Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A scouting report on the top 5 qb's available in the draft.(many links included)

x96bryan10

Have you ever participated in a political poll?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever participated in a political poll?

• Yes, I have been contacted and I did participate
    • No, I have been contacted and did not participate
    • I have never been contacted to participate in a poll

I agree we need a QB to build around........but we will be in a worse situation than we are in now if we draft a QB that isnt going to be any good.....

Big Ben, Rivers, Eli, Peyton, Ryan.........hell even Sanchez.....those guys were pretty much "sure" things.........

Bradford......is a possible.....but not likely......in my opinon....we need to wait until the sure thing guys are there......or else its just pointless.

OH, come on..."sure thing"? Sanchez has a QB rating of 63.0!! Bradford is much more touted than Roethlisberger or Sanchez coming out. Do you remember how much love Alex Smith and Ryan Leaf got!

I never like to drop the "sure thing". You never know. But I do agree that the likely hood of drafting a top tier QB gives you the best chances of drafting a franchise QB and history shows us this.

I would bet given his injury history and the fact that he runs a spread offense, Bradford could be around in the second round for the Skins.

People are too quick to lean on the spread offense excuse. I can't tell you how many clips of his highlights show him taking snaps from under center and REALLY selling play action. He has EXCELLENT footwork and has a great fundamentals.

Other than Claussen, he is as pro ready as they get without coming from a traditional pro style offense.

I agree we need a QB to build around........but we will be in a worse situation than we are in now if we draft a QB that isnt going to be any good.....

Big Ben, Rivers, Eli, Peyton, Ryan.........hell even Sanchez.....those guys were pretty much "sure" things.........

Bradford......is a possible.....but not likely......in my opinon....we need to wait until the sure thing guys are there......or else its just pointless.

Nobody is a sure thing... Could Suh blow out his knee in his first NFL practice?

Bradford would have battled for the top pick last year and would have definetly gone before Sanchez in the draft. I actually think that it was a smart decision to come out for Sanchez not because of ability but because all of the highly touted guys were going back to school. He had questionable experince (12 or so starts) and decision making when he came out but because it was Stafford him and Freeman he was a lock for a high pick.

Think Pennington... he was never the same QB after his shoulder injuries...

I'm gonna have to disagree with this. Last year was arguably Pennington's best season of his career. Now maybe his shoulder injuries prevented him from taking to a whole other level, but his game has been pretty consistent throughout, when healthy. He's never had a rocket for an arm. Not in college and not in the pros. Pre and post shoulder injuries, it seemed the same to me.

No such thing as a sure thing. Ask Ryan Leaf.

OK, I'm a cynic.

In Clausen's write-up. Replace the name 'Clausen' with 'Jason Campbell' and see the striking comparison. Good comp%, Low INT, Low TD production, Low #wins, His good games are against mediocore teams, etc.

For all the JC supporters, this should be your man. For the haters, it gives you reason to not like Cluasen.

OK, now let the mud slinging begin! :laugh:

I like Bradford the best ... adding a few lbs is not that difficult ... he seems to have it upstairs. he has great height which should allow him to throw from the pocket, great accuracy and seems to be able to read a defense pretty well.

I'm for Bradford or Okung at #4. HAIL.

OK, I'm a cynic.

In Clausen's write-up. Replace the name 'Clausen' with 'Jason Campbell' and see the striking comparison. Good comp%, Low INT, Low TD production, Low #wins, His good games are against mediocore teams, etc.

For all the JC supporters, this should be your man. For the haters, it gives you reason to not like Cluasen.

OK, now let the mud slinging begin! :laugh:

They are nothing alike.

Nobody is a sure thing... Could Suh blow out his knee in his first NFL practice?

Bradford would have battled for the top pick last year and would have definetly gone before Sanchez in the draft. I actually think that it was a smart decision to come out for Sanchez not because of ability but because all of the highly touted guys were going back to school. He had questionable experince (12 or so starts) and decision making when he came out but because it was Stafford him and Freeman he was a lock for a high pick.

Good points BlackBush. For this reason, I tj=hink Locker should have not returned to Washington. Although he is still green in terms of stats, he has been recognized by many mock drafts to go in the first round. Several say the first QB. That's money in the bank. How could he improve on that?

I would rather sign campbell for 2 years and wait for a better crop of QB's next year...

This year's group does not impress me at all...

Funny everyone was saying the same thing last year and how this was going to be a GREAT year for QB's.

BTW Jason won't sign for two years.

Think Pennington... he was never the same QB after his shoulder injuries...

Of course we can't say for sure that will happen, but that is the QB shoulder injury that I remember off the top of my head.

Drew Brees

When you have a chance to draft an elite QB you do it. Because hopefully we never have the number 4 pick overall again

Here is the thing... I will trust the coaches and our scouting department to make the right decision...

I just don't want to draft a QB for the sake of drafting a QB... I want to make sure the guy we bring in is someone we can truly build around... I want patience to be our new mantra. The thing I am most concerned about with McCoy and Bradford is their size. This is the NFC East division... this is a tough, knocking heads division and if any of these guys get injured easily when taking a hit, then we could end up screwed.

I know you never know what can happen to a player, and that a player could somehow change or get healthier, stronger, etc...

I am basing this on what I see NOW out of these guys.

I wish there was a Big Ben type of player out there right now, that is who I would take... Big player who can take a hit, because it will take a while to build a good offensive line, and whoever we have back there may be taking some knocks...

plus his offensive coordinator changed.

They are nothing alike.

