Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Forget OT for a moment - what the Redskins really need is a Center

E-Dog Night

Looking up info on Lichtensteiger, he looks like a good choice. It looks like he was the victim of Denver going away from the zone blocking scheme, since it seems like his game is better suited for zone blocking.

Vikings fans seemed to like the choice when they picked him up last year:

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=343265

great find *thelongshot*

He was second only to Jake Long in terms of his nasty streak in that draft, he's a beast in the run game, has good lateral quickness and is built with a low center of gravity and tremendous power. His knocks coming out of the draft were short arms and he looks awkward and clumsy in space. All you need to know is that his career blocking success rating was over 85% in college. Jake Long's was 82%. Kory was easily my favorite center in his class. He was and still is criminally underrated in my opinion and he will serve the Vikings well if he's needed. He can play center and guard equally well.

We need to replace at least 2 starters on the OL and the center is one of them. Just not a lot available this year, maybe someone decent gets released.

With Lichtensteiger signed and Dockery coming back, that leaves LOT, ROT and ROG to go.

And I'm not too confident of us getting a starter via FA that is better than what we just signed with Lichtensteiger.

While I wouldn't go so far as saying "forget OT", I definitely agree... Rabach has been below average for far too long. What's interesting is he has looked better this year than in recent ones, though it may be due to the general awfulness of the guys around him, lol.

Or it could be Dockery who has helped elevate his play... who knows. All I know is I have studied plenty of plays since he's been here over and over and he's consistently been the guy causing problems for us up the middle. I made some threads at the beginning of this year analyzing our preseason play and I mentioned numerous times how poorly Rabach is playing and that "he's going to get Jason killed".

With Lichtensteiger signed and Dockery coming back, that leaves LOT, ROT and ROG to go.

I think we have enough candidates on the roster that I don't think finding a starter at RG will be a problem.

And I'm not too confident of us getting a starter via FA that is better than what we just signed with Lichtensteiger.

While he has promise, he hasn't done jack in the league. I'm not ready to anoint him as Rabach's successor just yet.

Rabach is a smart player, true, but he gets pushed around and run through like a sieve. next. If he can be replaced he should be.

Which makes him a great back up, but not a starter. I'm hoping we can find his replacement. We should give Will Montgomery a chance to take over for him.

Or it could be Dockery who has helped elevate his play... who knows. All I know is I have studied plenty of plays since he's been here over and over and he's consistently been the guy causing problems for us up the middle. I made some threads at the beginning of this year analyzing our preseason play and I mentioned numerous times how poorly Rabach is playing and that "he's going to get Jason killed".

Rabach is only as good as the players around him. People recognize that he often can't do it himself and often needs the help of the guards on either side of him. I'm sure the revolving door that was the RG position didn't help him.

Agreed (on Bubba AND Rabach).

Then again, there aren't very many people who watch the games like we do :)

But it's always the people with the least amount of knowledge.... that yell the loudest and most frequent.

:rotflmao:tru dat! LOL

The Redskins need a good center. Badly. Casey Rabach is, I believe, a UFA and at any rate he isn't getting it done anymore. Will Montgomery is listed as the backup on the Redskins depth chart. Yikes.

KEVIN MAWAE

If healthy, the guy is a beast. His leadership skills and his smarts are unquestioned. Was just elected president of the player's union, which shows you what other players think of his smarts and leadership ability. Probably a great stop gap solution until a draft pick can be found....

...which really ought to be one of these next two juniors, whether they declare for the NFL draft this season or stay for the senior year. If they come out this year there's a good chance one or both will be available when the Redskins pick 5th in round 2.

STEFEN WISNIEWSKI

KRIS O'DOWD

Good thread OP.

I agree that the Skins could upgrade at Center.

I thought that Rabach game has been slipping since 2008.

I think it was easier to see Rabach getting pushed back or requiring help then because he was between a healthy Randy Thomas (for a short while) and Pete Kendell.

But now the OL is in such shambles it often appears that no one holds their ground and multiple players are getting beaten or pushed back.

So it makes it harder to see Rabach faults, but they are there.

But, as bad as our OL has become i think Rabach is serviceable.

He's the elder member on the line and makes the line calls.

