Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Lavar's "theory" as to why Gray will be the defensive coordinator

SMOSS89

I personally thought it was Bush league on Jerry Gray's part to interview behind his head coaches back.

Sure, we all knew Zorn was getting canned, but couldn't he of respected Zorn enough to simply ask his permission first? I realize this is a cut throat business but I also feel theres a right and wrong way to go about things.

I thought the way Gray sort of secretly interviewed behind his coaches back was shady.

The goal of this organization needs to be trust, and team orientated. Jerry Gray did the complete opposite of that mentality.I would like to see the entire coaching staff cleaned out and allow our new head coach to hire the correct staff.

I've been wondering, myself, if Shanahan might have influenced the decision to use Orakpo at LB so he can see if he would be able to play OLB in a 3/4 defense. I've read other reports that Shanahan is considering a 3/4 and it's possible he wanted to know what he'd need to make the switch. Just a thought.

You want to know if Shanahan was making decisions for our team during the offseason? Wow conspiracy theorists are going wild.

Jerry Gray took one for the team when he interviewed for the head coaching position to satisfy the Rooney Rule. He knew he'd be rewarded for his contribution to the Washington Redskins, and that would come in the form of a promotion.

It strikes me as more noticing the obvious than developing a theory.

It's no secret that Blache is interested in promoting Gray's career. Blache has said so himself. Blache wants to see Gray advance and get a HC job at some point. So that much isn't news...it's been said and been known.

As for Lavar's "theory," he's not exactly the first person to think that something along these lines is going on. I don't think Gray will get the DC job, but may be in line for some kind of promotion, either here or elsewhere.

I have doubts about Gray's ability to handle the DC role. His secondary has looked terrible despite having talented players to work with. Now I'm not sure if that's his fault or if it's a product of Blache's broken system.

I think Mike Zimmer is the man for the job.

I'm not buying it.

The Redskins could have interviewed ANY NUMBER of minority coaches for the position at any point... to fulfill the Rooney rule. It's not that difficult to do.

The Redskins, or any other NFL franchise, aren't so hard up that they have to promise coordinator positions or promotions just for the *opportunity* to interview them. As if the Redskins didn't have any other possible alternatives to Gray.

And if they did.... then I'm done with this team.

Sure, we all knew Zorn was getting canned, but couldn't he of respected Zorn enough to simply ask his permission first?

Jerry Gray has no ties or loyalty to Zorn. He was in-place already when Zorn got here. For all we know, he may not even like the guy behind closed doors.

It makes sense on the one hand, but on most of the others it doesn't. Mainly because if it doesn't work out Gray will forever be blacklisted from the coaching ranks. Not only did he Benedict Arnold his HC, but did it for thirty pieces of silver. What coach would ever work with him again?

It'd be a good short term move, but a bad medium and long term move unless Shanahan truly gets us back to the glory years.

I've been wondering, myself, if Shanahan might have influenced the decision to use Orakpo at LB so he can see if he would be able to play OLB in a 3/4 defense. I've read other reports that Shanahan is considering a 3/4 and it's possible he wanted to know what he'd need to make the switch. Just a thought.

You bring up a good point. Shanahan spent the summer at the Steelers and Patriots training camp. What do those teams run? the 3-4 defense. Seems like that defense is really starting to get popular. Some may not agree with the Skins moving to the 3-4. But Orakpo said that he didn't care about switching to the 3-4, as long as he could rush the QB.

Look what Green Bay did this year!

Archived