Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is the Pro Bowl before the Super Bowl really a good idea?

MattFancy

Scrap the Pro Bowl and bring back the College All-Star Game.

Super Bowl winner versus All-Star College team. Granted, the All-Stars only won a handful of times (9 of 43), I'd guess it would be a hell of a lot more interesting than the Pro Bowl.

Hmmmmmmmmmm!

You'd be playing college "grads", all trying desperately to improve their draft status! Going up against pros just trying not to get hurt in an exhibition.

I imagine it would be mostly bland like the Senior Bowl. But you could have a "Sean Taylor blasting the punter" moment here and there. And the Pros have pride, they're gonna try not getting embarrassed. Same with the college guys. Tempers flaring and...... Now THAT would be interesting! :munchout:

:secret: Superbowl-bound players won't attend the Pro-Bowl. No more risk to the other players than otherwise.

right, but aren't the 2 top teams usually have the most pro-bowl type players on them? Well, in theory? Except for the Jets? LOL.

Really though, lets take the Colts. As example, Manning, Clark, Wayne, Freeney and Saturday make the pro-bowl. They are headed to the SB. All those players MUST not attend the pro-bowl where they can have some fun, enjoy life AND still make some money because they are in route to the SB? That just doesn't seem fair, or a well thought out plan. GET RID of the NFL COMMISIONER!!!!!!!!!!!! Thats my :2cents:

Pro bowl players should be named and the game should be scrapped, its nothing more than flag ball afterall, most of the players have been away from the game for too long anyway, I never watch the proball game because it is the very definition of Vanilla

I totally agree.

And playing it before the Super Bowl is one of the dumbest things they NFL has ever done and the NFL is generally the smartest of all the sports.

football unlike baseball or hockey is not a sport that translates well to the all-star game format.

football requires too much coordination and is too violent a sport for these games to be compelling.

nobody is going to go all out to win these games or perform due to the potential threat of injury.

and the plays the teams can run on short notice with little prep are basic and produce a boring result.

I agree.

Name the all-star team and leave it at that.

right, but aren't the 2 top teams usually have the most pro-bowl type players on them? Well, in theory? Except for the Jets? LOL.

Really though, lets take the Colts. As example, Manning, Clark, Wayne, Freeney and Saturday make the pro-bowl. They are headed to the SB. All those players MUST not attend the pro-bowl where they can have some fun, enjoy life AND still make some money because they are in route to the SB? That just doesn't seem fair, or a well thought out plan. GET RID of the NFL COMMISIONER!!!!!!!!!!!! Thats my :2cents:

Just imagine if it's the Vikings. That's ten players and who knows how many alternates?

football unlike baseball or hockey is not a sport that translates well to the all-star game format.

football requires too much coordination and is too violent a sport for these games to be compelling.

nobody is going to go all out to win these games or perform due to the potential threat of injury.

and the plays the teams can run on short notice with little prep are basic and produce a boring result.

You make some good points.

Name the all-star team and leave it at that.

Everyone has all-stars; let's do something different and call it the all-pro team.

Every year guys who get named to the Pro Bowl don't play, regardless of whether they're actually hurt or not. I remember a few years back Tom Brady skipped it because of an "injury" and was seen playing some celebrity golf tournament the same day, so Super Bowl players skipping it is not a big deal for me. All things considered I don't think it's a terrible idea but I doubt it will make much difference either way.

Have they announced the 3rd AFC QB yet? I know Schaub and Young are going but who else? Does anyone else really deserve it? At least if it was the week after, Peyton Manning might still consider going. But since SB players can't play, that's what really hurts it.

No, but when you have the GOAT in the super bowl and Tom Brady pulls out and Carson Palmer is having Surgery you go to the next best which is Garrard.

Well they've gone through Manning, Brady, Rivers, Roethlisberger, and Plamer. Schaub is a good choice since he was the leading passer in the league. I understand Vince Young, but he didn't even play the first 6 games. Just shows how much the players care about the Pro Bowl.

Well they've gone through Manning, Brady, Rivers, Roethlisberger, and Plamer. Schaub is a good choice since he was the leading passer in the league. I understand Vince Young, but he didn't even play the first 6 games. Just shows how much the players care about the Pro Bowl.

The bolded declined the Pro Bowl and like I said Palmer said no because of surgery on his thumb. But yeah most players aren't interested in playing in the Pro Bowl. I can understand not wanting to risk injury in a meaningless game.

The bolded declined the Pro Bowl and like I said Palmer said no because of surgery on his thumb. But yeah most players aren't interested in playing in the Pro Bowl. I can understand not wanting to risk injury in a meaningless game.

I don't blame them either. But it just shows that moving it up a week doesn't make a difference. All this does is give the fans something to watch in between the Conference Championships and the Super Bowl. The players aren't that into it, even though they don't have to travel as far. They just need to get rid of it and have a skills competition.

I don't blame them either. But it just shows that moving it up a week doesn't make a difference. All this does is give the fans something to watch in between the Conference Championships and the Super Bowl. The players aren't that into it, even though they don't have to travel as far. They just need to get rid of it and have a skills competition.

Agreed 100%. If they are going to do the Pro Bowl they should at least have it in Hawai. It gives the players a bit of a vacation and it lets them have fun. After all isn't that what the Pro Bowl is about fun? I always liked the skills competition and so did most of the people I talked to. I dunno why they don't bring it back.

Agreed 100%. If they are going to do the Pro Bowl they should at least have it in Hawai. It gives the players a bit of a vacation and it lets them have fun. After all isn't that what the Pro Bowl is about fun? I always liked the skills competition and so did most of the people I talked to. I dunno why they don't bring it back.

I the the skills competition is a great idea. I mean the game is basically flag football anyway. So just do away with it and bring back the old QB challenges they had back in the day. Have a fastest man race, have a FG kicking contest, and like a WR contest. More players would probably be interested in that and more people would watch.

Just looking at the probowl rosters, 7 Saints and 7 Colts were on there. I guess you can look at it different ways.

One would be, great, I know of 14 guys that should have made it, but got snubbed, so heres their chance.

Another would be, those 14 guys should not be probowlers and wouldnt be if the probowl was after the superbowl like always.

I mean hey, im glad Fletch is going, but I think they should put it back in Hawaii and after the superbowl.

Archived