Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is the Pro Bowl before the Super Bowl really a good idea?

MattFancy

I love the Pro Bowl! Its big deal for the football fans here on the islands. Sucks they send games to rainy London instead of here, then take away the only one we do get. We don't have the luxury of seeing games live like most of you guys, hell we have to get up at 6am to watch the Sunday games. Doesn't make sense having it before the Super Bowl, for obvious reasons, but moving it is even worse.

Pro bowl players should be named and the game should be scrapped, its nothing more than flag ball afterall, most of the players have been away from the game for too long anyway, I never watch the proball game because it is the very definition of Vanilla

I wouldn't want to play flag football with Sean Taylor :)

The Pro Bowl before the Super Bowl, and not in Hawaii, is a HORRIBLE idea. The best players will (usually) be on the best teams, and those teams will be in the Super Bowl. None of those players on those teams, like you said, will be playing in the game.

And I do watch when the Redskins are in there. Saw the Taylor hit live, and I'll never forget it!

Agreed! Gotta have the game after the super bowl so all players selected can participate. The game is a joke but I do watch it more when the Skins are represented.

Cancel the Pro Bowl and a pre season game and add two more to the regular season.

I would like to cancel the Pro Bowl and replace it with a game for young NFL players...maybe even all rookies. It would give them more experience and exposure, and I would bet it would help their development.

Of course in years past, the probowl was played after the Super Bowl. With the game now being played before the Super Bowl, players who play on Super Bowl teams will have to sit out to insure their healthiness for the Super Bowl and thus, can't play in the probowl. But that's not really altogether a bad thing as it gives someone else who has had a great year to replace them on the rosters. To me, it really doesn't matter if the probowl game is played before or after the Super Bowl.

No, it should be played after the Super Bowl just as before.

This is ridiculous with the players who are taking the spots of players who took the spots of other players, etc etc.

Not that the Pro Bowl is all that exciting anyways, but the honor is good to have for the players.

I like it... It entices fans to come to the host city a few days earlier to support the economy (because that's why cities like the Super Bowl)... I'm sure MAYBE 2% of Hawai'i's Pro Bowl attendance were people who flew down JUST for the game... I scheduled my south Florida trip for Pro Bowl weekend for the fact rather than my birthday weekend at the end of February... Plus it's a way for "common" fans to experience a game of the best players in the NFL...

This game is a testament to the fact that it's not an individual game... It's a team sport... Either that or the unstoppable object is greater than the immovable force...

Always liked this idea. The Pro-Bowl used to be an afterthought to the Super Bowl. This year, there will be more interest in the game, which is the big benefit. It is a shame that the Super Bowl players don't go, but they are in the Super Bowl; so what do they care?

Who cares? I rarely watched the pro bowl anyways. The most popular players in the NFL playing a game that matters less than the games in week 17 of the Regular season. At least it gives us something to watch during the week that was previously void of football.

How about scraping the Pro Bowl in favor of an NFL Draft Bowl in which all the top college players declaring NFL intentions for the coming year play so we can get a look at them? As far as excitement, I put the Pro Bowl in the same category as preseason games. It's also a good way to get injured in a meaningless game.

Who cares? I rarely watched the pro bowl anyways. The most popular players in the NFL playing a game that matters less than the games in week 17 of the Regular season. At least it gives us something to watch during the week that was previously void of football.

+1

really over rated game. When it was first shown over here it was llke 'WOW! the PRO BOWL!' then fans watched it and thought 'oh...its the Pro Bowl...' Its nice to see our players recognised like Orakpo but why this end of season NFL version of a soccer 'friendly' is rated so highly is beyond me.

How about scraping the Pro Bowl in favor of an NFL Draft Bowl in which all the top college players declaring NFL intentions for the coming year play so we can get a look at them? As far as excitement, I put the Pro Bowl in the same category as preseason games. It's also a good way to get injured in a meaningless game.

How about if we take only the best seniors in the country and watch them play? We could call it the Senior Bowl or something.

I say ship the game off to London. That way you can eliminate the regular season games.

I like that idea. Then we will know if the players really like playing in London or if that they were just saying it just to say it. It would probably make more money too.

I kind of want the Colts to play in the Superbowl just so that we can find out who the next man up is.

From SI's Peter King:

1. The continuing downward spiral of the Pro Bowl. It's almost like it's a punishment to have to play in it. If Peyton Manning wins Sunday, that will mean that eight of the 16 quarterbacks in the AFC this year can call themselves 2009 Pro Bowlers. The three voted in were Manning, Tom Brady, Philip Rivers. Brady and Rivers bowed out because of injury, as did the first alternate, Ben Roethlisberger, though none of them missed any time because of their injuries late in the season. Then came Matt Schaub; he'll play. Then Carson Palmer; he won't because of thumb surgery on his non-throwing hand. Then Vince Young, who started all of 10 games this year. As I said on Twitter the other day, I bet Bruce Gradkowski's next.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/peter_king/01/22/gameplan/1.html

And now its being reported that Brian Cushing is pulling out of the game as well.

Scrap the Pro Bowl and bring back the College All-Star Game.

Super Bowl winner versus All-Star College team. Granted, the All-Stars only won a handful of times (9 of 43), I'd guess it would be a hell of a lot more interesting than the Pro Bowl.

From SI's Peter King:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/peter_king/01/22/gameplan/1.html

And now its being reported that Brian Cushing is pulling out of the game as well.

Add Ed Reed to the list of probable scratches.

Lol, the eighth best qb out of 16 could end up representting the AFC. No one will be able to argue that the Pro-bowl isn't mediorce.

Was Gradkowski on the ballot? I would have thought it would have been Russell

Anyway, I'm hoping it's Joe Flacco. ;)

Also: Carson Palmer is made of porcelain. Is he on his fifth surgery in four years?

Super Bowl winner versus All-Star College team. Granted, the All-Stars only won a handful of times (9 of 43), I'd guess it would be a hell of a lot more interesting than the Pro Bowl.

Did they really used to do that?

How about putting the college all starts against the worst team in the NFL? This year it would be the Rams. Lol, Kyle Boller might start.

I like that, maybe the SB losers would be a better choice, they'd be motivated to really kick some ass.

Archived