Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A scouting report on the top 5 qb's available in the draft.(many links included)

x96bryan10

Have you ever participated in a political poll?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever participated in a political poll?

• Yes, I have been contacted and I did participate
    • No, I have been contacted and did not participate
    • I have never been contacted to participate in a poll

Tebow is head of class among top college senior QB prospects

brandt40x55.jpgBy Gil Brandt | NFL.com

As vice president of player personnel for the Cowboys from 1960-89, Gil Brandt helped Dallas grow into one of the most powerful and popular sports franchises in America.

His innovative management and personnel systems are standard operating procedure today for many teams at the professional and collegiate levels nationwide.

Brandt has spent the last eight years as NFL.com's main personnel guru and offers insight and commentary on all aspects of players and teams.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

The quarterback position is the ultimate team need. Without a solid player at this position, a team has little chance to win. That's why 29 quarterbacks have been selected first overall since the beginning of the draft in 1936.

One important predictor for success when drafting quarterbacks is the number of games started in college -- 30-plus seems to be the magic number of starts when talking about quarterbacks selected in the first round. The most important traits for quarterbacks to have to be successful are mental quickness, accuracy and intangibles that include work habits.

Note: This list only includes players who will have exhausted their eligibility after the 2009 season. Oklahoma's Sam Bradford will have a year of eligibility remaining due to redshirting his freshman year and was not included for that reason -- even though he would be a top prospect if he chooses to come out.

Here are the top 12 senior quarterback prospects NFL scouts will be keeping a close eye on this fall.

TOP SENIOR QUARTERBACKS

tim-tebow-100x125.jpg 1. Tim Tebow

College: Florida

Height/Weight: 6-3, 245

Tebow will be a third-year starter in 2009. He has thrown 67 touchdown passes and only 11 interceptions in the past three years. He will have a new quarterback coach this year, Scott Loeffler, who came from the NFL. Tebow should be a top-10 pick in the 2010 draft.

c_mccoy_100x125.jpg 2. Colt McCoy

College: Texas

Height/Weight: 6-2½, 215

McCoy completed 77 percent of his passes in 2008 for 34 touchdowns and only eight interceptions. He has above average running ability. He is a five-year player who has gotten a lot stronger since coming to Texas. McCoy has been well coached by Texas offensive coordinator Greg Davis. He will be a top-10 pick as a quarterback in the 2010 draft.

d_lefevour_100x125.jpg 3. Dan LeFevour

College: Central Michigan

Height/Weight: 6-3, 230

LeFevour will be a four-year starter and is only the second quarterback to pass for 3,000 yards and run for 1,000 more in NCAA Div. I history (former Texas QB Vince Young was the first). He is a fifth-year player.

j_brown_100x125.jpg 4. Jarrett Brown

College: West Virginia

Height/Weight: 6-2½, 228

Brown is a fifth-year player who had been in a backup role behind Pat White. He has a very strong arm and good athletic ability. He played on the Mountaineers basketball team in 2008. He is a risk/reward-type player.

I think was written about 6 months ago.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/stories.nsf/rams/story/8DAC6AA739E3835B8625767C001A1B5E?OpenDocument

"McCoy, 1; Bradford 2, Tebow 3," says Gil Brandt, matter-of-factly ticking off his ranking of the top three draft-eligible quarterbacks.

McCoy, of course, being University of Texas quarterback Colt McCoy.

"He was a scrawny kid coming out of high school," says Brandt, the longtime Dallas Cowboys personnel executive and current draft guru for NFL.com. "I'm really impressed with how he's worked to build up his body to the point where he now looks like an NFL quarterback. Now, do I wish he was two inches taller? Sure."

At 6-2, 212, McCoy still may not have the prototype NFL size. And some detractors feel he doesn't have the prototype NFL arm.

"Everybody looks for the prototype, but when it comes down to it, you've got to take the best guy," said longtime NFL scout Dave Razzano.