I'll take your word for that. I didn't watch a single ND game. Although I'm not a 'stats' guy because wins are more important than stats. Here are some stats (don't take me to court on these ;):

Clausen (College): Att Comp % YPA TD/INT QB Rat Win:Loss

1,110 695 63.0 7.34 2.22 137 16:21

Campbell (College): 270 188 69.6 10.0 2.86 173 9:3

Campbell (NFL) 1,637 1,002 61% 6.63 1.45 82.3 28:18

Maybe Clausen has some big upside, but his college stats, albeit started more games than Campbell, don't look as good. And Clausen's stats are on par with Campbell's pro stats. And it's common that college QB stats plummet in the pros. I just don't like Clausen's win/loss record as a starter.

Talk amongst yourselves...

Tebow is head of class among top college senior QB prospects

brandt40x55.jpgBy Gil Brandt | NFL.com

As vice president of player personnel for the Cowboys from 1960-89, Gil Brandt helped Dallas grow into one of the most powerful and popular sports franchises in America.

His innovative management and personnel systems are standard operating procedure today for many teams at the professional and collegiate levels nationwide.

Brandt has spent the last eight years as NFL.com's main personnel guru and offers insight and commentary on all aspects of players and teams.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

The quarterback position is the ultimate team need. Without a solid player at this position, a team has little chance to win. That's why 29 quarterbacks have been selected first overall since the beginning of the draft in 1936.

One important predictor for success when drafting quarterbacks is the number of games started in college -- 30-plus seems to be the magic number of starts when talking about quarterbacks selected in the first round. The most important traits for quarterbacks to have to be successful are mental quickness, accuracy and intangibles that include work habits.

Note: This list only includes players who will have exhausted their eligibility after the 2009 season. Oklahoma's Sam Bradford will have a year of eligibility remaining due to redshirting his freshman year and was not included for that reason -- even though he would be a top prospect if he chooses to come out.

Here are the top 12 senior quarterback prospects NFL scouts will be keeping a close eye on this fall.

TOP SENIOR QUARTERBACKS

tim-tebow-100x125.jpg 1. Tim Tebow

College: Florida

Height/Weight: 6-3, 245

Tebow will be a third-year starter in 2009. He has thrown 67 touchdown passes and only 11 interceptions in the past three years. He will have a new quarterback coach this year, Scott Loeffler, who came from the NFL. Tebow should be a top-10 pick in the 2010 draft.

c_mccoy_100x125.jpg 2. Colt McCoy

College: Texas

Height/Weight: 6-2½, 215

McCoy completed 77 percent of his passes in 2008 for 34 touchdowns and only eight interceptions. He has above average running ability. He is a five-year player who has gotten a lot stronger since coming to Texas. McCoy has been well coached by Texas offensive coordinator Greg Davis. He will be a top-10 pick as a quarterback in the 2010 draft.

d_lefevour_100x125.jpg 3. Dan LeFevour

College: Central Michigan

Height/Weight: 6-3, 230

LeFevour will be a four-year starter and is only the second quarterback to pass for 3,000 yards and run for 1,000 more in NCAA Div. I history (former Texas QB Vince Young was the first). He is a fifth-year player.

j_brown_100x125.jpg 4. Jarrett Brown

College: West Virginia

Height/Weight: 6-2½, 228

Brown is a fifth-year player who had been in a backup role behind Pat White. He has a very strong arm and good athletic ability. He played on the Mountaineers basketball team in 2008. He is a risk/reward-type player.

t_hiller_100x125.jpg 5. Tim Hiller

College: Western Michigan

Height/Weight: 6-4, 230

Hiller started five games in 2005 as a true freshman. He missed the 2006 season due to injury. He is a 4.0 student and went to the same Ohio high school (Orrville) as Bob Knight. He has 76 touchdown passes in his career.

z_robinson_100x125.jpg 6. Zac Robinson

College: Oklahoma State

Height/Weight: 6-3, 220

Robinson threw 25 touchdown passes and only 10 interceptions in 2008 and set a school record for total yards in 2007. He has good accuracy and understanding of the game. He moves well.

t_pike_100x125.jpg 7. Tony Pike

College: Cincinnati

Height/Weight: 6-5½, 210

Pike didn't play a lot until 2005 -- had some up-and-down games and finished the season throwing four interceptions vs. Virginia Tech in the Orange Bowl. He does have upside, but will need to show more consistency.

i_williams_100x125.jpg 8. Isiah "Juice" Williams

College: Illinois

Height/Weight: 6-1¼, 235

Williams had 3,892 total yards in 2008. He is the best quarterback in the Big Ten, but he needs to become a better passer. He had 22 touchdown passes and 16 interceptions last season.

j_skelton_100x125.jpg 9. John Skelton

College: Fordham

Height/Weight: 6-5, 245

Skelton has started three years in a non-scholarship program (Patriot League). He has a good arm and upside, and seems to have the ability to compete for a spot at the next level.

m_hall_100x125.jpg 10. Max Hall

College: BYU

Height/Weight: 6-3¾, 200

Hall had 35 touchdown passes and 3,957 passing yards in 2008. He has 61 touchdown passes over the past two years. He is a transfer from Arizona State.

r_smith_100x125.jpg 11. Rusty Smith

College: Florida Atlantic

Height/Weight: 6-4, 230

Smith has thrown 62 touchdown passes in three seasons. He played in 2008 with a separated shoulder.

j_webb_100x125.jpg 12. Joe Webb

College: Alabama-Birmingham

Height/Weight: 6-3, 220

Webb had the athletic ability to play wide receiver in 2007, but needs to work on his passing.

Archived