Also, i think that Edwin Williams could be a suitable replacement if not an outright improvement over Rabach at some point next year.

Edwin ,a natural Center, comes from the Terp pipeline which has produced some good NFL OL.

Edwin answered the call when he was thrown in there at RG and did a better job imo then Will Montgomery and was at least as good as Rhinehart and Williams.

*Full disclosure i'm a terp grad, but objective.

Williams could be another UDFA OL Bugel molded from the ground up into a NFL caliber player.

I think were much more desperate at the OT then at center.

We already have a stop-gap Center in Rabach and imo a prospect with some upside in Williams.

I would give them a shot before i spend a draft pick or FA money on a C.

It would be akin to replacing Kendell with Dockery last offseason; was it an improvement? Yes, but did it really help the areas of need (OT)?

More on Edwin:

C

Edwin

Williams

Select a Player Albright, Ethan Alexander, Lorenzo Alridge, Anthony Armstrong, Anthony Barnes, Kevin Bartel, Richard Betts, Ladell Blades, H.B. Bowen, Alvin Brennan, Colt Campbell, Jason Carter, Andre Cartwright, Rock Collins, Todd Cooley, Chris Daniels, Phillip Davis, Fred Dockery, Derrick Doughty, Reed Dutch, Doug Fanaika, Paul Fletcher, London Gano, Graham Ganther, Quinton Gatewood, Curtis Golston, Kedric Griffin, Cornelius Hall, DeAngelo Haynesworth, Albert Henson, Robert Heyer, Stephon Hill, P.J. Holmes, Lendy Holmes, Antoine Horton, Chris Jackson, Rob Jarmon, Jeremy Jones, Levi Kelly, Malcolm Landry, LaRon Mason, Marcus McCauley, Marcus McIntosh, Rocky Mitchell, Marko Montgomery, Anthony Montgomery, Will Moore, Kareem Moss, Santana Oldenburg, Clint Orakpo, Brian Portis, Clinton Rabach, Casey Randle El, Antwaan Rinehart, Chad Robinson, William Robinson, James Rogers, Carlos Samuels, Chris Sellers, Mike Skolnitsky, J.D. Smith, Hunter Smoot, Fred Thomas, Devin Thomas, Randy Tryon, Justin Vickers, Lee Westbrook, Byron Williams, Eddie Williams, Edwin Williams, Mike Wilson, Chris Wynn, Renaldo Yoder, Todd Young, Darrel

ProfileBoxTop.gif

38744.jpg

Position:CenterHeight:6-3Weight:315Born:12/10/86How Acquired:FA-09Experience:RCollege:MarylandHigh School:DeMatha High School

Here's his college scouting report:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2009/profiles/edwin-williams?id=81881

Combine Results:

40 Yard Dash : 5.5 seconds

Bench Press : 22.0 reps

Vertical Jump : 28.5 inches

Broad Jump : 99.0 inches

3 Cone Drill : 8.15 seconds

20 Yard Shuttle : 4.98 seconds

Overview

Williams was a stout, hard-working, durable three-year starter in the pivot for the Terps who capped off his career with a first-team All-ACC season in 2008. Not only is he the leader of the offensive line on the field, but his coaches are very high on his attitude and off-field leadership abilities. Williams is not an elite athlete, but his strength and fair footwork for his size is not lost on scouts, even in a decade-best class of centers. Had an arm span of 34 1/2 inches and a hand span of 9 1/2 inches at the combine.

Analysis

Positives: Durable, high-effort center. Good initial quickness off the snap. Good hand placement and flashes the lateral quickness to stay square to the defender. Alert. Makes the line calls and is quick to pick up unexpected blitzes. Good initial pop and can turn the defender to create a hole. Shows some agility as a run blocker. Can move in space and block at the second level and on screens. Comfortable snapping out of the shotgun. High character guy. Competitive with a good work ethic; always hustling and positive-thinking leader.

Negatives: Relies on his initial foot quickness to turn defenders in the running game, but struggles to sustain. Only phone booth quickness. Quickly tires and lacks straight-line speed. Lunges at defenders at the second level, too often getting just a piece of them. Good initial pop as a pass blocker, but can be wrestled to the ground. High effort, but is a limited athlete who can be beaten

Archived