Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BR: Minnesota Vikings Crush Dallas Cowboys: Dallas Overrated?

tr1

Adam Hankins

Written on January 18, 2010

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/328165-minnesota-vikings-crush-dallas-cowboys-dallas-overrated

After a 34-3 shellacking at the hands of the Minnesota Vikings, the truth was painfully clear about this season's Dallas Cowboys. Once again, as in many seasons past, the Cowboys were overrated.

For the entire week leading up to Sunday's game, we were bombarded by media experts proclaiming the Dallas Cowboys as the Super Bowl favorites. Somehow, the Cowboys find a way to become the media darlings year after year.

Matt Mosely of ESPN.com wrote a blog entry titled "The Beast Prediction: Cowboys Own Vikes." He wrote another called "Cowboys Own Favre in Postseason," where he pointed to statistics in the mid 1990s. Mosely claimed that Favre had some type of mental block with Cowboys which prevented him from playing well against them.

Pete Prisco of CBSSports.com wrote an article with the title "Cowboys Most Likely to Represent NFC in Super Bowl." The article's most telling statement was "they might be the third seed in the NFC playoffs, but there isn't a better team in the conference right now. And that includes the top two seeds, New Orleans and Minnesota."

Adam Schein of Foxsports.com, in his "Boom or Bust" column, pointed to the Vikings passing game as a bust against the Cowboys. In addition, he said that Brad Childress was a bust as the best coach in the game.

The list of media personalities who were hyping the Dallas Cowboys goes on and on. Not many were giving Minnesota a chance in the game, and most were saying the Cowboys would steamroll their way to the Super Bowl.

Now, after being decimated by the Vikings, most of the media seems shocked at how the Cowboys were put down. They must have forgotten how this same story plays out almost every year. The media hypes the Cowboys, the Cowboys become overrated, and then the Cowboys come up short in the big game.

Lost in the middle of all of this is how little credit a team like the Minnesota Vikings were getting. They were almost forgotten before this game, almost like they were only a stepping stone on the Cowboys' path to Super Bowl glory.

How do so many in the media continue to be blinded by the truth about the Cowboys? Objectivity in their reporting seems to go out the window as far as Dallas is concerned.

Maybe they have learned a valuable lesson this year about jumping on the Dallas bandwagon. On second thought, that's not likely. In 2010, even before the next season starts, I'm sure we'll be hearing about how the Cowboys are the favorites to win the Super Bowl.

Word to the wise: don't buy into the hype.

Let's recap, shall we?

The pukes were one of the healthiest teams in the NFL this year;

The pukes were 1-2 against playoff teams during the regular season;

The pukes beat the Eagles three times this year, twice at home in the final two weeks against a team decimated by injuries and with one of the historically worst qbs in pressure games;

Tony Romo sits to pee demonstrated once again, that when faced with adversity early in a game, he folds like a cheap suit, having three fumbles (two lost) and an INT;

While the pukes' d-line play improved, it's secondary is still quite vulnerable to the big play;

I'm sure I've missed a few...yet, the pukes were clear favorites to go to the SB...lost in the hype was Minny's extra week off, playing at home and Minny's outstanding d-line.

So much for journalism...

Now, after being decimated by the Vikings, most of the media seems shocked at how the Cowboys were put down. They must have forgotten how this same story plays out almost every year. The media hypes the Cowboys, the Cowboys become overrated, and then the Cowboys come up short in the big game.
The pukes beat the Eagles three times this year, twice at home in the final two weeks against a team decimated by injuries and with one of the historically worst qbs in pressure games;.

I wish people would stop using the word "decimated" incorrectly. It doesn't mean to destroy, beat unbelievably, etc. It means to reduce by one-tenth. Call me nutty but I don't believe the Vikings reduced the Cowboys by one-tenth and I don't believe the Eagle's roster was reduced by one-tenth because of injuries either.

HTTR

I wish people would stop using the word "decimated" incorrectly. It doesn't mean to destroy, beat unbelievably, etc. It means to reduce by one-tenth. Call me nutty but I don't believe the Vikings reduced the Cowboys by one-tenth and I don't believe the Eagle's roster was reduced by one-tenth because of injuries either.

HTTR

That may have been the original meaning of the word, but over the centuries it has taken on a wider definition that the narrow one you're insisting everyone stick to.

There is an article up at ESPN covered in this thread here:

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?t=316263

....that basically says the Cowboys may be SB favorites next season b/c of the way the were CRUSHED in the playoffs this season.

