Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Best Redskin past thirty years....

Looking For Number Four

http://www.redskins.com/gen/articles/Pro_Bowl_1390.jsp

This is a list of those who made a Pro Bowl which could help filter it down a bit, obviously Fletcher deserves to be in the conversation and is not on list...as are probably numerous others.

Samuels leads in Pro Bowls and has been a staple at the position for most of his career. Darrell Green was my favorite when I was younger, his play still sticks in the forefront of my mind. LaVar certainly did plenty during his tenure to wreck havoc of opponents. Riggins bulldozer run might be the most franchise changing play in semi-recent history. Portis and Davis were/are legitmate franchise RBs for years. Art Monk set the bar in catching everything that came remotely close to you. Then there is the wall of hogs....

Just flat out, at their position, the most dominant while in Redskins uniform. Would love to mix in as much stats as possible, certainly not necessary though.

List of the Top 70 Redskins, all-time:

http://redskins.bridgelinesw.net/gen/articles/70_Greatest_Redskins_1373.jsp

Since 1980?

Art Monk, Darrell Green, John Riggins, Russ Grimm, or Sean Taylor.

The others make sense except for Sean Taylor. Sorry, I liked the guy he was a really good player, but he wasn't one of the best Redskins of the last 30 years.

I'd say Darrell Green and then Riggins or Monk.

Looks like Green is going to run away with this...

Really surprised at the absence of love for Samuels.... Portis ran almost exclusively behind him last season to leading the league in rushing, over AP or All Day or whatever, until week 12. He has 6 Pro Bowls in 8 seasons, removing last season, which is only behind Ken Houston and Green.

http://www.redskins.com/gen/players/Chris_Samuels.jsp

The others make sense except for Sean Taylor. Sorry, I liked the guy he was a really good player, but he wasn't one of the best Redskins of the last 30 years.

I'd say Darrell Green and then Riggins or Monk.

Sean Taylor had 78 tackles, 4 INTs, and 15 PD as a rookie. He racked up 114 tackles the year before being shot. He had 5 INTs in 9 games during his final season..... Revis has 6 INTs in 16 games while finishing second, behing Woodson, as defensive player of the year. What really blew my mind about Taylor was that he would switch between free saftey and strong saftey without any problem and be elite at either. Typically, you are wither Ed Reed with tons of INTs and barely any tackles or your are Dawkins...

Here is breakdown of all DBs this past season:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/stats/playersort/NFL/DB-TACKLES/2009/regular

Sean Taylor had 78 tackles, 4 INTs, and 15 PD as a rookie. He racked up 114 tackles the year before being shot. He had 5 INTs in 9 games during his final season..... Revis has 6 INTs in 16 games while finishing second, behing Woodson, as defensive player of the year. What really blew my mind about Taylor was that he would switch between free saftey and strong saftey without any problem and be elite at either. Typically, you are wither Ed Reed with tons of INTs and barely any tackles or your are Dawkins...

You can't say he was one of the best over the last 30 years when he only played 4 years. Was he good? Yes! Could he have been one of the best Redskins of all-time, YES! But to say he's one of the best Redskins of the last 30 years just seems a little far fetched.

You can't say he was one of the best over the last 30 years when he only played 4 years. Was he good? Yes! Could he have been one of the best Redskins of all-time, YES! But to say he's one of the best Redskins of the last 30 years just seems a little far fetched.

Fair enough, I see your point, I will concede. But I adamantly believe he would have undoubtedly be in the top 5 of this conversation had what happened not happened.

Fair enough, I see your point, I will concede. But I adamantly believe he would have undoubtedly be in the top 5 of this conversation had what happened not happened.

I don't disagree with that either. I'm just saying, if you're going to put him up against guy like Green, Riggins, Monk, Clark, Gibbs, the Hogs, etc. He doesn't even compare. Maybe if it was a greatest Redskins of the past 10 years, then you could consider him.

I realize you already conceded I just wanted to touch on this subject anyway. Revis in no way compares to Sean Taylor as they play different positions but Revis is as lockdown a corner as there are in the NFL. This season Revis gave up an average of 30 < yards to opposing team's top recievers. He essentially takes away the opposing teams best WR.

Sean Taylor was a great player. Unfortunately his career just didn't last long enough for him to be placed among the best of the past 30 years.

Granted I didn't get to see most of the greats play based on what I've read I'm going to say Green, Monk, and Grimm are all up there. Hopefully after this year they'll all have ugly jackets to show for it.

Joe Gibbs, hands down. He did more for this organization than anyone else I can think of in the past 30 years. Close seconds come to Bugel and DG.

I hope that Big Dan has learned the error of his ways and that in 20 years we can answer Dan Snyder. He has the potential to make that type of franchise changing swing. If he is schrewd, plays his cards right, and the winds of change blow a little luck our way we can be a powerhouse for years to come.

Wish for this the next time you toss a penny in a fountain. It wont hurt...

Archived