Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Forget OT for a moment - what the Redskins really need is a Center

E-Dog Night

I'm right there with you. Rabach is horrible. He gets pushed around like he's not even there and shoved into the quarterback's face which forces him to slide left or right into a rushing defensive end or blitzer, can't go a game without one or two ridiculous holds, can't block very well, and is remembered for his first year rather than his last.

I wanted to trade down for Mack in the first just to replace this guy.

Take a stop-gap center. Anyone who is NOT Rabach will work just fine for me.

While I wouldnt go THAT far, we need a new center, badly. In fact outside of Dock (who was ok last year) we need a new guy at every position.

i have always wondered why his blitz pickup calls have never been scrutinized. Our blitz pickup has largely been horrible his entire tenure here. Our defense always faces offenes that has better blitz pickups than we do, for whatever its worth. And some of that was Blache, sure. But Rabach is old news. Once Zorn made him adjust his stance so that it didnt look like Jason was squating to take a dump on every play, he lost his ability to play low. When you cant play low, you blow.

It's clear that our offensive woes start with our Center position.

Too many times blitzers come untouched to our QB. More often then not, it's right up the gut. He can't read defenses and isn't that great of a blocker.

We need a Center as badly as a left tackle and more importantly then a right guard.

sometimes i wonder what you're watching.

rabach consistently gets driven 3 yards into his backfield. he commits crucial holding penalties.

he was solid when we brought him in in '04. he had 1 maybe 2 solid years for us. he's horrible now.

Given that Rabach wasn't with us in '04, I wonder what your watching?

:silly:

yeah b/c a guy who played all 16 games last year and who is very durable is our biggest concern on the offensive line at this point. Some of you people think we have 5 picks in the first two rounds

It's not as hard to get centers fairly late in the draft. That 4th round pick would be a great place to get a center who's still a top 3 prospect. The 4th round is a decent place to grab a multi-year starting center, with some chance of pulling a very, very good prospect.

Williams was viewed as a long term solution by Vinny, Danny, and Zorn. The same guys that let Bridges go, who went on to do very well in the playoffs. So....

Bridges did not play well at all at tackle here in preseason, and that was obvious to outside observers that he wasn't cutting it, so it is kinda hard to blame the Skins for cutting him.

As for Williams, I know Buges liked him, but I didn't hear anything about him being considered the future at center.

The OTs have been so pathetic that fans don't notice how Rabach gets pushed back into the backfield frequently, the holding penalties or the bad snaps while we are in the shotgun.

ND, I've been saying it for a while now to a friend of mine. Rabach was so horrible in the MNF game against the Eagles, and the bad snap took the cake for me. Also how about the 2008 game vs Dallas down in Irving, where Randle-El scored and it was called back because of Rabach being called for holding. Center is another pressing need for this team.

yeah b/c a guy who played all 16 games last year and who is very durable is our biggest concern on the offensive line at this point. Some of you people think we have 5 picks in the first two rounds

Rabach is a UFA and might not be with the team, so the Redskins will have to replace him no matter what, unless they re-sign him. I think center will be a good choice with the one 2nd round pick the Redskins have, if it is one of the two guys I mentioned.

My main point was that with all the new faces that are sure to be on the OL next year, having a good center will go a long way to bringing the unit together quickly. It's more of a concern than most people realize IMO.

i have always wondered why his blitz pickup calls have never been scrutinized. Our blitz pickup has largely been horrible his entire tenure here. Our defense always faces offenes that has better blitz pickups than we do, for whatever its worth. And some of that was Blache, sure. But Rabach is old news. Once Zorn made him adjust his stance so that it didnt look like Jason was squating to take a dump on every play, he lost his ability to play low. When you cant play low, you blow.

This a point that I hadn't really thought about, but should be discussed more. Rabach slip in play didn't really occur until Zorn made him change his stance. Now Rabach is not exactly a tall offensive lineman, but he's not a short center either. I think that Zorn may have unintentionally sacrificed performanced at OC to help JC. Worth thinking about and discussing before we throw Rabach under the bus.

That being said, he's a unrestricted free agent and its not worth it to sign him as a stop gap. I think our best bet is to target Matt Tennant in the 4th. He's a BC product and Jeff Jagodzinski is rumored to be our next line coach. Tennant has experience in Jagodzinski's ZBS and could possibly come in right away and start.

Let Tennant and Edwin Williams compete for that starting OC spot. There's even the possibility that they both play well enough to earn starting spots on the revamped offensive line. They actually both come from the ZBS because Maryland also runs that scheme.

Either way, now is a good time to find our center of the future. JC is in his last year so let him deal with the growing pains of the first year starter. When Bradford steps in for the 2011 season, he'll have a young center that has already taken his bumps and bruises and gotten real game experience.

Also, center is the second most important position on your offensive line. I've heard a few draft pundits really down on this year's tackle class. Kiper even said this isn't the year to draft a franchise tackle. Okung seems like the only guy who can play LT without a doubt, but he's not a Walter Jones and Ogden level as far as potential so probably not worth the #4 pick. Guys like Bulaga, Anthony Davis, and Bruce Campbell have potential on the left, but may be more suited to be very athletic RTs. Considering that we run a ZBS, it may be especially hard for them to play LT for us. Charles Brown would fit a ZBS, but his questions about toughness, strength and size make him a question mark too for a high draft pick.

The point to all of this is that we should spend resources and make our priority to be solving our center opening. We can get a 1st round LT candidate in next year's draft if we can't find a mid-round, free agent, or UDFA candidate in 2010.

You need a center that goes 315 at least in today's NFL. Rabach doesn't even reach 300. They need to be able to handle all the NT's in the game.

That's what you need for a power running scheme that's about dominating your man. The ZBS is more about line movement. Many times, those fat NTs will be behind the stretch plays or their size will hinder them against the cutbacks.

That's what you need for a power running scheme that's about dominating your man. The ZBS is more about line movement. Many times, those fat NTs will be behind the stretch plays or their size will hinder them against the cutbacks.

Correct. What I would like to see is a Center that is athletic enough to lead the scheme but still strong enough not to get mowed over by a 350lb NT if he gets stuck one on one.

I know, I'm basically asking for the perfect Center. ;)

Archived