Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Best Redskin past thirty years....

Looking For Number Four

I realize you already conceded I just wanted to touch on this subject anyway. Revis in no way compares to Sean Taylor as they play different positions but Revis is as lockdown a corner as there are in the NFL. This season Revis gave up an average of 30 < yards to opposing team's top recievers. He essentially takes away the opposing teams best WR.

Sean Taylor was a great player. Unfortunately his career just didn't last long enough for him to be placed among the best of the past 30 years.

Granted I didn't get to see most of the greats play based on what I've read I'm going to say Green, Monk, and Grimm are all up there. Hopefully after this year they'll all have ugly jackets to show for it.

Of course not, Revis led the league is press breakup by 6, he does get away with a good bit a bump and grind past the 5 yards zone. I suppose most corners do. But having one less INT than Revis after only playing 9 games as a safety..... To me, that is freaking woah... Then the year before he racks up 114 tackles, which would have tied him for 3rd this season. If he were playing this season I think we would insert him into the discussion is all I'm saying. He is not, he did not get to play long enough, I agree with not debating him and Green. Samuels and Riggins on the other hand.....

My favorite Redskins from the '80s-on are Darrell Green, Sean Taylor, Art Monk, Jim Lachey, Mark Schlereth, and Champ Bailey. Chip Lohmiller would get an honorable mention, along with maybe Ken Harvey and London Fletcher.

But my vote for best is Darrell Green, no doubt. :)

Just realized Dave Butz, one of my dad's favorites, is listed as a [G] guard on that chart. Oops! :)

Best in the last 30? So that makes it starting in 1980.

Let's see, Riggins held out that season and was average in the 81 season as well as below average during the 82 season and average once more in his final season of 1985. Does he deserve to be listed on the best Redskins of the last 30 years for his work (largely thanks to the Oline) in basically 2 seasons and a playoff run? Not in my book.

If coaches are included, of course the answer is Joe Gibbs (1.0 only).

If not coaches and only players, I think it has to be Darrell Green because of longevity and the fact that he remained at a high level up through the 1999 season. That is 17 seasons of high level/elite level play at corner. That will never be matched.

It would have to be Joe Gibbs, followed by Darrell Green and then Ritchie Petitbon. Without Gibbs and Petitbon, we wouldn't be talking about three Lombardi trophies. Darrell Green woudl probably be the best Redskins player over the 30 years because he has played 2/3 of the time frame that was stated in the OP.

The purpose of this post was to point out the absence of QB in the discussion. Sure Okung makes a lot of sense, sheer sacks alone, apart from the paltry run game, makes the o-line the most detrimental part of our franchise. Perhaps G. McCoy would give us something similiar to MIN's Williams wall enabling us to control the clock from eliminating opposing run games and make teams one demensional. Perhaps trading down gives us the picks we need to get younger and layer the team with some depth.

With all of that being said, could the arrivial of the next Peyton Manning forever change this team for a decade. Is Bradford or Claussen that guy? If I could answer that question I would be the richest person on Earth and certainly not be typing this. But what if one of them are and we don't take one of them. Maybe the fact that NE and IND gave up the least amount of sacks last year is the result of awareness. Seeing, reading, and knowing what is going to happen before it happens and making teams pay as a result. Blitzing these guys almost always costs teams a big play. If the o-line were big, talented, and stout....would that really change the fact Campbell just does not see what they see?

If one of them is drafted and does become the next Peyton....life is going to be really good for quite a while.

:wave:

gotta be green. he might be the best redskin to ever play the game. i cant think of another guy in redskin history that was considered top 5 at his position aside from him.

Ummm...Sorry DG was very good but he was not the best Redskin ever, hands down.

Passed for 21,887 yds with 187 passing tds

Punted 338 punts for 15,245 yds, 85 yd long, 9 blocked, 45 y/p avg

31 Interceptions for 491 yds, 74 yd long

6 Pro Bowls

4 time First Team All Pro

Hall of Famer, First Class, First Time (without a doubt)

Sir, let me introduce to Slinging Sammy Baugh. Sammy was the best in THREE positions, on BOTH OFFENSE AND DEFENSE. He was also very humble and quite a nice guy.

I can't pick one player. So, I'm saying "The Hogs". Without them everything changes. Riggins doesn't get as many yards, Monk doesn't get as many passes thrown his way. The defense is on the field longer & Green probably doesn't have as great a career. "The Hogs" were the main reason for the success of the Redskins.

Archived