To answer the blogger's question... no. The Cowboys being overhyped and overrated by many in the sports media will not stop.

jesus, i can almost hear the slobber from your retainer.

i've heard of grammar nazi's, punctuation nazi's and ****.

now we got definition nazi's lolz

Let's recap, shall we?

The pukes were one of the healthiest teams in the NFL this year; correct

The pukes were 1-2 against playoff teams during the regular season;

wrong, the Cowboys were 3-2, please try to pay attention, I know you're not any good at it

The pukes beat the Eagles three times this year, twice at home in the final two weeks against a team decimated by injuries and with one of the historically worst qbs in pressure games;

The same team that you predicted would whip Dallas in the regular season, and then again in the playoffs. The Eagles were 11-3 against the rest of the NFL and were the hottest team in the NFC on a 6 game winning streak, until Dallas smacked them around

Tony Romo sits to pee demonstrated once again, that when faced with adversity early in a game, he folds like a cheap suit, having three fumbles (two lost) and an INT;Dallas was moving the ball pretty well until Flozell went down. At which point the Dallas offensive line was giving Romo sits to pee two seconds or less on almost every play. Pass blocking is and has been a weakness for Dallas that Romo sits to pee's scrambling ability often hides. Just ask Orakpo about the difficulties sacking Romo sits to pee

While the pukes' d-line play improved, it's secondary is still quite vulnerable to the big play; This is also false as anyone who would of watched Cowboys this year and has a brain would know. Dallas secondary didn't give up many big plays this season. They played less aggressive coverages and made sure to keep everything in front of them. Jenkins played like on of the top corners in the NFC, Newman is still very good when healthy and Sensebaugh was an upgrade at safety that helped Dallas have the #2 scoring defense in the NFL.

I'm sure I've missed a few...yet, the pukes were clear favorites to go to the SB...lost in the hype was Minny's extra week off, playing at home and Minny's outstanding d-line.the Viking D-line absolutely was the difference in this game. Once Flozell went down and the Cowboys had to slide protection to help Doug Free Columbo was completely overwhelmed. Coming off a broken leg he probably would of been replaced by Free, but once Adams went down and free was needed as the LT that was no longer an option.

So much for journalism...

Well it is clear that many of the analysts that have predicted the glory of the Cowboys were ex-Cowboys. Jimmy "Homer" Johnson is the biggest joke of being unbiased in his analysis. The Cowboys can have the worst QB and runningback in the league and he will still pick them. It is just like Bradshaw picking Pittsburg but the difference is Bradshaw will admit he was wrong but Johnson will do what all Cowboy ex-players, coaches and fans do and that is spin it to make it look favorable on the Cowboys. There is even a post on here that says "if history repeats itself, then the Cowboys are golden" or something like that. It compares the 1991 Cowboys with this years team. There may be similarities but only in stats and not in talent. How can you compare any of the RB's, WR's or Tony Romo sits to pee to Emmitt Smith, Troy Aikman or Michael Irvin? As much as I hate those players, I do have to acknowledge their talent level. Miles Austin is not anywhere near as talented as Irvin and Marion Barber could even hold Emmitt Smiths jockstrap and Romo sits to pee is not even close to Aikman in ability or talent. So stop comparing and giving them the benefit of the doubt because you will again be disappointed this year as all the years past. Remember Jerry Jones owns them.

2 wins vs Philly, 1 win vs New Orleans

1 loss vs SD, 1 loss vs GB

how so?

Dont ask TR1 to try and explian his math....just shake your head and go with the theory its that "new math" we hear people talk about....you know kind of like how he stated the boys would go 7-9....in his mind they still did

Dont ask TR1 to try and explian his math....just shake your head and go with the theory its that "new math" we hear people talk about....you know kind of like how he stated the boys would go 7-9....in his mind they still did

Math or no math, your team still sucked ass when it mattered. And you cannot deny the love your ****ty team got once they won a couple of games in December and one playoff game in the last 13 seasons.

So, because you finally win in December and one playoff game, the media claims that = Super Bowl for the Cowboys. Give me a ****ing break. If Dallas farts, the media puts them in the Super Bowl.

Math or no math, your team still sucked ass when it mattered. And you cannot deny the love your ****ty team got once they won a couple of games in December and one playoff game in the last 13 seasons.

So, because you finally win in December and one playoff game, the media claims that = Super Bowl for the Cowboys. Give me a ****ing break. If Dallas farts, the media puts them in the Super Bowl.

I smell jealousy.

Dont worry man, everything will get better I promise. Next year I bet the Redskins get 1 WHOLE Touchdown against Dallas.