And when it comes to the "best guy," Razzano is in agreement with Brandt: It's McCoy.

"He looks like a bigger, stronger Drew Brees," said Razzano, a veteran of 21 NFL seasons as a scout, most recently with the Arizona Cardinals. "People are knocking Colt McCoy, and the first thing I hear is arm strength. Tony Romo sits to pee, Kurt Warner, they don't have a cannon. It's not about that. It's about timing, touch. And he throws a lot of deep balls. It's not a nickel-and-dime offense like some people make it out to be."

One of McCoy's assets is his quick release. "He just snaps it out so quick, and he can get out of trouble," Razzano said. "Hell, he had a 65-yard TD run Thursday night (against Texas A&M). He's mobile. He's a great leader. He's got fire in his belly."

Keep in mind, Warner measured in at 6-1 ½, 211 pounds coming out of Northern Iowa, and no one regards him as a small quarterback. Warner is heavier now, but most quarterbacks gain a little weight once they enter the NFL.

Were it not for his shoulder injury and subsequent surgery, OU's Bradford might be ahead of McCoy in the eyes of NFL draft evaluators.

"I talk to his dad about once a week, and I'm told it was a good surgery," Brandt said.

But because of the surgery, Bradford isn't expected to be able to throw for scouts until March. Will that be enough time to ease any concerns about the shoulder? And even if he looks good throwing the ball at that time, is it worth risking $50 million, $60 million, $70 million on him as a top-five pick?

In addition, there are some who wonder if Bradford has put in the time while at Oklahoma to build up his body to withstand the rigors — and the pounding — of NFL football.

Which brings us to Tebow, who really doesn't fit the NFL prototype because of his running ways and unorthodox throwing release.

"He's a better passer than people think ... I think he'll be a good NFL quarterback," Brandt said.

"Too many people say he's not a quarterback, but they were saying that about Vince Young a few weeks ago," Razzano said. "Now they're probably changing their tune on (Young)."

The Tennessee Titans have won their last four games since Young replaced Kerry Collins at quarterback. Like Brandt, Razzano feels Tebow is under-appreciated as a passer, particularly as a deep passer.

"He's accurate going down the field," Razzano said. "He throws it in tight spots. He throws it low and away; that's why he doesn't throw a lot of picks. The guy makes pretty good decisions."

Even if Washington's Jake Locker and Notre Dame's Jimmy Clausen turn pro early, they are unlikely to dislodge McCoy, Bradford and Tebow from the top three spots in the draft.

True enough, but Brandt is a professional scout and far more respected then any of the popular draft sites most of which are ran by people without any profressional scouting credentials.

Brandt's not to bad I like Mayock a little better though, but Mel's was a scout for a long time and worked under Ernie Accorsi before and during when he started his draft magazine.

Also as a note, teams have a habit of feigning interest in one QB so they can get their target QB.

Whoever the press says we are interested in may not be the QB we actually want

That is true except when Vinny is running your draft board everyone knows who you are going to take. But we dont have to worry about that this year. :D

Brandt's not to bad I like Mayock a little better though, but Mel's was a scout for a long time and worked under Ernie Accorsi before and during when he started his draft magazine.

I like Mayock's work, he not putting too much out now but when the draft nears his draft show is a must TIVO event in my house.

If you are including Pike and McCoy, you might as well throw in Snead, who has just as many warts as those too, and depending on if he declares or not, Ryan Mallett, who I think would become the 4th or 5th best QB in the draft if he does.

I think what seperates this QB crop is there is no consensus "top guy". There are never any sure things, hell, Matt Ryan was not a sure thing as the Falcons agonized between him and Glenn Dorsey right up to the moment they turned his card in. But Ryan was the consensus "top guy", so at the end of the day ranking the QBs in 2007 was much easier.

This year? Depending on who you talk to, they all have their opinion on who the best QB is. No one really stands out, and each guy has their warts. However, just because there is no top guy, doesn't mean that one or more of these guys could be franchise QBs.

