based on a few of the earlier posts I'm curious to see if someone else tries to pick this up and run with it.

Thanks MTH. It's understandable but sad. Based on a few of the earlier posts I'm curious to see if someone else tries to pick this up and run with it.
Well, they'd better get started because they have a whole lot of data entry to do.

And a fancy search routine to write.

:)

I have already backed up redskinsdb.com website to my computer in case he doesn't renew his domain and all that data is gone.

No fancy search routine needed. The site can be done in simple ASP with MS Access as the data source. It can also be done in PHP and MySql which I am not good with.

If someone can compile the data in Excel spreadsheet I can import it into a DB. I just don't have time to do both.

Thanks for the memory lane, I'm not really active in posting, but Extremeskins has been my home page since the beginning and it still does.

I've witnessed a lot of what's stated above as well as the continuous growth of this website.

I don't know but I'm probably the oldest non US member of this site and I've kept the same nickname (Novato = Rookie) since day 1 (in honor of Champ Bailey great rookie season).

I have not have the pleasure of meeting none of you guys, I attended the Houston game what, 2 years ago, but did not meet any ES members, I was wearing my ES cap (hey I still have it, as well as 3 black ES T-Shirts... color is pretty faded now but I love them).

I've some some friends depart this life (sadly) and some friends just depart, but we still here strong as ever.

Long Life for ExtremeSkins.com

Mauricio Alayola a.k.a. Novato

from Ciudad del Carmen, Campeche. Mexico.