Thats right, 1 Whole Touchdown buddy! wwwweeeeeeee

Posting phrases like "sucked ass" can get you punted for a week. :)

Per the content, while Mr. Jones did a solid enough rebuttal to the OP, I know the hardest thing to argue is the recent dependable cycle of the media hyping Dallas at some point every season and in various ways, usually more than merited, followed by Dallas falling short. That's not the same as saying they had a bad or medicore season, but it is a real pattern of the media.

The most important thing to most of us on ES, is that they keep failing as much as possible. :D

life is good :ols:

My footbal priorites go like this: #1 by a landslide (an understatement) of all activity/interest/care (good or bad as things may be) = Redskins. :helmet::logo::point2sky

#2: bad things for Dallas. :dallasuck

#3. All other NFL football matters with rotating/changing/varying levels of interest over time, teams, and individuals concerned. :D

Right now, as #3 is topical (play-offs/SB), #2 is greatly appreciated (absence of Dallas). :pfft:

wrong, the Cowboys were 3-2, please try to pay attention, I know you're not any good at it

Excuse me for forgetting the Eagles were a playoff team...I try to ignore impostors.

The same team that you predicted would whip Dallas in the regular season, and then again in the playoffs. The Eagles were 11-3 against the rest of the NFL and were the hottest team in the NFC on a 6 game winning streak, until Dallas smacked them around

I've said earlier that my admiration for DeSean had colored my pick...however, the Eagles in week 13 weren't the same team physically in week 16...or 17. They lost their starting center and DJ was injured...oh, and McNabb chokes in big games...what was I thinking?

Pass blocking is and has been a weakness for Dallas that Romo sits to pee's scrambling ability often hides. Just ask Orakpo about the difficulties sacking Romo sits to pee

You can try and try to make excuses for Romo sits to pee, but the fact is, his scrambling resulted in one of the worst INTs in NFL playoff history. And, when pressured, Favre was able to hold onto the ball. Romo sits to pee's turnovers lost the game. To blame it on anyone else is absurd. He had two opportunities to score early and failed. I knew it was over for the pukes then by the look on his face. I'm sure you could see it, too.

Dallas secondary didn't give up many big plays this season. They played less aggressive coverages and made sure to keep everything in front of them. Jenkins played like on of the top corners in the NFC, Newman is still very good when healthy and Sensebaugh was an upgrade at safety that helped Dallas have the #2 scoring defense in the NFL.

I guess you missed the part where I said the pukes' d-line improved. That masked the inadequacies of the secondary UNTIL they played a good qb...as they did when they played Rivers and Rodgers...oh, and Favre. ;) Pressure by a d-line hides a lot of secondary deficiencies. How the pukes failed to stop Rice for THREE TD's really shows competency in that secondary. :rolleyes:

Minny's outstanding d-line.the Viking D-line absolutely was the difference in this game. Once Flozell went down and the Cowboys had to slide protection to help Doug Free Columbo was completely overwhelmed. Coming off a broken leg he probably would of been replaced by Free, but once Adams went down and free was needed as the LT that was no longer an option.

The o-line didn't cough up the ball three times...Romo sits to pee did. Favre managed to handle the pressure...Romo sits to pee didn't.

Just the facts.

Well it is clear that many of the analysts that have predicted the glory of the Cowboys were ex-Cowboys. Jimmy "Homer" Johnson is the biggest joke of being unbiased in his analysis. The Cowboys can have the worst QB and runningback in the league and he will still pick them. It is just like Bradshaw picking Pittsburg but the difference is Bradshaw will admit he was wrong but Johnson will do what all Cowboy ex-players, coaches and fans do and that is spin it to make it look favorable on the Cowboys. There is even a post on here that says "if history repeats itself, then the Cowboys are golden" or something like that. It compares the 1991 Cowboys with this years team. There may be similarities but only in stats and not in talent. How can you compare any of the RB's, WR's or Tony Romo sits to pee to Emmitt Smith, Troy Aikman or Michael Irvin? As much as I hate those players, I do have to acknowledge their talent level. Miles Austin is not anywhere near as talented as Irvin and Marion Barber could even hold Emmitt Smiths jockstrap and Romo sits to pee is not even close to Aikman in ability or talent. So stop comparing and giving them the benefit of the doubt because you will again be disappointed this year as all the years past. Remember Jerry Jones owns them.

The parade of ex-puke and puke loving 'analysts' on national TV is overwhelming. It's no wonder football fans continue to be duped by those with connections to the team.

Archived