Take for example Okung. He is benefitting tremendously by being the consensus top T in the draft by a mile. But just because he is the best of this group by association, it does not mean he would be the best in a good tackle class. I think he would probably have been the 3rd or 4th tackle drafted last year in strong tackle class.

I guess the point I am trying to make is that just becuase there is no clear top QB, does not mean this is a weak QB class. In fact, when I look at the "experts" write ups, it seems to me that they think that as many as 6-7 of these prospects could potentially be a long term starters for a team. Last year? The 4th QB taken was Pat White, to be a role player in the Wild Cat.

We just have to hope that the new brain trust makes the right decision.

It could depend on if Shanny wants a guy who right away (Clausen) or if he is content to keep Campbell for at least another year and groom a guy like Bradford.

If Shanny is not REALLY sold on either guy though and does think he can get something out of Campbell then the best solution may be to go Oline in the first and take McCoy in the second.

I dont like McCoys footwork and think he needs a lot of work but if a coach can mold a system around him he could develop into a good NFL starter.

^^^ That sounds like the right assessment of things and makes sense in those scenarios. Clausen for the more NFL ready, played in pro style offense, experienced, more polished, even if not prototypical size, crazy athlete etc. Bradford if you go with Campbell, where he has a chance to sit and learn, (to read defenses) etc. Then McCoy more raw/project guy that could be had later in the draft..don't know what that says for Brennan, or what Shanahan thinks of him. Man I'm anxious to see what develops coach/personnel and player wise. Who stays, who goes. should be an interesting off season as always.

The one thing about Clausin that I don't and its the same problem I have with JC is when you seen them take a team and drive them down the field to win the big game?

respectfully, you don't watch much Notre Dame football then

Claussen did that at least 3 times this year....

against USC he took a team down almost 4 TDs late in the 3rd quarter and had them on the goal line to tie when his receiver fell down in the end zone on the last play of the game...

he played on a team that had just a God awful defense, and kept them in it...Notre Dame won 6 games this year BECAUSE of him....and Golden Tate....those two together won the games for the Irish...and damn near won 2-3 more....the interception that clinched the game for Navy HIT NOTRE DAME'S RECEIVER SQUARE IN HIS NUMBER on the goal line, bounced into the air, and was intercepted....the kid catches that ball, and mini-tuna may still have a job (so I'm glad he dropped it)

i admittedly am a Notre Dame fan, but I was extremely impressed with Claussen this year...he already makes more pre-snap defensive reads then Campbell does...and he has the piss and fire to lead a football team....of anyone in this QB class, only Claussen or Tebow could I see grabbing Portis by the facemask next year in the huddle, telling him to STFU and play...

the Redskins need that kind of player at qb

This always happens before a draft. LeFevour reminds me a bit of Brett Favre when he came out. He is a nice project.

LeFevour is pretty good at scrambling and making plays like Favre was but I think that is where the similarities end. Favre's biggest asset coming into the NFL was the combination of the above and the fact that he had a cannon for an arm. LeFevour seems to have very mediocre arm strength. I wouldn't mind taking him in a later round, but not an early one. He will probably take a decent amount of time to get used to the NFL game.

respectfully, you don't watch much Notre Dame football then

Claussen did that at least 3 times this year....

against USC he took a team down almost 4 TDs late in the 3rd quarter and had them on the goal line to tie when his receiver fell down in the end zone on the last play of the game...

he played on a team that had just a God awful defense, and kept them in it...Notre Dame won 6 games this year BECAUSE of him....and Golden Tate....those two together won the games for the Irish...and damn near won 2-3 more....the interception that clinched the game for Navy HIT NOTRE DAME'S RECEIVER SQUARE IN HIS NUMBER on the goal line, bounced into the air, and was intercepted....the kid catches that ball, and mini-tuna may still have a job (so I'm glad he dropped it)

i admittedly am a Notre Dame fan, but I was extremely impressed with Claussen this year...he already makes more pre-snap defensive reads then Campbell does...and he has the piss and fire to lead a football team....of anyone in this QB class, only Claussen or Tebow could I see grabbing Portis by the facemask next year in the huddle, telling him to STFU and play...

the Redskins need that kind of player at qb

Yeah but almost only counts in horse shoe's and hand grenades. He took them down but could not seal the deal.

it was a smart decision to come out for Sanchez not because of ability but because all of the highly touted guys were going back to school. He had questionable experince (12 or so starts) and decision making when he came out but because it was Stafford him and Freeman he was a lock for a high pick.

Here is the supreme hilarity of some of the anti-QB people. Sanchez specifically came out last year, not only because he thought he was ready and took a lesson from matt leinart but because the crop of QBs THIS YEAR was supposed to be superior to last year.

Now, we have these same people who said last year wasn't impressive with Stafford and Sanchez telling us that THIS year isn't impressive. I was around in 2004, these same complaints were mentioned back then. The problem is, there is always nitpicking. even if Bradford had played this year, not gotten hurt and thrown for 4500 yards and 40 TDs they would say he is not a sure thing for OTHER reasons.

There is never a sure thing, even Elway wasn't "sure" and if Marino were viewed as being great he wouldn't have fallen as far as he did (hell, we drafted Darrell Green before Marino, right?--could we have used Marino while we had a great offensive line, great coaches and great defense? lol)

So just remember that someone took Ken O'Brien over Dan Marino and that NO draft class of QBs is regarded as a certainty.

This is a stronger QB class than last year. Hell, probably more than two years ago. But yet, for some, it is always a year too early to begin talking QB.

I think some people have just decided for themselves that Gibbs didn't have good QBs or that taking the only risk that is likely to win you games/titles is not worth it because it could bust, so better to get the guy who will not win you games directly because it's a slightly lower bust rate.

Here is the supreme hilarity of some of the anti-QB people. Sanchez specifically came out last year, not only because he thought he was ready and took a lesson from matt leinart but because the crop of QBs THIS YEAR was supposed to be superior to last year.

Now, we have these same people who said last year wasn't impressive with Stafford and Sanchez telling us that THIS year isn't impressive. I was around in 2004, these same complaints were mentioned back then. The problem is, there is always nitpicking. even if Bradford had played this year, not gotten hurt and thrown for 4500 yards and 40 TDs they would say he is not a sure thing for OTHER reasons.

There is never a sure thing, even Elway wasn't "sure" and if Marino were viewed as being great he wouldn't have fallen as far as he did (hell, we drafted Darrell Green before Marino, right?--could we have used Marino while we had a great offensive line, great coaches and great defense? lol)

So just remember that someone took Ken O'Brien over Dan Marino and that NO draft class of QBs is regarded as a certainty.

This is a stronger QB class than last year. Hell, probably more than two years ago. But yet, for some, it is always a year too early to begin talking QB.

I think some people have just decided for themselves that Gibbs didn't have good QBs or that taking the only risk that is likely to win you games/titles is not worth it because it could bust, so better to get the guy who will not win you games directly because it's a slightly lower bust rate.

Agree completely. This years crop is highly decorated and accomplished. Bradford would be considered a BPA if not for the injury. Clausen is an NFL prototype. McCoy is the most accurate winner to come out of college in a decade.

These guys are good, pick one. Tebow and Pike are crap though... pass on them.

Agree completely. This years crop is highly decorated and accomplished. Bradford would be considered a BPA if not for the injury. Clausen is an NFL prototype. McCoy is the most accurate winner to come out of college in a decade.

These guys are good, pick one. Tebow and Pike are crap though... pass on them.

Amazing that we can disagree so vehemently and then agree so breezily later. :D

But I agree with you, both in your first paragraph and in the second part.

I want no part of Pike and Tebow is the kind of long-term project you could afford in 1981. He will not fall far enough to entertain the idea of taking him.

Archived